New book about the SCA - The Knights Next Door

  • patrickscribe
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2004
      Greetings.

      Please forgive me if any of you consider this an intrusion or SPAM.

      A new non-fiction book about the SCA, called The Knights Next Door:
      Everyday People Living Middle Ages Dreams is now out in both
      hardcover and paperback. Details are available at
      www.knightsnextdoor.com.

      The Knights Next Door is an overview of the modern medieval
      subculture for skeptical outsiders, for excited newcomers and for
      veterans of the SCA, who can learn about the people and activities
      within the Society they have heard about but never encountered. The
      Knights Next Door also might make a good gift for friends and
      relatives who wonder just what you do every weekend.

      It is my hope that this book will fill in a lot of the blanks for
      newcomers to the Current Middle Ages. In addition to following some
      veterans of the group, it follows my attempt as a total mundane
      newcomer to make sense of this world, it's history and the history of
      the Middle Ages. While it can not replace the Known World Handbook,
      it is my hope this book will be more helpful to newbies in many ways.

      The book contains descriptions of Pennsic, Gulf Wars, a Twelfth
      Night, an Atlantian university, a hafla, and Midrealm events Baron
      Wars, Northern Oaken War Maneuvers, a Crown Tournament and a
      coronation. It also includes my feeble attempts to make armor and
      garb and learn to fight, while following a local fighter in his bid
      for knighthood and the crown.

      Notable figures from across the SCA interviewed for this book include:

      Diana Listmaker, host of the first ever SCA event
      Frederick of Holland, one of the first event attendees
      Henrik of Havn, another of the first event attendees
      Jade of Starfall, winner of the most Crown Tournaments in Society
      history
      Duchess Elina of Beckenham, author of The Armored Rose
      Duke Baldar Langstrider, first King of Trimaris and inventor of
      Baldar Blunt arrowheads
      Cariadoc of the Bow, Middle Kingdom pioneer who started the Pennsic
      War
      Their Graces Andreas Eisfalke and Isabella of York of the East Kingdom
      The Clan Tynker, the performing family from The Outlands
      Sir Kief av Kierstead, a Lion of Ansteorra
      Baron Durr al-jabal
      Master Pavel Iosevich, founder of the Calontir Shield Wall
      Master Andrixos Seljukroctronis, owner of Calontir Trim
      Dame Alys Katherine, longtime head of the Pennsic University
      And dozens of Kings, Queens, Knights, Pelicans and Laurels from
      across the SCA's Known World, along with many, many others.

      Thank you,

      Patrick O'Donnell/Mael Patraic mac Domnaill
      Author of The Knights Next Door