period music

  • Katie
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 13, 2004
      Are there any readily available resources about period music, either on the
      web or usually available through ILL? CD's? I'm mostly interested in
      European, no particular time. I've played piano and viola for years, and
      have therefore studied music from the 17th century through today, but I've
      hit a block in finding anything more than a paragraph about pre-1600 music.
      I'm looking partly because I'd like to continue studying the evolution of
      music, but I really want to find some that I can play (or possibly sing) at
      events. I'd also like to find some resources discussing the, uhm,
      "construction" is the best word I can think of, of period music.

      Also, does anyone know of a place to find cheap but quality period
      instruments? My main interest is in strings or woodwinds.

      TIA,
      Gytha
    • Susan Farmer
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 13, 2004
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Katie" <nebulosity@c...> wrote:

        > Are there any readily available resources about period music, either
        on the
        > web or usually available through ILL? CD's? I'm mostly interested in
        > European, no particular time. I've played piano and viola for
        years, and
        > have therefore studied music from the 17th century through today,
        but I've
        > hit a block in finding anything more than a paragraph about pre-1600
        music.
        > I'm looking partly because I'd like to continue studying the
        evolution of
        > music, but I really want to find some that I can play (or possibly
        sing) at
        > events. I'd also like to find some resources discussing the, uhm,
        > "construction" is the best word I can think of, of period music.

        What part of the World are you located in? In my barony in Meridies,
        we have a period vocal group -- but I know that there are lots of
        folks with other musical instruments -- harp, recorder, tin-whistle, etc.

        > Also, does anyone know of a place to find cheap but quality period
        > instruments? My main interest is in strings or woodwinds.

        Try Lark in the Morning -- they're not always cheap; but they're good.

        Jerusha
      • oisswafford
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 15, 2004
          > > Also, does anyone know of a place to find cheap but quality period
          > > instruments? My main interest is in strings or woodwinds.
          >
          > Try Lark in the Morning -- they're not always cheap; but they're
          good.

          > Jerusha

          You can also try Musicmaker's Kits @ http://www.musikit.com - I
          haven't bought anything from them but I've heard good things about
          them on another list. You can either by finished instruments or the
          kits to make your own. (I may get a harp sooner than I thought :-D)

          Lark in the Morning's website is http://www.larkinthemorning.com -
          haven't bought anything from them either but heard good things.

          Bridget
        • Stefan li Rous
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 16, 2012
            D'vorah bint al-Attar replied to Honour with:
            =====
            On 13 Jan 2012, at 8:06 PM, Honour Horne-Jaruk wrote:

            > There's a renaissance instrument perfect for your purposes. It's a
            > Vihuela

            Thank you! I'm going to have fun looking for vihuela music for Akim. I
            hope he's interested in playing it once I've found it!
            ======

            Is music often written for a specific instrument? Or is it just a
            matter of finding music for family of instruments that are similar?
            Ie: large stringed instrument vs. small string instrument vs. woodwind
            etc?

            I might suspect that little enough period musical scores exist at all,
            such that limiting yourself to music scores for just a Vihuela might
            be artificially limiting>

            But I am not a musician.

            Stefan

            --------
            http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
          • D'vorah bint al-Attar
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 16, 2012
              On 16 Jan 2012, at 12:48 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

              > Is music often written for a specific instrument? Or is it just a
              > matter of finding music for family of instruments that are similar?
              > Ie: large stringed instrument vs. small string instrument vs. woodwind
              > etc?
              >
              > I might suspect that little enough period musical scores exist at all,
              > such that limiting yourself to music scores for just a Vihuela might
              > be artificially limiting>
              >
              > But I am not a musician.
              >
              > Stefan

              Music written for a trumpet can be played by a flute, if it's within the ranges possible on both instruments. Music written for a solo flute can be played on the piano, if you don't mind just having a melody line. Music written for an instrument that can play multiple notes at the same time -- piano, violin, harpsichord -- can NOT be played on a flute, because a flute can only play one note at once.

              Music written for an instrument tuned to the key of C (flute, piano, violin) can be played by any other instrument, provided that instrument has the same range (or a one-octave difference, say). It can also be written by an instrument tuned to the key of B-flat (clarinet, trumpet), or the key of F (French horn). However, if another instrument is going to play accompaniment or a duet with it, that instrument will have to either be tuned the same, so that the notes sound the same together, or the music will have to be transcribed for one or both of them, or they'll sound horribly out of tune together.

              There are pieces written for a guitar that could be played on any stringed instrument, it's true. But there are some chords that need more than, say, four strings to play (because there are more than four notes in the chord.

              So, yes, it matters -- a bit, at least -- whether the piece was written for a "guitar or similar" instrument.
              D'vorah bint al-Attar
              dvorah@...
              Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
            • i_love_latin
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 17, 2012
                Basically the rule of thumb was that if the piece fit the range of your instrument, and everyone could transpose to the same key if needed, you could play the piece. So, essentially, instrumentation was restricted by the instruments themselves rather than the composers. I would suggest, however, that in a performance situation, pieces written for a full consort be kept that way, even i you're using a different family of instruments. But that may be just me.

                Another thing that can work, especially if you're just fiddling around and playing chants rather than instrumental music, is this: you can take advantage of instruments in different keys to create instant parallel organum. Just take an instrument tuned to C and add one tuned in F or G (4ths or 5ths), and have both play the line as written.

                Hope that helps!
                Alana Goodewyn

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, D'vorah bint al-Attar <dvorah@...> wrote:

                > On 16 Jan 2012, at 12:48 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
                >
                > > Is music often written for a specific instrument? Or is it just a
                > > matter of finding music for family of instruments that are similar?
                > > Ie: large stringed instrument vs. small string instrument vs. woodwind
                > > etc?
                > >
                > > I might suspect that little enough period musical scores exist at all,
                > > such that limiting yourself to music scores for just a Vihuela might
                > > be artificially limiting>
                > >
                > > But I am not a musician.
                > >
                > > Stefan
                >
                > Music written for a trumpet can be played by a flute, if it's within the ranges possible on both instruments. Music written for a solo flute can be played on the piano, if you don't mind just having a melody line. Music written for an instrument that can play multiple notes at the same time -- piano, violin, harpsichord -- can NOT be played on a flute, because a flute can only play one note at once.
                >
                > Music written for an instrument tuned to the key of C (flute, piano, violin) can be played by any other instrument, provided that instrument has the same range (or a one-octave difference, say). It can also be written by an instrument tuned to the key of B-flat (clarinet, trumpet), or the key of F (French horn). However, if another instrument is going to play accompaniment or a duet with it, that instrument will have to either be tuned the same, so that the notes sound the same together, or the music will have to be transcribed for one or both of them, or they'll sound horribly out of tune together.
                >
                > There are pieces written for a guitar that could be played on any stringed instrument, it's true. But there are some chords that need more than, say, four strings to play (because there are more than four notes in the chord.
                >
                > So, yes, it matters -- a bit, at least -- whether the piece was written for a "guitar or similar" instrument.
                > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                > D'vorah bint al-Attar
                > Middle Kingdom, Midlands, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)
                > dvorah@...
                > http://www.consensualreality.net/sca AND
                > Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
                > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

              • D'vorah bint al-Attar
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 17, 2012
                  On 17 Jan 2012, at 10:23 AM, i_love_latin wrote:

                  > Another thing that can work, especially if you're just fiddling around and playing chants rather than instrumental music, is this: you can take advantage of instruments in different keys to create instant parallel organum. Just take an instrument tuned to C and add one tuned in F or G (4ths or 5ths), and have both play the line as written.
                  >
                  > Hope that helps!
                  > Alana Goodewyn

                  *shocked gasp* But that's against the rules for figuring a bass line!

                  (The music geeks are nodding. Everybody else is seriously rethinking that decision to give up sniffing scribal inks this week.)
                  D'vorah bint al-Attar
                  dvorah@...
                  Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
                • Ian Green
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 17, 2012
                    Just thought I would throw out this link:

                    http://www.ancientfm.com/

                    Listen to medieval and ren music online.

                    Ian

                    --
                    Yours In Service,

                    Lord Ian the Green