Re: [SCA Newcomers] Viking Trading Post

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 25, 2004
      On Saturday 23 October 2004 11:03, travler5 wrote:
      > My Viking is in the 1020 - 1060 era.
      > He is a Varangian Guard in the service
      > of  Byzantine empire.

      Oh, excellent! You are almost contemporary with my lady and myself. We are
      Byzantines of the merchant class, living in the period from late 900s to
      early 1000s. (Today it is Anno Domini 1004 for us, if one recons by the
      Gregorian calendar that will be invented in a couple centuries or so.)

      Check the list archives for the word "Byzantine". I don't have the URLs
      handy right now, but a couple of months ago I posted some web links to
      the list. There is also a fictional book called Byzantium; while not
      formally a research source, it's a very entertaining read to get the "feel"
      of Constantinople from the perspective of a Viking who travels there.

      > I am in the Kindom of NorthShield - (North Dakota)

      Congratulations on being part of a wonderful new kingdom!

      keys fesswise reversed sable.