Re: [SCA Newcomers] Greetings and Salutations

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2004
      In a message dated 9/29/2004 9:50:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      del_g19@... writes:

      <<Well I am looking for some advice for my garb for period. since I
      am a light fighter was thinking along the lines of a corsair
      persona. Boy hope I didn't spell that to bad.>>

      I have no idea what a "corsair" (and you did spell it right) actually is
      other than somethng along the pirate/highwaymen line.

      <<I just need to know if that is acceptiable and what materials are
      acceptial?>>

      SCA rules require an attempt at clothing from before 1600. If there were
      corsairs before 1600, it is definitely acceptable. If they weren't, it probably
      isn't technically acceptable, but most people won't say much unless it's
      blatantly out of period, like say, wearing an American Civil War military uniform.

      As far as what fabrics are acceptable, all the rules say is that you must
      make an attempt at clothes from before 1600 - as long as they look right, you can
      make them out of pretty much anything. My personal choice, and my advice to
      anyone who asks, is to go with natural fibers if at all possible - which means
      wool or linen for pretty much anything in the SCA, with the addition of silk
      and cotton for some time periods and cultures. They are more expensive but
      they wear exceptionally well and will be far more comfortable than synthetics.

      Lancaster, PA