Re: [SCA Newcomers] garb fabric-colors

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 8, 2004
      In a message dated 10/7/2004 9:48:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      avelina.dragon@... writes:

      <<Linen, Silk and Wool are the best for period garb. But, since both are
      rather expensive, you can go with the cheaper cotton, and wool blends.>>

      You can, certainly, and no one will think the less of you. The use of such
      fabrics is very common in the SCA. However, if you can't find good linen and
      wool prices (check outlet stores or wholesale stores if you have any near you)
      in stores, there are a number of online dealers who sell at good prices. My
      favorite is www.fabrics-store.com, which usually has a variety of linen and
      wool weights and colors for very good prices (often as little as $4-6/yard for
      linen), and they will send you free swatches if you're not sure about the color
      or weight.
      If you go with a wool blend, try to get something that's at least 85% wool,
      as that will have most of the water-repellant qualities I mentioned earlier.

      << I'd only worry about the more expensive fabrics if you plan on
      entering an A&S competition. >>

      Although this is common advice, I think it does a disservice to newcomers.
      It implies that the only reason to use authentic fabric types is to win
      competitions. In truth, the reason to use the more expensive fibers is that they
      simply work better for what we are trying to do - they keep you more comfortable
      in all sorts of weathers and situations. We're so used to climate control
      that we don't realize how much the fiber content of our clothes has to to with
      comfort when outdoors. I've learned, over the years, that medieval people knew
      a great deal more than we do about how to dress for weather, because they
      needed to - they didn't have the option of retiring to centrally heated or cooled
      buildings, or staying out of the rain by working indoors all day.

      Lancaster, PA

      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 8, 2004
        In a message dated 10/8/2004 8:00:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        kissesmomof4@... writes:

        <<Where are you people finding your wool?>>

        Sometimes at JoAnns, sometimes at a fabric outlet nearby, sometimes online.
        It takes a lot of looking sometimes.

        Lancaster, PA

      • Catherine
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 9, 2004
          thanks everyone for the information. I ended up not getting any
          fabric today because neither my mom, my aunt or I have any idea
          about what shades of colors go together. So I'll be going some later
          weekend with my moms cousin who is better at that than we are. I
          have figured out what fabrics I'd like to go with though (linen for
          the chemise, and a lite wool or cotton for the skirts, and more than
          likely an upholstry fabric for the bodice) I think/hope that will
          work to start with. Again, thanks for the help.

          Catherine
        • tonia ewell-thomas
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 12, 2004
            M'Lady,
            Congratulations on your elevation to Laural.
            Zakiyya

            kissesmomof4@... writes:

            <<Where are you people finding your wool?>>

            Sometimes at JoAnns, sometimes at a fabric outlet nearby, sometimes online.
            It takes a lot of looking sometimes.

            Lancaster, PA

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT