Re: [SCA Newcomers] chosen a period, now I need a name

  • Alison Choyce
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2004
      <<Subject: RE: [SCA Newcomers] chosen a period, now I need a name
      If you search on the internet, that can help.

      Plus a trip to your local library or university libraries is good too. They
      often have books that just contain names that were used in various time
      periods.>>

      You have to be careful, though, that it's a good source. You are looking for it to tell you where they got the names from, and to cite dates for when the name was used. This is why I suggested the two books in my earlier post, as well as St Gabriel's Academy. If you do find a name in a source that you're not sure about, then photocopy the page your name is on, and the page the copyright info is on, to show to your herald.

      In order to submit a name, it needs to be documented to period from a reliable source. If you do not want to submit now, that's fine, you don't have to. But, just in case you decide to later on (for instance if you want to submit a device/arms, you must also submit or already have a registered name), it needs to be in a period form appropriate to that time and culture.

      If you are not already attached to a name, then now is an ideal time to look at period naming practices and to pick a name that is reasonable to your time and culture.

      In service,
      Alison Wodehalle
      Shire of Hartshorn-dale, East Kingdom