slightly off topic- I apologize

  • Kathleen
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 18, 2004
      I apologize if this is not allowed, but, as this has to do with
      costuming and the SCA in a broad sense, I hope it will be endured. I
      am currently pulling my hair out trying to choose a digital camera. I
      am wondering what cameras you suggest? My requirements are optical
      zoom, at least 2 MP, and SD memory card capability... I am going to
      TRF in 2 weeks, and I want to be able to photograph lovely costumes
      and then go home and actually zoom in on details- which is why
      digital zoom wont work for me. If you would prefer to respond with
      any help off list, I understand, my email is belle_vivre@.... I
      really am at my wit's end!

      Thanks for any help!

      Veronica Venier
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 18, 2004
        On Saturday 18 September 2004 15:51, Kathleen wrote:
        > I apologize if this is not allowed, but, as this has to do with
        > costuming and the SCA in a broad sense, I hope it will be endured. I
        > am currently pulling my hair out trying to choose a digital camera. I
        > am wondering what cameras you suggest? My requirements are optical
        > zoom, at least 2 MP, and SD memory card capability... I am going to
        > TRF in 2 weeks, and I want to be able to photograph lovely costumes
        > and then go home and actually zoom in on details- which is why
        > digital zoom wont work for me. If you would prefer to respond with
        > any help off list, I understand, my email is belle_vivre@.... I
        > really am at my wit's end!

        I'd be glad to correspond with you off list about this, and I suspect that
        others would as well.

        Since the list has been fairly quiet lately, and this does kind of relate to
        SCA (in a roundabout way), how about this: As one of the moderators, I'll
        say "This topic is okay until someone objects, then we all agree that it goes
        off-list after that."

        So if anyone has a problem with this, please by all means feel free to let
        us know (gently), and we'll take the hint. :-)

        I've marked my reply with [OT] ("off topic")...others replying, please do
        same.

        Justin
        Member, list moderation team

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Susan Farmer
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 19, 2004
          > I apologize if this is not allowed, but, as this has to do with
          > costuming and the SCA in a broad sense, I hope it will be endured. I
          > am currently pulling my hair out trying to choose a digital camera. I
          > am wondering what cameras you suggest? My requirements are optical
          > zoom, at least 2 MP, and SD memory card capability... I am going to
          > TRF in 2 weeks, and I want to be able to photograph lovely costumes
          > and then go home and actually zoom in on details- which is why
          > digital zoom wont work for me. If you would prefer to respond with
          > any help off list, I understand, my email is belle_vivre@.... I
          > really am at my wit's end!

          My Lady, you left off one very important detail -- how much are you
          able to spend? Personally, I"d suggest one of the 3-4Mpx models.
          My friend had a Fuji-fine pix that took exceptional photos.

          Jerusha in Meridies
        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 19, 2004
            On Sunday 19 September 2004 10:14, Susan Farmer wrote:
            > My friend had a Fuji-fine pix that took exceptional photos.

            I have the Fujifilm 4800Z, a 3.5 megapixel unit. I bought it about two
            years ago for approximately $600...equivalent models are now much lower
            in cost than that. It does a great job on casual snapshots and is small
            and flat enough to fit into a belt pouch.

            Good things:

            * Fuji uses a hexagonal CCD cell that gives you a much better effective
            resolution than the raw pixel count would suggest.
            * No moving parts...hooks up to the computer using USB port, and appears
            to the computer as a simple USB hard drive. Most modern operating systems
            need *no special software* to access it. Just plug it in and it works.
            I use it under Linux, which automatically recognizes it as an external
            disk drive. There is "camera software" available, but you really don't
            need it for modern o.s.
            * Pretty good manual control over things like white balance and exposure.
            I almost never use automatic mode (but then, in 35mm work I use an old
            Pentax K1000 full-manual, by choice).
            * I've gotten some fantastic battle shots with this camera. In bright
            daylight, its shutter speed is nice and short and sometimes even moving
            weapons are captured with minimal or zero blur.
            * Surprisingly, if you have a scene that is fairly still, you can work
            flashless with this camera. I've gotten good shots of Royal Court even
            though I refuse to use flash because I find it disruptive of the period
            atmosphere. This work requires a tripod or a very steady hand (with which
            I happen to be gifted), and you learn to time the picture to those instants
            where a person's body stops moving as they transition from one motion to
            the next. It takes practice, but becomes intuitive after a while.

            Bad things:

            * The optics have a small amount of spherical aberration, noticeable if
            you are photographing something like a brick wall at very wide angle.
            * Like most small digital cameras, has no provision for external "real"
            lenses...just the little built-in zoom.
            * The zoom goes way in for close-ups (a good thing) but doesn't zoom out
            for wide angle as far as I would like. To be fair, in 35mm work I have
            a dedicated wide-angle lense that I use, so the comparison may be
            unfair.
            * The best you can do for low-light is 400 ASA equivalent...this camera
            is not good for working flashless at a campfire.
            * In very low light conditions, some graininess appears. This is a common
            limitation of low-cost digicams. The Fuji is better than many, but still
            has the problem.

            Overall, I'm quite pleased with this unit. I am seriously shopping for an
            upgrade -- a true "film killer" this time -- but even when I get the new
            camera, I will still keep my 4800 to use when I don't want to carry the
            larger one with all its accessory lenses.

            You can see some of my work with the 4800 at these URLs:

            http://4th.com/lizard/photos/ (I suggest the Beijing and Tianjin albums)

            http://4th.com/photo.php?dir=sca/justin/photos/pennsic32&prefix=pennsic32

            http://4th.com/sca/justin/ (look for photo albums in the menus at left)

            Two caveats:

            1. I make a mental distinction between "photographs" and "snapshots". Not
            all of my work is intended to be serious amateur photography -- sometimes
            I just snap a photo to remember an event with friends or family. In other
            words, I'm not holding these albums up as great works of art. :-)

            2. To prevent my work from being stolen by some of the online image aggregators
            (such as the one run by Microsoft), I never put my high-resolution images
            on the web. The camera works at 1600x1200 or 1280x1024, but I only publish
            images that are scaled to 800x600 or less. So....the images on my web site
            are not the full quality that the camera can deliver, because there is always
            some loss of resolution when scaling a photo.

            Hope this helps!

            keys fesswise reversed sable.