Re: [SCA Newcomers] I want a Laurel of my very own!

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2004
      In a message dated 11/5/2004 9:54:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      theseamus@... writes:

      <<Now to state when someone says that they have a Laurel, that usually
      means that they are a apprentice to the laurel and they wear a green
      belt to signify this.

      Most other peerages do the same thing:
      Knights take Squires: Red Belt
      Pelicans take protegee's: Yellow belt
      Master of arms take Students: Red Baldric
      Laurels take Apprentices: Green belt>>

      It is important to realize, however, that the belt colors are not set in
      stone, nor are any of them reserved by the overall College of Arms of the SCA
      except for the knight's white belt.

      I know a Pelican who gives a black belt with a either gold or white stripe in
      the center; another who gives a yellow armband bordered with black; a knight
      who gives blue belts; and a Laurel who gives a silver Tudor rose with a garnet
      in the center on a red, black, and white strip of tabletweaving.

      In some kingdoms the belt colors are highly used and treated as custom; some
      kingdoms may even have them in Kingdom law. But they are not universal
      throughout the SCA, and in most cases the peer can give whatever token they like.

      Lancaster, PA