Re: [SCA Newcomers] New arrival

  • william_of_crioch_branach
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
      My Lord Tekton;
      My thanks to thee for thy gracious enlightenment.
      Indeed my persona of William of Crioch Branach is a blend of actual
      ancestors and a bit of fiction on my part.

      In ancient Ireland (Erin), Crioch Branach was the mountain regin
      stronghold of the Clan O'Byrne occupying modern day County Wicklow,
      south of Dublin.

      william is a scribe which corresponds to my modern-day occupation of
      journalist in Kankakee, Illinois. His character also reflects the
      colorful period of Crioch Branach in the 15th Century.

      In service to a newfound friend.

      --william
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
        On Wednesday 01 September 2004 18:52, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
        > My Lord Tekton;

        Actually, I'm "Justin". Tekton is my surname. (No offense taken.)

        > My thanks to thee for thy gracious enlightenment.

        It is my pleasure to help newcomers, hence my reason for being on the
        list. This is one of my very favorite things to do in the SCA! :-)

        > Indeed my persona of William of Crioch Branach is a blend of actual
        > ancestors and a bit of fiction on my part.
        >
        > In ancient Ireland (Erin), Crioch Branach was the mountain regin
        > stronghold of the Clan O'Byrne occupying modern day County Wicklow,
        > south of Dublin.
        >
        > william is a scribe which corresponds to my modern-day occupation of
        > journalist in Kankakee, Illinois. His character also reflects the
        > colorful period of Crioch Branach in the 15th Century.

        Excellent! You have a WONDERFUL beginning of a persona, and many people
        who have been in the SCA for a year or even more don't have that much
        detail yet. You have a fine starting point for your research. Have fun!

        > In service to a newfound friend.

        I'm honored that you feel that way. Pray tell, where is your homeland in
        the modern world?

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
          On Wednesday 01 September 2004 18:52, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
          > william is a scribe which corresponds to my modern-day occupation of
          > journalist in Kankakee, Illinois.

          [SHAMELESS_PLUG]
          Journalist, eh? Hmmmm...... (evil grin spreads across Justin's face...)

          At some point, you might want to go have a look at http://scatoday.net/ .
          This is a non-commercial, volunteer-run news portal for medievalists,
          most especially the SCA. We're always looking for volunteer reporters and
          editors to contribute news about the Current Middle Ages as well as notes
          of historical interest, such as major museum special exhibits or significant
          archaeological discoveries. Should you ever get bored, please consider
          sending an email to editor@... or publisher@... and let
          us find you something to do. {BIG GRIN}

          SCAtoday.net is completely unofficial and is not an SCA corporate publication.
          [/SHAMELESS_PLUG]

          And while I was typing this, my wife Milica, who is the Editor-In-Chief of
          SCAtoday.net (I am the Publisher and Webmaster) just walked into the room.
          She also happens to be the Chronicler of the Middle Kingdom (the office of
          Chronicler is the person who produces local, baronial, or Kingdom newsletters).
          Her beady little eyes lit up when I mentioned what I was writing, and she
          said, "Hmmm....maybe he'd like to be a Chronicler!"

          But Milica is on this list also, so I will let her issue her own shameless
          plug for that office. ;-) Hey Milica, here's your segue: "Gee, Milica, I
          wonder how many newcomers aren't aware of what a Chronicler does? Perhaps
          you should explain the office's role." Bwahahahaha! (Pssst....Milica
          got zapped with the Order of the Dragon's Heart, a service award, at Pennsic
          this year.)

          My good lord William, I suspect you will find your skills to be in great
          demand in the SCA, should you wish to apply them. Welcome indeed!

          keys fesswise reversed sable.

        • Milica of Varna
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
            Justin is shameless! But, yes, I would encourage anyone who enjoys writing to
            consider either serving as your group's chronicler or contributing articles
            to the group's newsletter. Far too few people take on this valuable work.

            What does a chonicler do? The office of Chronicler produces a group's
            newsletter, the purpose of which is to keep members informaed about the
            activities of the group, educated on issues of interest to the membership and
            entertained. A newsletter can be one sheet of paper or it can be many pages.
            It all depends on the needs of the group - and quite frankly the group's
            ability to pay for printing and postage. This is an extremely valuable
            service since it bears the responsibility of keeping members informed. I
            would highly recommend that anyone with an interest in writing to get
            involved in this way. It's useful, it's appreciated, and most important, it's
            fun!

            Milica

            On Friday 03 September 2004 08:44, Iustinos Tekton called Justin wrote:
            > But Milica is on this list also, so I will let her issue her own shameless
            > plug for that office. ;-)  Hey Milica, here's your segue:  "Gee, Milica, I
            > wonder how many newcomers aren't aware of what a Chronicler does?

            THL Milica of Varna
            Middle Kingdom Chronicler
            chronicler@...

          • william_of_crioch_branach
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 4, 2004
              Noble Friend Justin:
              Forsake thy "evil grin" for a kind thought can ne'er be deemed
              sinister.
              My knowledge of the SCA and Midrealm is at this time slight and
              therefore I would doubt being of my use in any "official" role.
              I would however be interested in helping and learning more about
              the role of Chronicler and in what why I might assist SCAtoday.net.
              At some point when my knowledge of this realm suffices, I would be
              willing to consider a Chronicler role.
              Never fear Lady Milica, I would not seek to usurp your interest
              in the Chronicler post. I've been a journalist for 35 years and am
              not looking for a new job, just to learn more of this mythic realm.
              Good cheer to all.
              -- william of crioch branach

              <justin@4...> wrote:
              > On Wednesday 01 September 2004 18:52, william_of_crioch_branach
              wrote:
              > > william is a scribe which corresponds to my modern-day
              occupation of
              > > journalist in Kankakee, Illinois.
              >
              > [SHAMELESS_PLUG]
              > Journalist, eh? Hmmmm...... (evil grin spreads across Justin's
              face...)

            • Milica of Varna
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 7, 2004
                Ha! Good m'lord,

                Usurp away. My tenure will be over in January and I can go back to being a
                simple seneschal and newswire editor. ;-)

                Seriously, if you have any interest in chroncling, please contact me and I'll
                answer what questions I can.

                Milica

                On Saturday 04 September 2004 19:36, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
                > Never fear Lady Milica, I would not seek to usurp your interest
                > in the Chronicler post. I've been a journalist for 35 years and am
                > not looking for a new job, just to learn more of this mythic realm.
                >    Good cheer to all.
                >  -- william of crioch branach

                THL Milica of Varna
                Middle Kingdom Chronicler
                chronicler@...

              • william_of_crioch_branach
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 7, 2004
                  Salutations Lady Milica;
                  Your kind offer does honor to one such as I, so unlearned in the
                  ways of the Dream.
                  Methinks in the months remaining in your tenure my knowledge of
                  SCA ways and wit will grow sufficient to ask the questions you
                  propose.
                  For now I will treasure your kind thoughts on my behalf.
                  -- william of crioch branach

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Milica of Varna <milica@4...>

                  *****************

                  > THL Milica of Varna
                  > Middle Kingdom Chronicler
                  > chronicler@m...

                  *****************
                • Milica of Varna
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 9, 2004
                    Good m'lord, and know that if I can answer them I gladly will!

                    Hope to meet you soon.

                    Milica

                    On Tuesday 07 September 2004 23:33, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
                    > Salutations Lady Milica;
                    >    Your kind offer does honor to one such as I, so unlearned in the
                    > ways of the Dream.
                    >    Methinks in the months remaining in your tenure my knowledge of
                    > SCA ways and wit will grow sufficient to ask the questions you
                    > propose.
                    >    For now I will treasure your kind thoughts on my behalf.
                    >    -- william of crioch branach

                    THL Milica of Varna
                    Middle Kingdom Chronicler
                    chronicler@...