Updated moderation status on numerous members of this list

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2004
      Good afternoon, all!

      As you probably recall, this list automatically requires moderator approval
      for posted messages from new members. This is done as an anti-spam measure,
      to prevent spambots from subscribing themselves under bogus Yahoo! IDs and
      posting pr0n and other trash to this list (a problem that we have had in
      the past).

      I had a little time available this afternoon, so I walked through the 700+
      member listings and manually set to un-moderated those members whose profile
      clearly indicated that they weren't spambots. For example, many members of
      this list have their shire or kingdom named as their "location" in the Yahoo!
      profile. Spambots rarely if ever would guess that information. There were also
      a surprising number of members whose email addresses were personally known to
      me.

      As a rough estimate, I'd say that about 30 or so people are now able to post
      without moderator approval. If I had any doubts at all about the membership
      not being a spambot, I left it unchanged, because the spambots *do* put
      bogus (but real-sounding) names into their profiles sometimes. I was
      specifically looking for profiles that indicated a SCAdian locality or other
      definitive info, or those for which I could vouch personally because I know
      the owner in the real world.

      This is *not* a recommendation for anyone to "do" anything. Don't rush out
      and change your Yahoo! profile, because I won't automatically see it. For
      most people, your first post to this list will be moderated, we'll see that
      you are a real person rather than a spambot, and we'll set your membership
      to allow unmoderated posts. :-) The only reason I'm mentioning this on the
      list is that (1) I believe in pro-active communication with members on
      lists that I moderate, and (2) I wasn't sure if Yahoo! might send you out
      a notice that your status had been changed, and I didn't want to alarm
      anyone.

      Some people got a status upgrade from this, most people remain the same,
      and *nobody* was downgraded. I'm just keeping you in-the-know about what's
      going on. :-)

      Have a nice day, and whatever your invididual spiritual/cultural background,
      please accept my wishes for a happy and safe holiday season!

      Warm regards,

      Justin
      Member, list moderation team

      Despotes Iustinos Tekton called Justin (Scott Courtney)
      keys fesswise reversed sable.