Re: [SCA Newcomers] I want a Laurel of my very own!

  • amanda sears
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 4, 2004
      I thought a laurel was an award?

    • -=The Seamus
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 4, 2004
        Well I'll see if I can tackle this.... as I have been lurking for
        awhile and am here to see what aid I can lend:

        The Laurel is one of the highest awards in the SCA, It is also one of
        the five peerages.

        Now to state when someone says that they have a Laurel, that usually
        means that they are a apprentice to the laurel and they wear a green
        belt to signify this.

        Most other peerages do the same thing:
        Knights take Squires: Red Belt
        Pelicans take protegee's: Yellow belt
        Master of arms take Students: Red Baldric
        Laurels take Apprentices: Green belt

        Now on how to become a Squire, Apprentice, student, etc....:

        This is either a ask or be asked type of thing....

        In the past I have seen it done both ways:

        Either a peer will see potential in a person and ask them or The
        person feels that they are ready to learn to become a peer and asks a
        peer....

        Biggest piece of advice: Talk to a peer or three! they will tell you
        just what they think of what they think on this subject.

        Well I think I have spouted off enough.... Let me know If I can
        answer anything further...

        Lord Seamus O Dubhda, P.E.
        Kingdom Of Ansteorra
        Barony Of Elfsea

        On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 12:33:25 -0500, amanda sears <kissesmomof4@...> wrote:
        > I thought a laurel was an award?

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        >

        > Get unlimited calls to
        >
        > U.S./Canada

        Lord Seamus O Dubhda
        Kingdom Of Ansteorra
        Barony Of Elfsea
        "No matter where you go there you are." -B. Banzai
      • Tirloch O'Riordain
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 4, 2004
          amanda sears wrote:

          > I thought a laurel was an award?

          Greetings,

          When someone says "my laurel", they can also mean that they are
          apprenticed to a laurel, making that person their laurel. (or knight or
          pelican).

          Tirloch

          PS, personally I have always liked to think that people are not
          'awarded' with a laurel, but that they are recognized with a laurel. I
          know that it is a slight difference, but I think that mentally it
          changes how people view the whole court part of the SCA.

          Tirloch
        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 4, 2004
            On Thursday 04 November 2004 14:06, Tirloch O'Riordain wrote:
            > PS, personally I have always liked to think that people are not
            > 'awarded' with a laurel, but that they are recognized with a laurel.

            I tend to agree with this.

            When I was on vigil for the Pelican, one of the best pieces of advice I
            was given was, "This isn't an award for work you have done. You've shown
            that you are ready to take on a really hard job, and this is the offer
            letter from the kingdom that wants to hire you."

            I believe that peerage is, and should be, much more about obligation and
            work than about privilege or rank.

            keys fesswise reversed sable.

          • chemistbb3
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
              Howdy Seamus, how's it going!

              5 peerages? OK, Chivalry, Laurels, and Pelicans - Chivalry could be
              classed as having 2 with Knights/Dames and Masters of Arms (Masters
              are not in all kingdoms if I remember). What is the 5th?

              William
              (learn something new every day!)

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, -=The Seamus <theseamus@g...>
              wrote:
              > The Laurel is one of the highest awards in the SCA, It is also one
              of
              > the five peerages.
            • -=The Seamus
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
                the fith peerage that is given in some kingdoms (not all) is a royal
                peerage that goes with being king or consort. I know for one Caid
                does this and I think Drachenvald does as well....

                So there is your 5th peerage

                There is also a 6th on the books which is a blank peerage but I have
                never heard of this given.

                -=The Seamus
                Just a lurking herald

                On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 14:54:44 -0000, chemistbb3 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                > Howdy Seamus, how's it going!
                >
                > 5 peerages? OK, Chivalry, Laurels, and Pelicans - Chivalry could be
                > classed as having 2 with Knights/Dames and Masters of Arms (Masters
                > are not in all kingdoms if I remember). What is the 5th?
                >
                > William
                > (learn something new every day!)
                >
                > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, -=The Seamus <theseamus@g...>
                > wrote:
                > > The Laurel is one of the highest awards in the SCA, It is also one
                > of
                > > the five peerages.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Lord Seamus O Dubhda
                Kingdom Of Ansteorra
                Barony Of Elfsea
                "No matter where you go there you are." -B. Banzai
              • Shannon Moersch
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
                  >the fith peerage that is given in some kingdoms (not all) is a >royal peerage that goes with being king or consort. I know for >one Caid does this and I think Drachenvald does as well....

                  Every time I think I'm not a newcomer anymore, something like this comes along to remind me how little I actually know about the SCA! haha And in CAID, even! That's where I live! *hangs her head in shame and goes back to lurking*

                  YiS,
                  Shannon inghaen bhriain ui Dhuilleain
                  Chroniclier, Canton of Bards Keep
                  Apprentice Chirurgeon, Barony of the Western Seas
                  Azure, a dog's head couped to sinister between three mullets and on a chief argent three shamrocks vert.

