Re: [SCA Newcomers] New arrival

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
      On Wednesday 01 September 2004 18:52, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
      > My Lord Tekton;

      Actually, I'm "Justin". Tekton is my surname. (No offense taken.)

      > My thanks to thee for thy gracious enlightenment.

      It is my pleasure to help newcomers, hence my reason for being on the
      list. This is one of my very favorite things to do in the SCA! :-)

      > Indeed my persona of William of Crioch Branach is a blend of actual
      > ancestors and a bit of fiction on my part.
      >
      > In ancient Ireland (Erin), Crioch Branach was the mountain regin
      > stronghold of the Clan O'Byrne occupying modern day County Wicklow,
      > south of Dublin.
      >
      > william is a scribe which corresponds to my modern-day occupation of
      > journalist in Kankakee, Illinois. His character also reflects the
      > colorful period of Crioch Branach in the 15th Century.

      Excellent! You have a WONDERFUL beginning of a persona, and many people
      who have been in the SCA for a year or even more don't have that much
      detail yet. You have a fine starting point for your research. Have fun!

      > In service to a newfound friend.

      I'm honored that you feel that way. Pray tell, where is your homeland in
      the modern world?

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
        On Wednesday 01 September 2004 18:52, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
        > william is a scribe which corresponds to my modern-day occupation of
        > journalist in Kankakee, Illinois.

        [SHAMELESS_PLUG]
        Journalist, eh? Hmmmm...... (evil grin spreads across Justin's face...)

        At some point, you might want to go have a look at http://scatoday.net/ .
        This is a non-commercial, volunteer-run news portal for medievalists,
        most especially the SCA. We're always looking for volunteer reporters and
        editors to contribute news about the Current Middle Ages as well as notes
        of historical interest, such as major museum special exhibits or significant
        archaeological discoveries. Should you ever get bored, please consider
        sending an email to editor@... or publisher@... and let
        us find you something to do. {BIG GRIN}

        SCAtoday.net is completely unofficial and is not an SCA corporate publication.
        [/SHAMELESS_PLUG]

        And while I was typing this, my wife Milica, who is the Editor-In-Chief of
        SCAtoday.net (I am the Publisher and Webmaster) just walked into the room.
        She also happens to be the Chronicler of the Middle Kingdom (the office of
        Chronicler is the person who produces local, baronial, or Kingdom newsletters).
        Her beady little eyes lit up when I mentioned what I was writing, and she
        said, "Hmmm....maybe he'd like to be a Chronicler!"

        But Milica is on this list also, so I will let her issue her own shameless
        plug for that office. ;-) Hey Milica, here's your segue: "Gee, Milica, I
        wonder how many newcomers aren't aware of what a Chronicler does? Perhaps
        you should explain the office's role." Bwahahahaha! (Pssst....Milica
        got zapped with the Order of the Dragon's Heart, a service award, at Pennsic
        this year.)

        My good lord William, I suspect you will find your skills to be in great
        demand in the SCA, should you wish to apply them. Welcome indeed!

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Milica of Varna
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
          Justin is shameless! But, yes, I would encourage anyone who enjoys writing to
          consider either serving as your group's chronicler or contributing articles
          to the group's newsletter. Far too few people take on this valuable work.

          What does a chonicler do? The office of Chronicler produces a group's
          newsletter, the purpose of which is to keep members informaed about the
          activities of the group, educated on issues of interest to the membership and
          entertained. A newsletter can be one sheet of paper or it can be many pages.
          It all depends on the needs of the group - and quite frankly the group's
          ability to pay for printing and postage. This is an extremely valuable
          service since it bears the responsibility of keeping members informed. I
          would highly recommend that anyone with an interest in writing to get
          involved in this way. It's useful, it's appreciated, and most important, it's
          fun!

          Milica

          On Friday 03 September 2004 08:44, Iustinos Tekton called Justin wrote:
          > But Milica is on this list also, so I will let her issue her own shameless
          > plug for that office. ;-)  Hey Milica, here's your segue:  "Gee, Milica, I
          > wonder how many newcomers aren't aware of what a Chronicler does?

          THL Milica of Varna
          Middle Kingdom Chronicler
          chronicler@...

        • william_of_crioch_branach
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2004
            Noble Friend Justin:
            Forsake thy "evil grin" for a kind thought can ne'er be deemed
            sinister.
            My knowledge of the SCA and Midrealm is at this time slight and
            therefore I would doubt being of my use in any "official" role.
            I would however be interested in helping and learning more about
            the role of Chronicler and in what why I might assist SCAtoday.net.
            At some point when my knowledge of this realm suffices, I would be
            willing to consider a Chronicler role.
            Never fear Lady Milica, I would not seek to usurp your interest
            in the Chronicler post. I've been a journalist for 35 years and am
            not looking for a new job, just to learn more of this mythic realm.
            Good cheer to all.
            -- william of crioch branach

            <justin@4...> wrote:
            > On Wednesday 01 September 2004 18:52, william_of_crioch_branach
            wrote:
            > > william is a scribe which corresponds to my modern-day
            occupation of
            > > journalist in Kankakee, Illinois.
            >
            > [SHAMELESS_PLUG]
            > Journalist, eh? Hmmmm...... (evil grin spreads across Justin's
            face...)

          • Milica of Varna
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 7, 2004
              Ha! Good m'lord,

              Usurp away. My tenure will be over in January and I can go back to being a
              simple seneschal and newswire editor. ;-)

              Seriously, if you have any interest in chroncling, please contact me and I'll
              answer what questions I can.

              Milica

              On Saturday 04 September 2004 19:36, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
              > Never fear Lady Milica, I would not seek to usurp your interest
              > in the Chronicler post. I've been a journalist for 35 years and am
              > not looking for a new job, just to learn more of this mythic realm.
              >    Good cheer to all.
              >  -- william of crioch branach

              THL Milica of Varna
              Middle Kingdom Chronicler
              chronicler@...

            • william_of_crioch_branach
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 7, 2004
                Salutations Lady Milica;
                Your kind offer does honor to one such as I, so unlearned in the
                ways of the Dream.
                Methinks in the months remaining in your tenure my knowledge of
                SCA ways and wit will grow sufficient to ask the questions you
                propose.
                For now I will treasure your kind thoughts on my behalf.
                -- william of crioch branach

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Milica of Varna <milica@4...>

                *****************

                > THL Milica of Varna
                > Middle Kingdom Chronicler
                > chronicler@m...

                *****************
              • Milica of Varna
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 9, 2004
                  Good m'lord, and know that if I can answer them I gladly will!

                  Hope to meet you soon.

                  Milica

                  On Tuesday 07 September 2004 23:33, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
                  > Salutations Lady Milica;
                  >    Your kind offer does honor to one such as I, so unlearned in the
                  > ways of the Dream.
                  >    Methinks in the months remaining in your tenure my knowledge of
                  > SCA ways and wit will grow sufficient to ask the questions you
                  > propose.
                  >    For now I will treasure your kind thoughts on my behalf.
                  >    -- william of crioch branach

                  THL Milica of Varna
                  Middle Kingdom Chronicler
                  chronicler@...