Re: [SCA Newcomers] garb fabric-colors

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 8, 2004
      In a message dated 10/7/2004 9:41:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      dragonlady2188@... writes:

      <<I'm going fabric hunting on saturday and was wondering if anyone had
      any tips about types of fabric work well for garb & what colors are
      period >>

      I know there have been a lot of answers to this which I haven't read yet, but
      I'm going to go ahead and risk repeating someone else's advice anyway :-)

      First rule: Natural fibers are your friends. Avoid synthetics whenever
      possible, for several reasons:
      1. Comfort. Synthetic fibers generally do not breathe, so you will be very
      hot and sweaty in them in hot weather and probably sweaty and therefore cold in
      cold weather. Natural fabrics breathe, so linen keeps you very cool,
      lightweight wools can be cool enough to wear in summer, and heavier wools like coat
      wool wil not only keep you warm, they are naturally water resistant and will
      keep you nice and dry if it's a drizzly, rainy event. Coincidentally, linen,
      wool, and silk were the most commonly available fibers in period, with cotton in
      some times and places. Linen (specifically white linen) was generally used
      for underclothes and wool or silk for outergarments, but linen outer garments
      are frequently used in the hotter climates of the SCA.
      2. Safety. There are a lot of open flame experiences in the SCA - candles,
      campfires, torches. Synthetics melt and stick to your skin when they come in
      contact with flame. Natural fibers either don't catch fire as fast or are a
      heck of lot easier to put out, or both, and they won't stick to you.
      3. Ease of care. Yes, really. Don't let anyone tell you that linen must be
      dry-cleaned; throw it in the washer and dryer and you will get some of the
      softest, most comfortable fabric around. You don't generally need to iron it,
      either; with the weight of fabric used in garb, the wrinkles usually hang out
      while the clothes are being worn. Wool doesn't need to be drycleaned either; if
      it's an outer garment that doesn't touch your skin, just hang it out to air
      once in a while and brush any dirt off with a stiff brush. Or, wash it as hot
      as you can before you make your clothes, so it shrinks as much as possible,
      then make the clothes and wash them in cold water and line dry when they need
      it. I pretty much only wash my wool if I spill food on it or something.

      As far as colors go, in generally stay away from prints and neon or
      flourescent type colors. There are exceptions to these rules, but it's hard to know
      what to look for right away. Stripes do appear, often very wide (like 3-4
      inches) stripes worn horizontally, and I haven't been lucky enough to find the
      right fabric yet :-)

      Lancaster, PA

      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 8, 2004
        In a message dated 10/7/2004 9:48:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        avelina.dragon@... writes:

        <<Linen, Silk and Wool are the best for period garb. But, since both are
        rather expensive, you can go with the cheaper cotton, and wool blends.>>

        You can, certainly, and no one will think the less of you. The use of such
        fabrics is very common in the SCA. However, if you can't find good linen and
        wool prices (check outlet stores or wholesale stores if you have any near you)
        in stores, there are a number of online dealers who sell at good prices. My
        favorite is www.fabrics-store.com, which usually has a variety of linen and
        wool weights and colors for very good prices (often as little as $4-6/yard for
        linen), and they will send you free swatches if you're not sure about the color
        or weight.
        If you go with a wool blend, try to get something that's at least 85% wool,
        as that will have most of the water-repellant qualities I mentioned earlier.

        << I'd only worry about the more expensive fabrics if you plan on
        entering an A&S competition. >>

        Although this is common advice, I think it does a disservice to newcomers.
        It implies that the only reason to use authentic fabric types is to win
        competitions. In truth, the reason to use the more expensive fibers is that they
        simply work better for what we are trying to do - they keep you more comfortable
        in all sorts of weathers and situations. We're so used to climate control
        that we don't realize how much the fiber content of our clothes has to to with
        comfort when outdoors. I've learned, over the years, that medieval people knew
        a great deal more than we do about how to dress for weather, because they
        needed to - they didn't have the option of retiring to centrally heated or cooled
        buildings, or staying out of the rain by working indoors all day.

        Lancaster, PA

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 8, 2004
          In a message dated 10/8/2004 8:00:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          kissesmomof4@... writes:

          <<Where are you people finding your wool?>>

          Sometimes at JoAnns, sometimes at a fabric outlet nearby, sometimes online.
          It takes a lot of looking sometimes.

          Lancaster, PA

        • Catherine
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 9, 2004
            thanks everyone for the information. I ended up not getting any
            fabric today because neither my mom, my aunt or I have any idea
            about what shades of colors go together. So I'll be going some later
            weekend with my moms cousin who is better at that than we are. I
            have figured out what fabrics I'd like to go with though (linen for
            the chemise, and a lite wool or cotton for the skirts, and more than
            likely an upholstry fabric for the bodice) I think/hope that will
            work to start with. Again, thanks for the help.

            Catherine
          • tonia ewell-thomas
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 12, 2004
              M'Lady,
              Congratulations on your elevation to Laural.
              Zakiyya

              kissesmomof4@... writes:

              <<Where are you people finding your wool?>>

              Sometimes at JoAnns, sometimes at a fabric outlet nearby, sometimes online.
              It takes a lot of looking sometimes.

              Lancaster, PA

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT