Re: [SCA Newcomers] Norse (viking) looking for armor and garb

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
      In a message dated 12/14/2004 10:12:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      Korhyl@... writes:

      <<hello just finshing up on my SCA name. i am trying to find Nores
      looking garb and armor any ideas please?>>

      Any particular time period? Are you thinking Viking era Norse, or somewhat
      later? Men's or women's?

      My husband has a huge folder of research he did on Norse men's clothing for a
      potential customer (my husband's a tailor, with emphasis on authentic
      materials and look); I'd be happy to pull some of the URLs from it, but they won't be
      much help to you if you want women's stuff.

      Lancaster, PA

    • swordfrog
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
        personally i would like to take a look at the sites your talking
        about. feel free to email them to me.

        gratious thanks
        john carter aka swordfrog aka gunthar zuckerbar

        On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:19:27 EST, bronwynmgn@... <bronwynmgn@...> wrote:
        > In a message dated 12/14/2004 10:12:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        > Korhyl@... writes:
        >
        > <<hello just finshing up on my SCA name. i am trying to find Nores
        > looking garb and armor any ideas please?>>
        >
        > Any particular time period? Are you thinking Viking era Norse, or somewhat
        > later? Men's or women's?
        >
        > My husband has a huge folder of research he did on Norse men's clothing for
        > potential customer (my husband's a tailor, with emphasis on authentic
        > materials and look); I'd be happy to pull some of the URLs from it, but they
        > won't be
        > much help to you if you want women's stuff.
        >

        > Brangwayna Morgan
        > Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
        > Lancaster, PA

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        swordfrog
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
          In a message dated 12/14/2004 12:08:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          swordfrog@... writes:

          <<personally i would like to take a look at the sites your talking
          about. feel free to email them to me.>>

          I'll post them here in case others can make use of them as well.

          I should note that my husband did this research several years ago, so it's
          possible that some of the sites may have moved or no longer be at the same
          adresses.

          An Archaeological Guide to Viking Men's Clothing
          http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/mensgarb.html

          Viking Tunic Construction
          http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/viktunic.html

          The Viking Experience
          http://www.viking-experience.co.uk/

          Regia Anglorum, a British re-enactment society
          http://www.regia.org/

          These should be good places to start for Viking era, and the Regia Anglorum
          site has Anglo-Saxon and Norman information as well.

          Lancaster, PA

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
            In a message dated 12/14/2004 12:21:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            ohoolighanofnorthkeep@... writes:

            <<If you are interested in armour please join us at Lord Angus Gunn's
            Armouring Night, Fridays at 7:30pm. His address is 1737 S. Indianapolis. That is
            one block east of Harvard, just north of 21st Street. >>

            Please remember that these lists are at least USA-wide, possibly even
            world-wide, and to give mundane city/state/country locations when you post
            information like this. You may have just invited someone from Southern California to
            make a trip to the East Kingdom for Armouring Night...

            Lancaster, PA

          • Sean OBrien
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
              OOPS!

            • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
                On Tuesday 14 December 2004 14:44, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
                > Please remember that these lists are at least USA-wide, possibly even
                > world-wide, and to give mundane city/state/country locations when you post
                > information like this.

                In general, it's best not to post anyone's modern-world contact information
                (postal address, phone number) to this list unless you have their specific
                permission; archives of this and many other lists are very public, and people
                may object to their personal information being published on the Net. It's not
                specifically against the policy of this list, just a suggestion.

                Despotes Iustinos Tekton called Justin (Scott Courtney)
                keys fesswise reversed sable.

              • Korhyl Walker
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
                  hope this will help some
                  tents
                  http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/norseaframe.htm
                  http://www.tentsmiths.com/period-tents-viking.html

                  English to Norwegian Dictionary
                  http://www.freedict.com/onldict/nor.html

                  Norse Gods and Goddesses
                  http://fullmoon_deities.tripod.com/norse.html

                  Viking old names and other info
                  http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/

                  Viking Runes
                  http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/vikings/runes.html

                • Korhyl Walker
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
                    sorry about not giving all my info i a 32 male from the Kingdom of Ansteorra (texas) and i am with in the lands of Shire of Emerald Keep (Waco).

                    my truble is i am 6'4'' and near 300lb so i am having a hard time finding any thing that fits at all. i am looking for North man garb more then armor right now. thank you for the info sent all ready :)

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 15, 2004
                      In a message dated 12/15/2004 9:22:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                      Korhyl@... writes:

                      <<my truble is i am 6'4'' and near 300lb so i am having a hard time finding
                      any thing that fits at all.>>

                      Sounds like you may need to go to custom-made then - I don't know how many
                      merchants are going to carry much to fit that size range! If you were closer,
                      I'd suggest you get on my husband's work list, but it's a bit hard to do
                      fittings between Texas and PA.

                      Can anyone closer to the relevant area put this gentleman in touch with
                      either a merchant who sells "Big and Tall" sizes or someone who'll work on
                      commission?

                      Lancaster, PA

                    • night_travler
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 29, 2004
                        Hello - I'm 6'5 in the 200 range...
                        I can help you out a bit -
                        My first T-tunic - was easy to make - just need a seemstrees.
                        I used a version of the 1800's work shirt from the
                        Thomson Magazine. -
                        For my pants I had to buy 4 yards of some cotton type that
                        is carried at wall mart - less than $20.

                        Lancaster is an easy area to find people to help you with garb.

                        Because you have a few festivals in your area and Dinner theater.
                        I use to live out near you a few years ago.

                        Several of the Dinner Theater people or local theater group
                        are costumers. Just don't be shy - expalin to them what you are
                        doing. And they will be more than happy to help you out.

                        http://www.parenaissancefaire.com/

                        But as a beginner, just remember you may want to start slow - don't
                        need to look 100% for a while - It took me some time to realize that
                        I can collect my outfit one piece at a time.
                        Because I started with just a shirt and a belt at my first event.

                        And don't forget - you have the Omish in Lancaster so your bound to
                        find all kinds of places that will carry sewing supplies and or
                        the fabric you need.

                        BTW - my Persona is a Viking too..

                        Petrus Runvast
                        Midwinde
                        Northshield.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
                          In a message dated 12/30/2004 9:04:32 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                          no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

                          <<Lancaster is an easy area to find people to help you with garb.

                          Because you have a few festivals in your area and Dinner theater.
                          I use to live out near you a few years ago.

                          Several of the Dinner Theater people or local theater group
                          are costumers. Just don't be shy - expalin to them what you are
                          doing. And they will be more than happy to help you out.

                          http://www.parenaissancefaire.com/>>

                          If you are talking Lancaster, PA, there is also an active SCA group here
                          with several very experienced costumers who are willing to either teach
                          newcomers or do work on commission. In point of fact, I am the chatelaine for this
                          group and will be teaching an intro to fabric class and hopefully a basic
                          tunic class within the next few weeks. Contact me directly if you are in the
                          area and interested.

                          <<But as a beginner, just remember you may want to start slow - don't
                          need to look 100% for a while - It took me some time to realize that
                          I can collect my outfit one piece at a time.
                          Because I started with just a shirt and a belt at my first event.>>

                          Quite true - but if you want to be accurate for your first event, that's
                          fine, too, and there are people who are willing to help you achieve that.

                          <<And don't forget - you have the Omish in Lancaster so your bound to
                          find all kinds of places that will carry sewing supplies and or
                          the fabric you need. >>

                          Don't count on it. The Amish use a lot of synthetics and inappropriate
                          weaves for period clothing, oddly enough. It's really easy to find printed
                          cotton calico or wool or synthetic knits, but not so easy to find linen or good
                          weaves of wool. There is, however, a shop catering to re-enactors (Timeless
                          Fabrics) which just opened in Palmyra, Lebanon County.

                          Lancaster, PA

                        • lakesavernake
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
                            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Korhyl Walker <Korhyl@y...> wrote:

                            > sorry about not giving all my info i a 32 male from the Kingdom of
                            Ansteorra (texas) and i am with in the lands of Shire of Emerald Keep
                            (Waco).

                            > my truble is i am 6'4'' and near 300lb so i am having a hard time
                            finding any thing that fits at all. i am looking for North man garb
                            more then armor right now. thank you for the info sent all ready :)

                            Dear Korhyl,

                            I'm in Bjornsborg (San Antonio) a barony full of vikings. Some of
                            them are very large too. I would be very happy to help you with your
                            garb, and also point you to folks who know more about armour. The
                            viking answer lady lives in Byn Gwlad (Austin). Gunnoura is a weath
                            of information and is a very intertaining lady to talk to. Did you
                            know that Waco had a viking fest(non SCA) last year? There will be
                            another one this April. They are buying a full size longship from
                            Poland and will be sailing it down the river.

                            sincerely,
                            Seraphina
                            (aka Solveig to the vikings)
                          • Cathy Day
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
                              Now that I've received such great info about the history of the pen - thank
                              you all again - can anyone direct me to info about the people and garb of
                              12th and 13th century Finland? I think that's where I want to be from -
                              don't ask why - but pictures of clothing particularly seem to be
                              non-existent. I get a lot of pix of castles, which will be great if I ever
                              build one - lol. I'm looking for women's clothing, and any armor they may
                              have worn too. HELP - and pre-thanks.

                              Katara

                            • Anne
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
                                Yes! Waco is indeed holding VikingFest this coming year, and every
                                year for the next eight. :) So, here's the current link ...
                                http://www.vikingfest.com/

                                And, if you need help figuring out where to stay, or need specific
                                info on the Waco area, feel free to email me off-list, since I happen
                                to reside there.

                                Juliane Rose

                                On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:54:10 -0000, lakesavernake <aferrell@...> wrote:

                                > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Korhyl Walker <Korhyl@y...> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > sorry about not giving all my info i a 32 male from the Kingdom of
                                > Ansteorra (texas) and i am with in the lands of Shire of Emerald Keep
                                > (Waco).
                                > >
                                > > my truble is i am 6'4'' and near 300lb so i am having a hard time
                                > finding any thing that fits at all. i am looking for North man garb
                                > more then armor right now. thank you for the info sent all ready :)
                                > >

                                > Dear Korhyl,
                                >
                                > I'm in Bjornsborg (San Antonio) a barony full of vikings. Some of
                                > them are very large too. I would be very happy to help you with your
                                > garb, and also point you to folks who know more about armour. The
                                > viking answer lady lives in Byn Gwlad (Austin). Gunnoura is a weath
                                > of information and is a very intertaining lady to talk to. Did you
                                > know that Waco had a viking fest(non SCA) last year? There will be
                                > another one this April. They are buying a full size longship from
                                > Poland and will be sailing it down the river.
                                >
                                > sincerely,
                                > Seraphina
                                > (aka Solveig to the vikings)
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                ~ Not all who wander are lost .... ~

                                Well-behaved women rarely make history.

                                "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt
                                of in your philosophy."

                                --From Hamlet (I, v, 166-167)