Re: [SCA Newcomers] Norse (viking) looking for armor and garb

  • Sean OBrien
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
      OOPS!

    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
        On Tuesday 14 December 2004 14:44, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
        > Please remember that these lists are at least USA-wide, possibly even
        > world-wide, and to give mundane city/state/country locations when you post
        > information like this.

        In general, it's best not to post anyone's modern-world contact information
        (postal address, phone number) to this list unless you have their specific
        permission; archives of this and many other lists are very public, and people
        may object to their personal information being published on the Net. It's not
        specifically against the policy of this list, just a suggestion.

        Despotes Iustinos Tekton called Justin (Scott Courtney)
        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Korhyl Walker
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
          hope this will help some
          tents
          http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/norseaframe.htm
          http://www.tentsmiths.com/period-tents-viking.html

          English to Norwegian Dictionary
          http://www.freedict.com/onldict/nor.html

          Norse Gods and Goddesses
          http://fullmoon_deities.tripod.com/norse.html

          Viking old names and other info
          http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/

          Viking Runes
          http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/vikings/runes.html

        • Korhyl Walker
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
            sorry about not giving all my info i a 32 male from the Kingdom of Ansteorra (texas) and i am with in the lands of Shire of Emerald Keep (Waco).

            my truble is i am 6'4'' and near 300lb so i am having a hard time finding any thing that fits at all. i am looking for North man garb more then armor right now. thank you for the info sent all ready :)

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 15, 2004
              In a message dated 12/15/2004 9:22:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              Korhyl@... writes:

              <<my truble is i am 6'4'' and near 300lb so i am having a hard time finding
              any thing that fits at all.>>

              Sounds like you may need to go to custom-made then - I don't know how many
              merchants are going to carry much to fit that size range! If you were closer,
              I'd suggest you get on my husband's work list, but it's a bit hard to do
              fittings between Texas and PA.

              Can anyone closer to the relevant area put this gentleman in touch with
              either a merchant who sells "Big and Tall" sizes or someone who'll work on
              commission?

              Lancaster, PA

            • night_travler
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 29, 2004
                Hello - I'm 6'5 in the 200 range...
                I can help you out a bit -
                My first T-tunic - was easy to make - just need a seemstrees.
                I used a version of the 1800's work shirt from the
                Thomson Magazine. -
                For my pants I had to buy 4 yards of some cotton type that
                is carried at wall mart - less than $20.

                Lancaster is an easy area to find people to help you with garb.

                Because you have a few festivals in your area and Dinner theater.
                I use to live out near you a few years ago.

                Several of the Dinner Theater people or local theater group
                are costumers. Just don't be shy - expalin to them what you are
                doing. And they will be more than happy to help you out.

                http://www.parenaissancefaire.com/

                But as a beginner, just remember you may want to start slow - don't
                need to look 100% for a while - It took me some time to realize that
                I can collect my outfit one piece at a time.
                Because I started with just a shirt and a belt at my first event.

                And don't forget - you have the Omish in Lancaster so your bound to
                find all kinds of places that will carry sewing supplies and or
                the fabric you need.

                BTW - my Persona is a Viking too..

                Petrus Runvast
                Midwinde
                Northshield.

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
                  In a message dated 12/30/2004 9:04:32 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

                  <<Lancaster is an easy area to find people to help you with garb.

                  Because you have a few festivals in your area and Dinner theater.
                  I use to live out near you a few years ago.

                  Several of the Dinner Theater people or local theater group
                  are costumers. Just don't be shy - expalin to them what you are
                  doing. And they will be more than happy to help you out.

                  http://www.parenaissancefaire.com/>>

                  If you are talking Lancaster, PA, there is also an active SCA group here
                  with several very experienced costumers who are willing to either teach
                  newcomers or do work on commission. In point of fact, I am the chatelaine for this
                  group and will be teaching an intro to fabric class and hopefully a basic
                  tunic class within the next few weeks. Contact me directly if you are in the
                  area and interested.

