Re: [SCA Newcomers] I want a Laurel of my very own!

  • -=The Seamus
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 4, 2004
      Well I'll see if I can tackle this.... as I have been lurking for
      awhile and am here to see what aid I can lend:

      The Laurel is one of the highest awards in the SCA, It is also one of
      the five peerages.

      Now to state when someone says that they have a Laurel, that usually
      means that they are a apprentice to the laurel and they wear a green
      belt to signify this.

      Most other peerages do the same thing:
      Knights take Squires: Red Belt
      Pelicans take protegee's: Yellow belt
      Master of arms take Students: Red Baldric
      Laurels take Apprentices: Green belt

      Now on how to become a Squire, Apprentice, student, etc....:

      This is either a ask or be asked type of thing....

      In the past I have seen it done both ways:

      Either a peer will see potential in a person and ask them or The
      person feels that they are ready to learn to become a peer and asks a
      peer....

      Biggest piece of advice: Talk to a peer or three! they will tell you
      just what they think of what they think on this subject.

      Well I think I have spouted off enough.... Let me know If I can
      answer anything further...

      Lord Seamus O Dubhda, P.E.
      Kingdom Of Ansteorra
      Barony Of Elfsea

      On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 12:33:25 -0500, amanda sears <kissesmomof4@...> wrote:
      > I thought a laurel was an award?

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      >

      > Get unlimited calls to
      >
      > U.S./Canada

      Lord Seamus O Dubhda
      Kingdom Of Ansteorra
      Barony Of Elfsea
      "No matter where you go there you are." -B. Banzai
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 4, 2004
        On Thursday 04 November 2004 14:06, Tirloch O'Riordain wrote:
        > PS, personally I have always liked to think that people are not
        > 'awarded' with a laurel, but that they are recognized with a laurel.

        I tend to agree with this.

        When I was on vigil for the Pelican, one of the best pieces of advice I
        was given was, "This isn't an award for work you have done. You've shown
        that you are ready to take on a really hard job, and this is the offer
        letter from the kingdom that wants to hire you."

        I believe that peerage is, and should be, much more about obligation and
        work than about privilege or rank.

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • chemistbb3
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
          Howdy Seamus, how's it going!

          5 peerages? OK, Chivalry, Laurels, and Pelicans - Chivalry could be
          classed as having 2 with Knights/Dames and Masters of Arms (Masters
          are not in all kingdoms if I remember). What is the 5th?

          William
          (learn something new every day!)

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, -=The Seamus <theseamus@g...>
          wrote:
          > The Laurel is one of the highest awards in the SCA, It is also one
          of
          > the five peerages.
        • -=The Seamus
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
            the fith peerage that is given in some kingdoms (not all) is a royal
            peerage that goes with being king or consort. I know for one Caid
            does this and I think Drachenvald does as well....

            So there is your 5th peerage

            There is also a 6th on the books which is a blank peerage but I have
            never heard of this given.

            -=The Seamus
            Just a lurking herald

            On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 14:54:44 -0000, chemistbb3 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            > Howdy Seamus, how's it going!
            >
            > 5 peerages? OK, Chivalry, Laurels, and Pelicans - Chivalry could be
            > classed as having 2 with Knights/Dames and Masters of Arms (Masters
            > are not in all kingdoms if I remember). What is the 5th?
            >
            > William
            > (learn something new every day!)
            >
            > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, -=The Seamus <theseamus@g...>
            > wrote:
            > > The Laurel is one of the highest awards in the SCA, It is also one
            > of
            > > the five peerages.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Lord Seamus O Dubhda
            Kingdom Of Ansteorra
            Barony Of Elfsea
            "No matter where you go there you are." -B. Banzai
          • Shannon Moersch
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
              >the fith peerage that is given in some kingdoms (not all) is a >royal peerage that goes with being king or consort. I know for >one Caid does this and I think Drachenvald does as well....

              Every time I think I'm not a newcomer anymore, something like this comes along to remind me how little I actually know about the SCA! haha And in CAID, even! That's where I live! *hangs her head in shame and goes back to lurking*

              YiS,
              Shannon inghaen bhriain ui Dhuilleain
              Chroniclier, Canton of Bards Keep
              Apprentice Chirurgeon, Barony of the Western Seas
              Azure, a dog's head couped to sinister between three mullets and on a chief argent three shamrocks vert.

            • chemistbb3
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
                BTW:

                I know it's a long haul, but are y'all going to make it down for
                Tourney by the Loch. You can have a part in the award foo if you
                want it if you do...

