Re: [SCA Newcomers] Norse (viking) looking for armor and garb

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
      In a message dated 12/14/2004 12:08:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      swordfrog@... writes:

      <<personally i would like to take a look at the sites your talking
      about. feel free to email them to me.>>

      I'll post them here in case others can make use of them as well.

      I should note that my husband did this research several years ago, so it's
      possible that some of the sites may have moved or no longer be at the same
      adresses.

      An Archaeological Guide to Viking Men's Clothing
      http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/mensgarb.html

      Viking Tunic Construction
      http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/viktunic.html

      The Viking Experience
      http://www.viking-experience.co.uk/

      Regia Anglorum, a British re-enactment society
      http://www.regia.org/

      These should be good places to start for Viking era, and the Regia Anglorum
      site has Anglo-Saxon and Norman information as well.

      Lancaster, PA

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
        In a message dated 12/14/2004 12:21:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        ohoolighanofnorthkeep@... writes:

        <<If you are interested in armour please join us at Lord Angus Gunn's
        Armouring Night, Fridays at 7:30pm. His address is 1737 S. Indianapolis. That is
        one block east of Harvard, just north of 21st Street. >>

        Please remember that these lists are at least USA-wide, possibly even
        world-wide, and to give mundane city/state/country locations when you post
        information like this. You may have just invited someone from Southern California to
        make a trip to the East Kingdom for Armouring Night...

        Lancaster, PA

      • Sean OBrien
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
          OOPS!

        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
            On Tuesday 14 December 2004 14:44, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
            > Please remember that these lists are at least USA-wide, possibly even
            > world-wide, and to give mundane city/state/country locations when you post
            > information like this.

            In general, it's best not to post anyone's modern-world contact information
            (postal address, phone number) to this list unless you have their specific
            permission; archives of this and many other lists are very public, and people
            may object to their personal information being published on the Net. It's not
            specifically against the policy of this list, just a suggestion.

            Despotes Iustinos Tekton called Justin (Scott Courtney)
            keys fesswise reversed sable.

          • Korhyl Walker
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
              hope this will help some
              tents
              http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/norseaframe.htm
              http://www.tentsmiths.com/period-tents-viking.html

              English to Norwegian Dictionary
              http://www.freedict.com/onldict/nor.html

              Norse Gods and Goddesses
              http://fullmoon_deities.tripod.com/norse.html

              Viking old names and other info
              http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/

              Viking Runes
              http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/vikings/runes.html

            • Korhyl Walker
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
                sorry about not giving all my info i a 32 male from the Kingdom of Ansteorra (texas) and i am with in the lands of Shire of Emerald Keep (Waco).

                my truble is i am 6'4'' and near 300lb so i am having a hard time finding any thing that fits at all. i am looking for North man garb more then armor right now. thank you for the info sent all ready :)

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 15, 2004
                  In a message dated 12/15/2004 9:22:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                  Korhyl@... writes:

                  <<my truble is i am 6'4'' and near 300lb so i am having a hard time finding
                  any thing that fits at all.>>

                  Sounds like you may need to go to custom-made then - I don't know how many
                  merchants are going to carry much to fit that size range! If you were closer,
                  I'd suggest you get on my husband's work list, but it's a bit hard to do
                  fittings between Texas and PA.

                  Can anyone closer to the relevant area put this gentleman in touch with
                  either a merchant who sells "Big and Tall" sizes or someone who'll work on
                  commission?

                  Lancaster, PA

                • night_travler
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 29, 2004
                    Hello - I'm 6'5 in the 200 range...
                    I can help you out a bit -
                    My first T-tunic - was easy to make - just need a seemstrees.
                    I used a version of the 1800's work shirt from the
                    Thomson Magazine. -
                    For my pants I had to buy 4 yards of some cotton type that
                    is carried at wall mart - less than $20.

                    Lancaster is an easy area to find people to help you with garb.

                    Because you have a few festivals in your area and Dinner theater.
                    I use to live out near you a few years ago.

                    Several of the Dinner Theater people or local theater group
                    are costumers. Just don't be shy - expalin to them what you are
                    doing. And they will be more than happy to help you out.

                    http://www.parenaissancefaire.com/

                    But as a beginner, just remember you may want to start slow - don't
                    need to look 100% for a while - It took me some time to realize that
                    I can collect my outfit one piece at a time.
                    Because I started with just a shirt and a belt at my first event.

                    And don't forget - you have the Omish in Lancaster so your bound to
                    find all kinds of places that will carry sewing supplies and or
                    the fabric you need.

                    BTW - my Persona is a Viking too..

                    Petrus Runvast
                    Midwinde
                    Northshield.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
                      In a message dated 12/30/2004 9:04:32 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

                      <<Lancaster is an easy area to find people to help you with garb.