                  <<But as a beginner, just remember you may want to start slow - don't
                  need to look 100% for a while - It took me some time to realize that
                  I can collect my outfit one piece at a time.
                  Because I started with just a shirt and a belt at my first event.>>

                  Quite true - but if you want to be accurate for your first event, that's
                  fine, too, and there are people who are willing to help you achieve that.

                  <<And don't forget - you have the Omish in Lancaster so your bound to
                  find all kinds of places that will carry sewing supplies and or
                  the fabric you need. >>

                  Don't count on it. The Amish use a lot of synthetics and inappropriate
                  weaves for period clothing, oddly enough. It's really easy to find printed
                  cotton calico or wool or synthetic knits, but not so easy to find linen or good
                  weaves of wool. There is, however, a shop catering to re-enactors (Timeless
                  Fabrics) which just opened in Palmyra, Lebanon County.

                  Lancaster, PA

                • lakesavernake
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Korhyl Walker <Korhyl@y...> wrote:

                    > sorry about not giving all my info i a 32 male from the Kingdom of
                    Ansteorra (texas) and i am with in the lands of Shire of Emerald Keep
                    (Waco).

                    > my truble is i am 6'4'' and near 300lb so i am having a hard time
                    finding any thing that fits at all. i am looking for North man garb
                    more then armor right now. thank you for the info sent all ready :)

                    Dear Korhyl,

                    I'm in Bjornsborg (San Antonio) a barony full of vikings. Some of
                    them are very large too. I would be very happy to help you with your
                    garb, and also point you to folks who know more about armour. The
                    viking answer lady lives in Byn Gwlad (Austin). Gunnoura is a weath
                    of information and is a very intertaining lady to talk to. Did you
                    know that Waco had a viking fest(non SCA) last year? There will be
                    another one this April. They are buying a full size longship from
                    Poland and will be sailing it down the river.

                    sincerely,
                    Seraphina
                    (aka Solveig to the vikings)
                  • Cathy Day
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
                      Now that I've received such great info about the history of the pen - thank
                      you all again - can anyone direct me to info about the people and garb of
                      12th and 13th century Finland? I think that's where I want to be from -
                      don't ask why - but pictures of clothing particularly seem to be
                      non-existent. I get a lot of pix of castles, which will be great if I ever
                      build one - lol. I'm looking for women's clothing, and any armor they may
                      have worn too. HELP - and pre-thanks.

                      Katara

                    • Anne
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
                        Yes! Waco is indeed holding VikingFest this coming year, and every
                        year for the next eight. :) So, here's the current link ...
                        http://www.vikingfest.com/

                        And, if you need help figuring out where to stay, or need specific
                        info on the Waco area, feel free to email me off-list, since I happen
                        to reside there.

                        Juliane Rose

                        On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:54:10 -0000, lakesavernake <aferrell@...> wrote:

                        > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Korhyl Walker <Korhyl@y...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > sorry about not giving all my info i a 32 male from the Kingdom of
                        > Ansteorra (texas) and i am with in the lands of Shire of Emerald Keep
                        > (Waco).
                        > >
                        > > my truble is i am 6'4'' and near 300lb so i am having a hard time
                        > finding any thing that fits at all. i am looking for North man garb
                        > more then armor right now. thank you for the info sent all ready :)
                        > >

                        > Dear Korhyl,
                        >
                        > I'm in Bjornsborg (San Antonio) a barony full of vikings. Some of
                        > them are very large too. I would be very happy to help you with your
                        > garb, and also point you to folks who know more about armour. The
                        > viking answer lady lives in Byn Gwlad (Austin). Gunnoura is a weath
                        > of information and is a very intertaining lady to talk to. Did you
                        > know that Waco had a viking fest(non SCA) last year? There will be
                        > another one this April. They are buying a full size longship from
                        > Poland and will be sailing it down the river.
                        >
                        > sincerely,
                        > Seraphina
                        > (aka Solveig to the vikings)
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        ~ Not all who wander are lost .... ~

                        Well-behaved women rarely make history.

                        "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt
                        of in your philosophy."

                        --From Hamlet (I, v, 166-167)