Re: [SCA Newcomers] Naming myself

  • Alison Choyce
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
      I did refer the Gentle to a link with a full description of how these references were made. Perhaps if you had read the link from St. Gabriel's.

      Thank you,
      Alison
      Please look at the following
      > website about 1/4 of the way down the page.
      > http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/quickgaelicbynames/

      But to state blindly that O' means only
      "male" descendant of, is not an accurate representation.

      Tiordealbach O' Riordain

      Known as Tirloch

    • Tirloch O'Riordain
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
        Alison Choyce wrote:

        > I did refer the Gentle to a link with a full description of how these
        > references were made. Perhaps if you had read the link from St.
        > Gabriel's.
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Alison

        I am familiar with St. Gabriels and it is a competent resource. I was
        not contradicting the site. I was merely pointing out that the use of
        the O' is not male specific as you stated in the beginning of your post.
        It depends upon the time frame, which should be reflected at the link
        you posted...but not everyone will go to that link. I was pointing out
        that you cannot make a blanket statement such as "O' means male
        descendant" because while that may have been an early period meaning, it
        was not literal post 11th century. I am sorry if you have taken offense
        on my choosing to correct this statement.

        Tirloch
      • Alison Choyce
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
          Additions and corrections will always be welcome if they are done kindly and with respect for intelligence and the ability to learn.

          In service.
          Alison