Re: [SCA Newcomers] intro

  • becca_price
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Susan Farmer <sfarmer@s...> wrote:

      > Do you have a time period of interest or is Elen going to
      > be the Garbed Time Traveler (tm) like many of us. There's a lady on
      > one of my groups who's sig like is "I'm a child of the '60s -- 1160,
      1260,
      > 1360 ....."

      I love that! (my husband says we're both '70s liberals, but I'm a
      1970s liberal and he's a 1770 liberal... <g>)

      The original personna was 9th century Wales, but some fast historical
      research dates the spelling 'Elen' back only to 1561 - to go earlier
      I'd have to go with Elena. I do like early Italian Ren. clothing, but
      the 9th century stuff is easier to make <g>. I'm not sure how a Welsh
      woman would have gotten into Italian styles, but I'm sure I can think
      of something if I decide to go with the 1561 date.

      one advantage to 9th cent. Wales is that I took a course on Celtic
      embroidery at Pennsic, and am now all excited about some of the
      designs and techniques I learned.

      so my answer in brief is... I don't know. I'm still playing with
      ideas, but have a ton of research to do before making any decisions.

      > there's a Laurel Household in my area that
      > I'd love to be a part of. On the one hand, I don't feel qualified for
      > that membership; on the other hand -- what better way to learn!

      which is exactly why I'd consider doing it - it gives a structure for
      learning.

      -becca
      Elen ap Rhys, once also called Morningstar
    • Rick B
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 27, 2012
        hey everyone, just thought i would introduce myself. My name is Rick Baker and Im member of the SCA (Blue card) in the Shire of Sterlyn Vale in New York.
      • Alison Choyce
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 27, 2012
          Hi Rick!

          Welcome! Are new to the SCA, or have you been playing a while?

          Alison Wodehalle
          East Kingdom

          --
          ~Alison

        • Maryelizabeth Hancock
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 27, 2012
             Welcome to the SCA and to this group - it is a fantastic place to learn the basics and then some.

            Apollonia

            Maryelizabeth Hancock