                William

                wrote:

                > the fith peerage that is given in some kingdoms (not all) is a royal
                > peerage that goes with being king or consort. I know for one Caid
                > does this and I think Drachenvald does as well....
                >
                > So there is your 5th peerage
                >
                > There is also a 6th on the books which is a blank peerage but I have
                > never heard of this given.
                >
                > -=The Seamus
                > Just a lurking herald
                >

                > On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 14:54:44 -0000, chemistbb3
                <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                > > Howdy Seamus, how's it going!
                > >
                > > 5 peerages? OK, Chivalry, Laurels, and Pelicans - Chivalry could
                be
                > > classed as having 2 with Knights/Dames and Masters of Arms
                (Masters
                > > are not in all kingdoms if I remember). What is the 5th?
                > >
                > > William
                > > (learn something new every day!)
                > >
                > > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, -=The Seamus
                <theseamus@g...>
                > > wrote:
                > > > The Laurel is one of the highest awards in the SCA, It is also
                one
                > > of
                > > > the five peerages.
                > >

                > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Service.

                > --
                > Lord Seamus O Dubhda
                > Kingdom Of Ansteorra
                > Barony Of Elfsea
                > "No matter where you go there you are." -B. Banzai
              • amanda sears
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
                  <Shannon inghaen bhriain ui Dhuilleain>

                  That is quite the name Shannon! As a question in my reading I was wondering how INGHAEN was pronounced? I know what it means but not how to say it

                  ~Meadhbh~

                • Tirloch O'Riordain
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
                    Greetings,

                    The SCA, inc. only has three recognized peerages. These are the
                    Chivalry, Laurel, and Pelican. What distinguishes them as peerages is
                    that each comes with a patent of arms, and all three are recognized
                    society wide.

                    Beyond those three, also anyone who has served as a King or Queen of a
                    Kingdom, or a Prince or Princess of a Principality are considered to be
                    Royal Peers. As to whether or not these include a patent of arms is left
                    up to the individual kingdoms. Most people differentiate Peers and Royal
                    Peers differently, and people do not think of Royal Peers when they are
                    discussing "peerages". Now with Royal Peerages there are "levels" that
                    rank higher in the OP, such as a Duke outranks a Count who outranks a
                    Viscount. But they are still all "Royal Peers".

                    Lastly, there is the Order of the Rose, which can be given to anyone who
                    served as Queen. This may be non-armigerous or may carry a patent of
                    arms as each Kingdom wishes.

                    So, technically there are only three Peerages, and then Royal Peers.
                    Other Kingdoms may have awards which in that Kingdom are treated like
                    peerages, but they would not be society wide and would therefore not be
                    peerages.

                    Tirloch
                  • Shannon Moersch
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
                      =) It was pronounced 'EEN-yen' through the 15th century, then evolved into "NEE-yen." As my persona is from the 1200s, "EEN-yen" is the way I say it =) Fully translated, my name means "Shannon, daughter of Brian of clan Dillon" (my maiden name being Shannon Dillon, and my father's name being Brian, in real life). And how do you pronounce Meadhbh? =)I keep coming up with something like "MEED-uh-buh", which I'm pretty sure is very, very wrong! hehe

                      YiS,
                      Shannon inghaen Bhriain ui Dhuilleain
                      Chroniclier, Canton of Bard's Keep
                      Apprentice Chirurgeon, Barony of the Western Seas
                      Azure, a dog's head couped to sinister between three mullets and on a chief argent three shamrocks vert.

                      amanda sears <kissesmomof4@...> wrote:
                      <Shannon inghaen bhriain ui Dhuilleain>

                      That is quite the name Shannon! As a question in my reading I was wondering how INGHAEN was pronounced? I know what it means but not how to say it

                      ~Meadhbh~

                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
                        Meadhbh is pronounced either Mave or mehv, I use mehv.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 6, 2004
                          In a message dated 11/5/2004 9:54:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                          theseamus@... writes:

                          <<Now to state when someone says that they have a Laurel, that usually
                          means that they are a apprentice to the laurel and they wear a green
                          belt to signify this.

                          Most other peerages do the same thing:
                          Knights take Squires: Red Belt
                          Pelicans take protegee's: Yellow belt
                          Master of arms take Students: Red Baldric
                          Laurels take Apprentices: Green belt>>

                          It is important to realize, however, that the belt colors are not set in
                          stone, nor are any of them reserved by the overall College of Arms of the SCA
                          except for the knight's white belt.

                          I know a Pelican who gives a black belt with a either gold or white stripe in
                          the center; another who gives a yellow armband bordered with black; a knight
                          who gives blue belts; and a Laurel who gives a silver Tudor rose with a garnet
                          in the center on a red, black, and white strip of tabletweaving.

                          In some kingdoms the belt colors are highly used and treated as custom; some
                          kingdoms may even have them in Kingdom law. But they are not universal
                          throughout the SCA, and in most cases the peer can give whatever token they like.

                          Lancaster, PA