Hello All

  • ulvika
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2004
      I am still new to the sca, just attended my 2nd Pennsic. Had a great
      time even in all the rain! I am looking for a active group close to
      me, the one in my area doesn't seem to be right for me! Can I join a
      different area? I live in Western Pa very close to Ohio state line
      which is in a different kingdom, does that matter? To make things
      evern more confusing I camp and fight with a Trimaris (Florida)
      group at Pennsic, but want to attend more events. Can any one help
      me out with some advice?
    • Rob
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 25, 2006
        My name is Rob and I am completely new to all this. I have always had
        an interest in the medieval time period but never been involved with
        actual groups. The first event I attended was the 5th Annual Sea
        Tygers Rhyn Demo. I met some very nice people there and looked forward
        to attending my second event, which was the Saint Eligius event. Both
        were good times for me.

        As of yet I am still undecided about a name but am leaning towards
        Earland the Lost. I would really like to find a name with a meaning
        behind it but I have read that most sites that have so
        called "meaning" for the names are not accurate.

        Well just wanted to introduce myself to all, and tips and advice for
        the new guy are welcomed =)

        Thank you all
      • Sydney Walker Freedman
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 25, 2006
          Greetings and Welcome!

          Do you have any ideas for a persona yet (what time period and place
          and such)? Coming up with a name is much easier once you've done
          that, at least to the point that you know in what language and from
          what time period your name would have been.

          > My name is Rob and I am completely new to all this. I have always had
          > an interest in the medieval time period but never been involved with
          > actual groups. The first event I attended was the 5th Annual Sea
          > Tygers Rhyn Demo. I met some very nice people there and looked forward
          > to attending my second event, which was the Saint Eligius event. Both
          > were good times for me.
          >
          > As of yet I am still undecided about a name but am leaning towards
          > Earland the Lost. I would really like to find a name with a meaning
          > behind it but I have read that most sites that have so
          > called "meaning" for the names are not accurate.
          >
          > Well just wanted to introduce myself to all, and tips and advice for
          > the new guy are welcomed =)
          >
          > Thank you all

          Pax Christi,
          Sydney
        • Sara L Uckelman
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 25, 2006
            Welcome! Glad to see you found your way here.

            Quoth "Rob":
            > As of yet I am still undecided about a name but am leaning towards
            > Earland the Lost. I would really like to find a name with a meaning
            > behind it but I have read that most sites that have so
            > called "meaning" for the names are not accurate.

            There are some sites out there that do provide reliable information
            concerning etymology of names. However, while the meaning of a name
            is something which modern people take fairly seriously, this wasn't
            the case during our period: The meaning of a name wasn't necessarily
            known to the average person, and had little (and usually no)
            influence on the name's being chosen. Rather, names were picked
            because they were names of saints, because they were names of
            family members, or because they were names of popular monarchs
            (witness the huge popularity of <Elizabeth> in late 16th century
            England!).

            Where did you find the name <Earland>? I don't recognize it.

            -Aryanhwy

            --
            vita sine literis mors est
            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 25, 2006
              I am thinking about the Norse Viking type. I was looking at Celtic
              but could not find much on archery for them. I'm looking for
              something that fits into archery. The name Earland also Erland I
              found on a site with Norse names. Supposedly meaning "foreigner",
              which would kind of fit me =)

              Thanks

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...>
              wrote:

              > Welcome! Glad to see you found your way here.
              >
              > Quoth "Rob":
              > > As of yet I am still undecided about a name but am leaning
              towards
              > > Earland the Lost. I would really like to find a name with a
              meaning
              > > behind it but I have read that most sites that have so
              > > called "meaning" for the names are not accurate.
              >
              > There are some sites out there that do provide reliable information
              > concerning etymology of names. However, while the meaning of a name
              > is something which modern people take fairly seriously, this wasn't
              > the case during our period: The meaning of a name wasn't necessarily
              > known to the average person, and had little (and usually no)
              > influence on the name's being chosen. Rather, names were picked
              > because they were names of saints, because they were names of
              > family members, or because they were names of popular monarchs
              > (witness the huge popularity of <Elizabeth> in late 16th century
              > England!).
              >
              > Where did you find the name <Earland>? I don't recognize it.
              >
              > -Aryanhwy
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 26, 2006
                "As of yet I am still undecided about a name but am leaning towards Earland the Lost. I would really like to find a name with a meaning behind it but I have read that most sites that have so called "meaning" for the names are not accurate."

                Don't worry about a name yet. The one on your Birth Certificate works just fine. You are going to find so many cool things to do in the SCA. Focus on finding your fun stuff and building what you DO in the SCA. Once you have that down then work on building your persona and name.

                Also you will likely find at least a FEW different names you like and think are pretty cool as you move along your path in the SCA. So don't worry about it. Hold off for about a year while you work things out and try out different things.

                Ian the Green

                Some SCA Pictures

                http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianthegreen

              • Rob
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 26, 2006
                  I actually am enjoying the archery. I never shot a bow before I went
                  to the 1st event. even then I didn't try to shot one. I went home
                  after that day, did some research, ordered some books and made my 1st
                  bow. that was the 1st bow I made and ever shot. I am now trying to get
                  into making the strings now and then ill move onto the arrows. I would
                  actually like to try to stay simple and kind of humble like a peasant
                  or noble, not sure on the right term for it. I also enjoy helping as
                  much as I can when it comes to setting up or taking down stuff clean
                  up and what not. Also financially I don't want to get in over my head
                  with the garb and other stuff so I try to make all my own gear and
                  garb.

                  Thank you for you advice, and I will hold off on the name picking for
                  now. Im just having trouble trying to sing out a specific time and
                  place I want to stick with. Figured if I found a name id work around
                  it then =)

                  Thanks

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Dave <mystborne@...> wrote:
                  > Don't worry about a name yet. The one on your Birth Certificate
                  works just fine. You are going to find so many cool things to do in
                  the SCA. Focus on finding your fun stuff and building what you DO in
                  the SCA. Once you have that down then work on building your persona
                  and name.

                  > Also you will likely find at least a FEW different names you like
                  and think are pretty cool as you move along your path in the SCA. So
                  don't worry about it. Hold off for about a year while you work things
                  out and try out different things.

                  > Ian the Green
                • archerpren
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 26, 2006
                    "Rob" <drunken-savage@...> wrote:
                    > I actually am enjoying the archery.

                    Dear Rob, I am really glad to hear that you enjoy archery. I am pretty
                    new to the SCA but have been shooting FITA (like the olympics) for 8
                    months. My coach says I shouldn't do both FITA and SCA cause they are
                    so different and it will distract me from my FITA technique.:0( but I
                    had fun while I did it. I am soooooo impressed that you made your own
                    gear. I'd really like to hear more about that and about your research.
                    If you want to write me off list that would be great! Unless other
                    people are interested in this then maybe you could post here. Oh and I
                    wanted a persona that involved archery too but was advised against
                    picking anything permanent at this point as well. I do feel like some
                    semblance of historical accuracy is needed but if we were going to be
                    100% accurate most of us would be pesant class and girls wouldn't get
                    to do anything fun. ;0). so I think that if you want a name in a time
                    but can't find any proof that there were archers it's still ok to pick
                    that name and just pretend there was archery there (did that make any
                    sense?) hope to hear from you soon. Pren
                  • Claire & The Girls
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 27, 2006
                      Rob,

                      Welcome. We are newbies also. We were at St. Eligius. Were you wearing garb or mundane clothing?

                      We spent most of our time by the fencing & fighting area.

                      We have chosen to create personas from the Tang Dynasty which is proving to be a bit more difficult than we expected but still extremely interesting if nothing else. And unfortunately we were not in period garb as we have not created anything yet.

                      We look forward to seeing you at future events.

                      Have you heard the good news? - There's cookies!
                      Claire & The Girls
                      The View Never Changes If Your Not In The Lead - Terrier Racing
                      http://www.connecticutratterriers.com

                    • Rob
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 27, 2006
                        > Rob,

                        Welcome. We are newbies also. We were at St. Eligius. Were you
                        wearing garb or mundane clothing?

                        Welcome as well, I was in some make shift garb i threw togeather for
                        the event. with a black cloak on that i purchased to hide my garb
                        lol.

                        We spent most of our time by the fencing & fighting area.

                        The fightings really cool and i walked by a few times but didnt
                        really stop. I kinda like to look from a distance. I was mostly at
                        the archery range shooting at the smoking dragon.

                        We have chosen to create personas from the Tang Dynasty which is
                        proving to be a bit more difficult than we expected but still
                        extremely interesting if nothing else. And unfortunately we were
                        not in period garb as we have not created anything yet.

                        Yeah my Garb was a basic under tunic with a plain sleaveless over
                        tunic. Since i have nothing really going with my persona yet i
                        guessed it would work. I'm leaning towards to vikings due to the
                        archery thing but still very undecided.

                        We look forward to seeing you at future events.

