Re: [SCA Newcomers] Naming myself

  • Alison Choyce
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
      Greetings from Alison Wodehalle,

      I did not find any registered "Dubgall." They all seem to have the extra "h," Which may mean that the College of Arms is adding a correction for period style. There is one person with "Dubhlaoich." Perhaps you already know, but for those that don't, using the prefix [o'] will mean "male descendent of." Please look at the following website about 1/4 of the way down the page. http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/quickgaelicbynames/

      I have forwarded to Marcus a list of what is registered.
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
        Alison Choyce wrote:

        > Perhaps you already know, but for those that don't, using the prefix
        > [o'] will mean "male descendent of." Please look at the following
        > website about 1/4 of the way down the page.
        > http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/quickgaelicbynames/

        Pre tenth century...Mac would stand for as son of, Ua would be grandson
        of, and O' would be descendant of. In about the 11th century, the actual
        use of hereditary surnames took hold, in which case O', Mac, and Ua,
        became only to mean descendant of and no longer really carried any
        gender connotations. If you wanted to go pre tenth century you can also
        use the gil and kil prefixes that signify a descendant of a follower of
        a particular saint or order. But to state blindly that O' means only
        "male" descendant of, is not an accurate representation.

        Tiordealbach O' Riordain

        Known as Tirloch
      • Alison Choyce
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
          I did refer the Gentle to a link with a full description of how these references were made. Perhaps if you had read the link from St. Gabriel's.

          Thank you,
          Alison
          Please look at the following
          > website about 1/4 of the way down the page.
          > http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/quickgaelicbynames/

          But to state blindly that O' means only
          "male" descendant of, is not an accurate representation.

          Tiordealbach O' Riordain

          Known as Tirloch

        • Tirloch O'Riordain
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
            Alison Choyce wrote:

            > I did refer the Gentle to a link with a full description of how these
            > references were made. Perhaps if you had read the link from St.
            > Gabriel's.
            >
            > Thank you,
            > Alison

            I am familiar with St. Gabriels and it is a competent resource. I was
            not contradicting the site. I was merely pointing out that the use of
            the O' is not male specific as you stated in the beginning of your post.
            It depends upon the time frame, which should be reflected at the link
            you posted...but not everyone will go to that link. I was pointing out
            that you cannot make a blanket statement such as "O' means male
            descendant" because while that may have been an early period meaning, it
            was not literal post 11th century. I am sorry if you have taken offense
            on my choosing to correct this statement.

            Tirloch
          • Alison Choyce
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
              Additions and corrections will always be welcome if they are done kindly and with respect for intelligence and the ability to learn.

              In service.
              Alison