Officially choosing a society name?

  • renratgael
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 2004
      Greetings all,
      After long researching and pondering, I have finally choosen a
      society name. My question now is this: must I fill in the official
      "name submission by an individual" form and send it to my local
      herald OR can I simply start using my name? I am asuming it must be
      documented to verify there is not another "john doe of warwickshire"
      out there (not my choosen name now, just an example!). There is
      a "consulting herald" section in the form- but, what if I have not
      heard back from a herald in regards to help with a name? (have sent a
      couple emails to a couple differnent herlads but have not gotten
      replies)
      Any info on this elusive subject would be greatly appreciated,
      Gael (for now)
    • Signora Beatrice
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 19, 2004
        Unto all, greetings from Beatrice, former deputy Kingdom Herald (Dexter
        Gauntlet, An Tir, if you're interested).

        --- renratgael <renratgael@...> wrote:
        > After long researching and pondering, I have finally choosen a
        > society name. My question now is this: must I fill in the official
        > "name submission by an individual" form and send it to my local
        > herald OR can I simply start using my name? I am asuming it must be
        > documented to verify there is not another "john doe of warwickshire"
        > out there (not my choosen name now, just an example!). There is
        > a "consulting herald" section in the form- but, what if I have not
        > heard back from a herald in regards to help with a name? (have sent a
        > couple emails to a couple differnent herlads but have not gotten
        > replies)
        > Any info on this elusive subject would be greatly appreciated,
        > Gael (for now)

        While customs differ for each College of Heralds in each Kingdom, I can
        tell you my experiences.

        You may _use_ any name you like. If you wish to register a device or
        badge, you must have a registerable name to go with it. There are some
        offices/awards/areas where registration is required, but just attending
        events does not require registration.

        It is common courtesy to check to see that you are not using the same name
        as someone else, but it is not required unless you are registering.

        We do recommend trying out a name before you register it. The
        registration process can take up to a year (occasionally longer, sometimes
        shorter), and it would be "icky" for you to register a name and hate it in
        six months, and then have to pay to have it changed. In addition to
        trying out the sound, write it down and have people try to pronounce it.
        I guarantee that some court herald, some day, will find new and
        interesting ways to mispronounce it, but avoiding a bad and common
        mispronounciation may be in your best interests. For example, if your
        name looks like a bodily function, and gets pronounced that way, you may
        not want that name, even if that isn't really what it means/sounds like.

        The "consulting herald" space on the form is not a requirement (at least
        in An Tir). It is put there so that the College has someone else to
        contact about your desires and wishes. For example, were you to list me
        as your consulting herald, the College could ask me what your intentions
        were without having to translate from herald-speak. Also, the consulting
        herald can be used as a gateway to talk to the submitter about other
        options, again, so that the College of Heralds can talk to someone who
        understands the rules and language and is willing and able to assist the
        submitter with any problems.

        Gael, if you'd like to contact me off list, I'd be willing to give the
        name a go. I'm not a great names herald, but I know people who are. You
        might also find out if your Kingdom has a heraldic email list. I know An
        Tir does, and we get questions from submitters all the time. It may be
        that the heralds you've emailed just don't have expertise in your
        particular culture/time period.

        I hope this is clearer than mud, and if anyone has any questions, please
        post!!

        In Service to Lioncourt Manor and An Tir,
        Signora Beatrice Domenici della Campana, AoA
        Kingdom Chatelaine, An Tir

        =====
        In Service to the Dream and to An Tir,
        Signora Beatrice Domenici della Campana, AoA
        Reporting Deputy to the Kingdom Chatelaine
        -Argent, a lion rampant to sinister sable and in chief on two roses azure two roses argent.

        http://my.yahoo.com