Re: [SCA Newcomers] chosen a period, now I need a name

  • Alison Choyce
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2004
      Hi,

      Try St Gabriel's as a starting point http://www.s-gabriel.org/ . I am, however, having trouble today with St Gabe's website, it may be down today. If you are able to access that site, they have names that have been researched categorized into place and time, and there is a lot on English names. Also talk with your local herald to see if they have access to English name books such as Reaney and Wilson's "A Dictionary of English Surnames" (which contains plenty of given names), and Ekwall's "English Placenames" (again has just as many given names). Any of these sources will give dependable dates and help you decide what is a good name for you. And before submitting a name, try using it for a while. See if you are comfortable with signing your emails with it and introducing yourself by that name.

      One last thing, if you are interested in 14th century Engalnd, you might want to think about joining the Yahoo group "AOTC," which stands for Age of the Cotehardie. The words written out used to be the name of the group, but they were badly spammed and moved to this group. There is a lot of combined knowledge on that list, and it stays nicely on topic.

      In service,
      Alison
      Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 8:00 AM
      Subject: [SCA Newcomers] chosen a period, now I need a name

      How do you go about chosing a name for your persona. I've narrowed my
      time period to 14th century england, Now how do I find a name?

      Trish

    • Alison Choyce
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2004
        <<Subject: RE: [SCA Newcomers] chosen a period, now I need a name
        If you search on the internet, that can help.

        Plus a trip to your local library or university libraries is good too. They
        often have books that just contain names that were used in various time
        periods.>>

        You have to be careful, though, that it's a good source. You are looking for it to tell you where they got the names from, and to cite dates for when the name was used. This is why I suggested the two books in my earlier post, as well as St Gabriel's Academy. If you do find a name in a source that you're not sure about, then photocopy the page your name is on, and the page the copyright info is on, to show to your herald.

        In order to submit a name, it needs to be documented to period from a reliable source. If you do not want to submit now, that's fine, you don't have to. But, just in case you decide to later on (for instance if you want to submit a device/arms, you must also submit or already have a registered name), it needs to be in a period form appropriate to that time and culture.

        If you are not already attached to a name, then now is an ideal time to look at period naming practices and to pick a name that is reasonable to your time and culture.

        In service,
        Alison Wodehalle
        Shire of Hartshorn-dale, East Kingdom