SCA spelling and pronunciations

  • Emy
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2004
      Greetings:

      Through the years of spell check my modern world spelling has well it's not good. Now I find myself in a new world, where at times it looks like a bunch of letters all jumbled together and I can't even figure out how to say it let alone spell it again. This has created several questions for me.

      Names seem to be the first obvious thing to me. Maybe because I like to prounounce people's names correctly and that's a personal quark of mine.

      For instance the name Mave (is how it sounds), I can't spell it for the life of me. (Sorry! I'm trying!) I'm not quite sure what her personna's country of origin is. Does that even matter?

      I took French in High School and for 2 years in College (the first time). There are times when words are writen that I look and think, that looks like a French word, but then learn it's Italien. Which makes sence because they both come from Latin.

      I know y'all will have some great websites to look at. But when you are looking up other terminology for say costuming or customes and what they may have called it then you run into the same problem cause you call it toe-may-toe and someone calles it toe-ma-tea-o. (Both are tomato's but different varieties) Phonetics doesn't seem to work. Any tips on how to understand and speak SCAdian better?

      Thanks!

      Emy of Starkhafn

    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2004
        On Thursday 04 November 2004 13:40, Emy wrote:
        > Any tips on how to understand and speak SCAdian better?

        Experience.

        Unfortunately, the wide variety of cultures and languages we study makes any
        single set of grammar and spelling rules totally impossible to achieve.

        The bad news is that after ten years in the SCA, there will still be words
        that are hard to pronounce and even harder to spell.

        The good news is that you'll still be having fun, regardless of whether you
        get every word right every time.

        Don't worry too much about spelling complicated names right away. You will
        pick this up over time, almost without realizing you're doing so.

        keys fesswise reversed sable.