Re: [SCA Newcomers] Something we should all be aware of.... gotta love those rights

  • Megan & Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2004
      http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/draft.asp

      One of the big problems with the draft is that the current military mostly don't want draftees...after all would YOU want to stake your survival on someone who is only there because the government made him?

      Pertinant quotes from snopes:
      **As reflected in the message quoted above, the draft issue has largely come to public attention due to pair of bills introduced in Congress (S.89 and H.R.163) which seek to obligate all citizens and residents of the U.S. beween the ages of 18 and 26 (both male and female) to perform a two-year period of national service (not necessarily as part of the military), and the Selective Service's advertising for volunteers to man draft boards around the country. However, both the Congressional bills were introduced back in January 2003 and have languished in committee ever since with seemingly little support, and the Selective Service maintains that the timing of ads to fill draft board positions was coincidental, part of a process of filling expired board positions that has been underway for several years:

      **And certainly not everyone agrees that general conscription is the best solution to potential staffing shortfalls, for a variety of reasons:

      While many in the military support conscription on the grounds of social equity or national service, nearly all professional soldiers think that bringing back the draft now would reduce the quality of the military, while driving up its cost.

      "The draft would be the Army's worst nightmare," said retired Lt. Col. Leonard Wong, now a research professor at the U.S. Army War College at Carlisle Barracks. "We have a high quality Army because we have people who want to be in it. Our volunteer force is really a professional force. You can't draft people into a profession."

      A fundamental problem with a draft today, experts say, is that the historic two-year period of conscription isn't enough time to get a return on the investment in training that modern soldiers require. "There's just too much equipment [draftees] could break," Pike said.

      A related problem: the cost of feeding, clothing, training and paying a large influx of unskilled personnel would gobble up funds the military needs for other purposes.

      "We're a personnel-based institution," Wong said. "If we have a lot more people walking in the door, it would suck up all of our resources."
      **There is as yet no definitive answer to the question of whether or not the U.S. will reinstitute a draft. Obviously some thought has been given to the issue, but the possibility that such thoughts will be turned into reality appears rather small at this point. Still, conditions and attitudes can change very quickly - another event of the magnitude of the September 11 attacks could prompt some rapid shifts in government policy and public opinion.

      So while it doesn't hurt to be aware of what your congress is doing, the likelyhood of this isn't very good at the moment.

      I now return you to your regularly scheduled list

      Gwenhyfar Stuart