Re: [SCA Newcomers] Politics

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2004
      In a message dated 9/7/2004 3:17:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      becca_price@... writes:

      <<I just got a note saying that the King and Queen of the Middle Kingdom
      would like everyone in the North Woods Barony to attend a specific
      event this weekend. I wasn't planning to go, and I'm not really sure
      what it's all about... but I'm just not sure whether I should attend
      or not. On the not side is that I don't think there will be anything
      for my kids to do there; on the go side is that if it's important
      enough for the King and Queen to make the request that everyone
      possible attend, maybe I should... on the other hand, as a newcomer, I
      don't know that I'd have anything to contribute or that it would
      really affect me all that much.>>

      In 15 years, I have NEVER heard royalty request that everyone from a specific
      group attend a specific event. Given the fact that we all have mundane
      lives, it's highly unlikely that everyone will attend anyway - someone is bound to
      have to work, or be ill, or be out of town for family reasons, or something.
      I certainly wouldn't be concerned that you might "get in trouble" if you don't
      go. Especially if you just received the note on Tuesday for an event this
      weekend.
      I think that being concerned about your kids not having anything to do is a
      good reason not to go. Your responsibility to your family comes first. You
      might try contacting the event autocrat to ask about children's stuff, and if
      they know anything about what the reason is; equally, you might try contacting
      Their Majesties and tell them exactly waht you told us. I can't guarentee that
      they will answer you, of course.
      This just sounds wierd. But since I'm not in the Middle, I don't know
      anything about it at all.

      Lancaster, PA

    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2004
        On Tuesday 07 September 2004 18:26, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
        > I certainly wouldn't be concerned that you might "get in trouble" if you
        > don't go.  [...]
        > I think that being concerned about your kids not having anything to do is a
        > good reason not to go.  Your responsibility to your family comes first.

        Well spoken. The SCA is an entirely *voluntary* organization; our corporate
        governing documents specifically state that no one can be compelled to
        participate in activities against their wishes. (And this is, of course,
        backed by modern-world laws.)

        We have an expression in the SCA: RLCF. Real Life Comes First.

        The SCA is a game. It can be an extremely absorbing hobby, something that
        for many of us consumes a lot of our spare time (and rewards that time by
        providing a huge amount of enjoyment). Absorbing as it is, however, it is
        still a hobby, not reality.

        It's up to you whether or not you wish to attend the meeting. The fact that
        Their Majesties will be there in person suggests that the meeting is of
        considerable importance, but you will most certainly *not* be "in trouble"
        if you choose not to attend.

        William spoke well about the issues of honor and fealty, as well. I do not
        mean to discount his post, but I will point out that you, as a newcomer,
        have not previously committed to any sort of fealty, nor to attendance
        at any event. To say, "I will be there", and then to fail to show up could
        be thought dishonorable, unless there was a good reason, but to not do
        that which you have never promised in the first place brings no shame. :-)

        I hope I *haven't* steered you one way or the other....my intent is simply
        to make you feel comfortable choosing to attend, or not attend, as you
        see fit. :-)

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Megan & Dave
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2004
          How old are your kids? If they are older, you could always see if one of the local notables is interrested in a page for the afternoon. I don't know why their Majesties want Northwoods at
          this particular event (Aside from the fact that they are from the barony), however, as has been stated, it is perfectly reasonable to invoke the RLCF clause. If you really want to play the politics, you could write them an "apology" type note to let them know why you aren't able to come.

          Gwenhyfar Stuart
          Starleaf Gate

          becca_price@... writes:

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • becca_price
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2004
            <justin@4...> wrote:
            If I somehow implied that I would "be in trouble" attending, I'm sorry
            - that wasn't my concern. Rather, I was concerned that there might be
            matters of import discussed that I had no background in and so
            couldn't give an informed opinion on.

            I did contact the person in charge of archery, and my son would be
            welcome - have to be checked out, of course, but the emphasis on
            safety is one of the things I like.

            someone suggested that I check midrealm.org and actually look at the
            event description (duh! this is a *research* based organization!)
            which I did, and it sounds like fun, so I might go anyway.

            I do like RLCF - real life comes first - it's a great axiom!

            =becca