I want a Laurel of my very own!

  • Kathleen Kinard
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2004
      I have a question- and it's probably not a very good
      one; I have friends in the SCA who refer to specific
      Laurels as "thier" Laurel- I'm assuming this is a sort
      of apprenticeship (in vary-ing degrees, no doubt) but
      I've never been able to figure out how they GOT thier
      Laurel! I do participate in A&S competitions, however
      I have the ill-fated curse of being rather shy when I
      first meet someone face to face... Is there another
      good way anyone can suggest to gain the attention of a
      Laurel? (for that matter, there ought to be an "Ask a
      Laurel" yahoo group or something similar- that woudl
      be such a big help!)

      Stepping Back into Lurk Mode

      In Service

      Veronica Venier

      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      www.yahoo.com
    • Tirloch O'Riordain
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2004
        Greetings,

        When someone uses the phrase "my laurel" (or knight or pelican), what
        they are saying is that they are apprenticed (or squired or protoge'ed)
        to that peer. It means that they are a member of that peer's household
        or inner circle. Also, some squires will take "men at arms", which also
        makes them a part of that squire's knight's household.

        As far as how you go about becoming an apprentice, that varies for each
        peer. Some will ask people to join their household, others will wait to
        be approached by someone. Most will be very gracious if you approach
        them and talk about the prospect. A very few will think that you should
        wait to be asked. If you are worried about how a certain peer may
        respond, take the intermediate step of asking them how they feel about
        people approaching them and asking to apprentice. Most will share their
        ideology on the subject.

        Also, how peers take apprentices and what they expect also greatly
        varies. Some consider it a teacher student relationship. Others consider
        it a matter of fealty and service. Some consider it a gracious
        condescension. Figure out what you would be comfortable with and find a
        peer who shares that belief system.

        I hope this helps.

        Tirloch