                      Because you have a few festivals in your area and Dinner theater.
                      I use to live out near you a few years ago.

                      Several of the Dinner Theater people or local theater group
                      are costumers. Just don't be shy - expalin to them what you are
                      doing. And they will be more than happy to help you out.

                      http://www.parenaissancefaire.com/>>

                      If you are talking Lancaster, PA, there is also an active SCA group here
                      with several very experienced costumers who are willing to either teach
                      newcomers or do work on commission. In point of fact, I am the chatelaine for this
                      group and will be teaching an intro to fabric class and hopefully a basic
                      tunic class within the next few weeks. Contact me directly if you are in the
                      area and interested.

                      <<But as a beginner, just remember you may want to start slow - don't
                      need to look 100% for a while - It took me some time to realize that
                      I can collect my outfit one piece at a time.
                      Because I started with just a shirt and a belt at my first event.>>

                      Quite true - but if you want to be accurate for your first event, that's
                      fine, too, and there are people who are willing to help you achieve that.

                      <<And don't forget - you have the Omish in Lancaster so your bound to
                      find all kinds of places that will carry sewing supplies and or
                      the fabric you need. >>

                      Don't count on it. The Amish use a lot of synthetics and inappropriate
                      weaves for period clothing, oddly enough. It's really easy to find printed
                      cotton calico or wool or synthetic knits, but not so easy to find linen or good
                      weaves of wool. There is, however, a shop catering to re-enactors (Timeless
                      Fabrics) which just opened in Palmyra, Lebanon County.

                      Lancaster, PA

                    • lakesavernake
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
                        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Korhyl Walker <Korhyl@y...> wrote:

                        > sorry about not giving all my info i a 32 male from the Kingdom of
                        Ansteorra (texas) and i am with in the lands of Shire of Emerald Keep
                        (Waco).

                        > my truble is i am 6'4'' and near 300lb so i am having a hard time
                        finding any thing that fits at all. i am looking for North man garb
                        more then armor right now. thank you for the info sent all ready :)

                        Dear Korhyl,

                        I'm in Bjornsborg (San Antonio) a barony full of vikings. Some of
                        them are very large too. I would be very happy to help you with your
                        garb, and also point you to folks who know more about armour. The
                        viking answer lady lives in Byn Gwlad (Austin). Gunnoura is a weath
                        of information and is a very intertaining lady to talk to. Did you
                        know that Waco had a viking fest(non SCA) last year? There will be
                        another one this April. They are buying a full size longship from
                        Poland and will be sailing it down the river.

                        sincerely,
                        Seraphina
                        (aka Solveig to the vikings)
                      • Cathy Day
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
                          Now that I've received such great info about the history of the pen - thank
                          you all again - can anyone direct me to info about the people and garb of
                          12th and 13th century Finland? I think that's where I want to be from -
                          don't ask why - but pictures of clothing particularly seem to be
                          non-existent. I get a lot of pix of castles, which will be great if I ever
                          build one - lol. I'm looking for women's clothing, and any armor they may
                          have worn too. HELP - and pre-thanks.

                          Katara

                        • Anne
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
                            Yes! Waco is indeed holding VikingFest this coming year, and every
                            year for the next eight. :) So, here's the current link ...
                            http://www.vikingfest.com/

                            And, if you need help figuring out where to stay, or need specific
                            info on the Waco area, feel free to email me off-list, since I happen
                            to reside there.

                            Juliane Rose

                            On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:54:10 -0000, lakesavernake <aferrell@...> wrote:

                            > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Korhyl Walker <Korhyl@y...> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > sorry about not giving all my info i a 32 male from the Kingdom of
                            > Ansteorra (texas) and i am with in the lands of Shire of Emerald Keep
                            > (Waco).
                            > >
                            > > my truble is i am 6'4'' and near 300lb so i am having a hard time
                            > finding any thing that fits at all. i am looking for North man garb
                            > more then armor right now. thank you for the info sent all ready :)
                            > >

                            > Dear Korhyl,
                            >
                            > I'm in Bjornsborg (San Antonio) a barony full of vikings. Some of
                            > them are very large too. I would be very happy to help you with your
                            > garb, and also point you to folks who know more about armour. The
                            > viking answer lady lives in Byn Gwlad (Austin). Gunnoura is a weath
                            > of information and is a very intertaining lady to talk to. Did you
                            > know that Waco had a viking fest(non SCA) last year? There will be
                            > another one this April. They are buying a full size longship from
                            > Poland and will be sailing it down the river.
                            >
                            > sincerely,
                            > Seraphina
                            > (aka Solveig to the vikings)
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            ~ Not all who wander are lost .... ~

                            Well-behaved women rarely make history.

                            "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt
                            of in your philosophy."

                            --From Hamlet (I, v, 166-167)