                        As do I =)

                        Thank You
                      • Rob
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 27, 2006
                          "I am pretty new to the SCA but have been shooting FITA (like the
                          olympics) for 8 months. My coach says I shouldn't do both FITA and
                          SCA cause they are so different and it will distract me from my FITA
                          technique.:0( but I had fun while I did it."

                          That's really cool that you shoot FITA. What do you use? A modern
                          compound bow?

                          "I'd really like to hear more about that and about your research."

                          As far as my research went, I started with a site I found online
                          called, Bow building for the poor or apartment dweller. it was a
                          cool site with good information on how to build a longbow out of a
                          piece of wood bought from Home Depot =). Then from there I just kept
                          searching for sites and ended up ordering the Traditional Boyer's
                          Bible Vol.'s 1-3. I had most of the tools I needed just had to pick
                          up a few plus the wood. My first bow came out decent I think. Just
                          the bottom limb doesn't bend as much as the top one so its not a
                          perfect "D" shape and it's a little light on the draw, but for me
                          who's never shot before it was great =).

                          "Oh and I wanted a persona that involved archery too but was
                          advised against picking anything permanent at this point as well."

                          Well so far I know the English and Vikings shot bows. There are a
                          couple others but cant remember at the moment =/

                          "but if we were going to be 100% accurate most of us would be pesant
                          class and girls wouldn't get to do anything fun. ;0)."

                          LOL I guess That's true huh =) It be a bunch of farmers raising
                          chickens =D

                          "so I think that if you want a name in a time but can't find any
                          proof that there were archers it's still ok to pick that name and
                          just pretend there was archery there (did that make any sense?) hope
                          to hear from you soon. Pren"

                          Made perfect sense. I kind of wanted to make a persona that its from
                          ______ but was raised in ______ if that makes any sense =). But
                          still trying to figure out where the "blanks" are.

                          Thanks good luck and shoot straight =)
                        • Sara L Uckelman
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 27, 2006
                            Quoth "Rob":
                            > I am thinking about the Norse Viking type. I was looking at Celtic

                            That's it! It had really been bugging me that I could find
                            <Erland> in my sources - turns out I was looking in the wrong
                            culture! (English, rather than Norse.) The standard Norse spelling
                            of the name is <Erlendr>, and the name occurs twice in the
                            Landnamabok (the book of the settling of Iceland). You can find more
                            info about Norse names in my articles -

                            "Viking Names found in the Landn��mab��k"
                            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/norse/landnamabok.html

                            "Viking Bynames found in the Landn��mab��k"
                            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/norse/vikbynames.html

                            "A Simple Guide to Creating Old Norse Names"
                            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/norse/sg
                            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/norse/vikbynames.html

                            "A Simple Guide to Creating Old Norse Names"
                            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/norse/sg-viking.html

                            -Aryanhwy

                            --
                            vita sine literis mors est
                            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 27, 2006
                              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <drunken-savage@...> wrote:
                              > >That's really cool that you shoot FITA. What do you use? A modern
                              compound bow?

                              I shoot a recurve bow. Lots of people in the SCA shoot recurves as well
                              but FITA has a sight and weights for balance (gizmos you know) and you
                              can't use those in the SCA.

                              > >Bow building for the poor or apartment dweller. it was a
                              > >cool site with good information on how to build a longbow out of a
                              > >piece of wood bought from Home Depot =).

                              I am going to check this out today! thanks.
                              pren
                            • Rob
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 27, 2006
                                > I shoot a recurve bow. Lots of people in the SCA shoot recurves as
                                well

                                LOL I actually meant Recurve i just have memory hicups once in
                                awhile =D

                                > > >Bow building for the poor or apartment dweller.
                                > I am going to check this out today! thanks.
                                > pren

                                Heres the link not sure if i can post links to other sites on here.
                                so my apologizes if i am doing something im not soposed to.

                                http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/index.html

                                GL and HF
                              • Rob
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 27, 2006
                                  > That's it! It had really been bugging me that I could find
                                  > <Erland> in my sources - turns out I was looking in the wrong
                                  > culture! (English, rather than Norse.)

                                  LOL cool im glad you got it. I hate when things get to me like that
                                  aswell. you know you know it but cant figure out from where. =)

                                  The standard Norse spelling
                                  > of the name is <Erlendr>, and the name occurs twice in the
                                  > Landnamabok (the book of the settling of Iceland). You can find
                                  more info about Norse names in my articles -

                                  Nice, thank you very much for the info. I will go take a look at the
                                  sites in a few. I appreciate the links.

                                  Once again TY