                • chemistbb3
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
                    BTW:

                    I know it's a long haul, but are y'all going to make it down for
                    Tourney by the Loch. You can have a part in the award foo if you
                    want it if you do...

                    William

                    wrote:

                    > the fith peerage that is given in some kingdoms (not all) is a royal
                    > peerage that goes with being king or consort. I know for one Caid
                    > does this and I think Drachenvald does as well....
                    >
                    > So there is your 5th peerage
                    >
                    > There is also a 6th on the books which is a blank peerage but I have
                    > never heard of this given.
                    >
                    > -=The Seamus
                    > Just a lurking herald
                    >

                    > On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 14:54:44 -0000, chemistbb3
                    <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    > > Howdy Seamus, how's it going!
                    > >
                    > > 5 peerages? OK, Chivalry, Laurels, and Pelicans - Chivalry could
                    be
                    > > classed as having 2 with Knights/Dames and Masters of Arms
                    (Masters
                    > > are not in all kingdoms if I remember). What is the 5th?
                    > >
                    > > William
                    > > (learn something new every day!)
                    > >
                    > > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, -=The Seamus
                    <theseamus@g...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > > The Laurel is one of the highest awards in the SCA, It is also
                    one
                    > > of
                    > > > the five peerages.
                    > >

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Service.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
                      <Shannon inghaen bhriain ui Dhuilleain>

                      That is quite the name Shannon! As a question in my reading I was wondering how INGHAEN was pronounced? I know what it means but not how to say it

                      ~Meadhbh~

                    • Tirloch O'Riordain
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
                        Greetings,

                        The SCA, inc. only has three recognized peerages. These are the
                        Chivalry, Laurel, and Pelican. What distinguishes them as peerages is
                        that each comes with a patent of arms, and all three are recognized
                        society wide.

                        Beyond those three, also anyone who has served as a King or Queen of a
                        Kingdom, or a Prince or Princess of a Principality are considered to be
                        Royal Peers. As to whether or not these include a patent of arms is left
                        up to the individual kingdoms. Most people differentiate Peers and Royal
                        Peers differently, and people do not think of Royal Peers when they are
                        discussing "peerages". Now with Royal Peerages there are "levels" that
                        rank higher in the OP, such as a Duke outranks a Count who outranks a
                        Viscount. But they are still all "Royal Peers".

                        Lastly, there is the Order of the Rose, which can be given to anyone who
                        served as Queen. This may be non-armigerous or may carry a patent of
                        arms as each Kingdom wishes.

                        So, technically there are only three Peerages, and then Royal Peers.
                        Other Kingdoms may have awards which in that Kingdom are treated like
                        peerages, but they would not be society wide and would therefore not be
                        peerages.

                        Tirloch
                      • Shannon Moersch
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
                          =) It was pronounced 'EEN-yen' through the 15th century, then evolved into "NEE-yen." As my persona is from the 1200s, "EEN-yen" is the way I say it =) Fully translated, my name means "Shannon, daughter of Brian of clan Dillon" (my maiden name being Shannon Dillon, and my father's name being Brian, in real life). And how do you pronounce Meadhbh? =)I keep coming up with something like "MEED-uh-buh", which I'm pretty sure is very, very wrong! hehe

                          YiS,
                          Shannon inghaen Bhriain ui Dhuilleain
                          Chroniclier, Canton of Bard's Keep
                          Apprentice Chirurgeon, Barony of the Western Seas
                          Azure, a dog's head couped to sinister between three mullets and on a chief argent three shamrocks vert.

                          amanda sears <kissesmomof4@...> wrote:
                          <Shannon inghaen bhriain ui Dhuilleain>

                          That is quite the name Shannon! As a question in my reading I was wondering how INGHAEN was pronounced? I know what it means but not how to say it

                          ~Meadhbh~

                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
                            Meadhbh is pronounced either Mave or mehv, I use mehv.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 6, 2004
                              In a message dated 11/5/2004 9:54:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                              theseamus@... writes:

                              <<Now to state when someone says that they have a Laurel, that usually
                              means that they are a apprentice to the laurel and they wear a green
                              belt to signify this.

                              Most other peerages do the same thing:
                              Knights take Squires: Red Belt
                              Pelicans take protegee's: Yellow belt
                              Master of arms take Students: Red Baldric
                              Laurels take Apprentices: Green belt>>

                              It is important to realize, however, that the belt colors are not set in
                              stone, nor are any of them reserved by the overall College of Arms of the SCA
                              except for the knight's white belt.

                              I know a Pelican who gives a black belt with a either gold or white stripe in
                              the center; another who gives a yellow armband bordered with black; a knight
                              who gives blue belts; and a Laurel who gives a silver Tudor rose with a garnet
                              in the center on a red, black, and white strip of tabletweaving.

                              In some kingdoms the belt colors are highly used and treated as custom; some
                              kingdoms may even have them in Kingdom law. But they are not universal
                              throughout the SCA, and in most cases the peer can give whatever token they like.

                              Lancaster, PA