Re: [SCA Newcomers] Naming myself

  • Tirloch O'Riordain
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
      Alison Choyce wrote:

      > Perhaps you already know, but for those that don't, using the prefix
      > [o'] will mean "male descendent of." Please look at the following
      > website about 1/4 of the way down the page.
      > http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/quickgaelicbynames/

      Pre tenth century...Mac would stand for as son of, Ua would be grandson
      of, and O' would be descendant of. In about the 11th century, the actual
      use of hereditary surnames took hold, in which case O', Mac, and Ua,
      became only to mean descendant of and no longer really carried any
      gender connotations. If you wanted to go pre tenth century you can also
      use the gil and kil prefixes that signify a descendant of a follower of
      a particular saint or order. But to state blindly that O' means only
      "male" descendant of, is not an accurate representation.

      Tiordealbach O' Riordain

      Known as Tirloch
    • Alison Choyce
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
        I did refer the Gentle to a link with a full description of how these references were made. Perhaps if you had read the link from St. Gabriel's.

        Thank you,
        Alison

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
          Alison Choyce wrote:

          > I did refer the Gentle to a link with a full description of how these
          > references were made. Perhaps if you had read the link from St.
          > Gabriel's.
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Alison

          I am familiar with St. Gabriels and it is a competent resource. I was
          not contradicting the site. I was merely pointing out that the use of
          the O' is not male specific as you stated in the beginning of your post.
          It depends upon the time frame, which should be reflected at the link
          you posted...but not everyone will go to that link. I was pointing out
          that you cannot make a blanket statement such as "O' means male
          descendant" because while that may have been an early period meaning, it
          was not literal post 11th century. I am sorry if you have taken offense
          on my choosing to correct this statement.

          Tirloch
        • Alison Choyce
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
            Additions and corrections will always be welcome if they are done kindly and with respect for intelligence and the ability to learn.

            In service.
            Alison