Coronets and Laurels

  • Shannon Moersch
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2004
      Greetings,

      Looking at the pictures from our last event, a thought occurred to me ...

      Say, for example, a person was a Laurel and a Court Baron/Baroness. Could the individual still, at his/her preference, wear the Coronet of Court Baron/Baroness, even though Laurel ranks higher precendence?

      YiS,
      Shannon inghaen Bhriain ui Dhuilleain
      Chroniclier, Canton of Bard's Keep
      Apprentice Chirurgeon, Barony of Western Seas
      Azure, a dog's head couped to sinister between three mullets and on a chief argent three shamrocks vert.

    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2004
        On Sunday 07 November 2004 22:12, Shannon Moersch wrote:
        > Say, for example, a person was a Laurel and a Court Baron/Baroness. Could
        > the individual still, at his/her preference, wear the Coronet of Court
        > Baron/Baroness, even though Laurel ranks higher precendence?

        Of course. One could also choose to wear the coronet on the head and a laurel
        medallion around the neck, or some other laurel insignia.

        Though one most commonly uses only the highest title in introductions, you
        don't forfeit the lower titles. For example, my highest title is "Maistor"
        (Greek version of something like "Professor", but in SCA terms, "Master"), but
        I had a Grant of Arms before becoming a Pelican, so I could choose to call
        myself The Honorable Lord Justin if I preferred. And the courtesy titles
        "lord" and "lady", or "milord" and "milady", are correct for anyone whose
        official title you don't know.

        You'll occasionally hear someone who's both baron/ess and peer referred to
        as "Baron Sir" or "Baroness Mistress" or something like that. Technically
        this is okay, because they're entitled to both, but many folks find this
        to be cumbersome and they'll pick one or the other that they prefer.

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Shannon Moersch

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 8, 2004
            On Monday 08 November 2004 08:33, Shannon Moersch wrote:
            > *shudders at the thought of someone insisting on being called Duchess
            > Baroness Mistress Her Ladyship XYZ" and goes back to lurking*

            Most often when I've heard this sort of thing, it hasn't been the person
            holding the awards who used it, but rather someone else speaking of them
            in the third person, who didn't know which title they preferred.

            keys fesswise reversed sable.

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 9, 2004
              In a message dated 11/7/2004 10:12:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              saddare_stormsister@... writes:

              <<Say, for example, a person was a Laurel and a Court Baron/Baroness. Could
              the individual still, at his/her preference, wear the Coronet of Court
              Baron/Baroness, even though Laurel ranks higher precendence?>>

              Yep. It's very period to use the appropriate rank for whatever you are
              doing. If you are doing something related to your Laurel or the fact that you're a
              peer, wear your peerage regalia. If doing something generally court related
              or related to your baroncy, wear the regalia of the baron.

              Of course, I also know people who have multi-purpose circlets - one woman I
              know has one that combines the insignia of the Laurel, court baroness and
              Duchess all in one.

              Lancaster, PA