Re: [SCA Newcomers] New arrival

  • william_of_crioch_branach
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
      My Lord Tekton;
      My thanks to thee for thy gracious enlightenment.
      Indeed my persona of William of Crioch Branach is a blend of actual
      ancestors and a bit of fiction on my part.

      In ancient Ireland (Erin), Crioch Branach was the mountain regin
      stronghold of the Clan O'Byrne occupying modern day County Wicklow,
      south of Dublin.

      william is a scribe which corresponds to my modern-day occupation of
      journalist in Kankakee, Illinois. His character also reflects the
      colorful period of Crioch Branach in the 15th Century.

      In service to a newfound friend.

      --william
    • Tina
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
        <justin@4...> wrote:

        > I have been known to jest that "My ancestors were kicked out of
        every civilized country in Europe!"

        LOL! Now I'm really wondering if we're related. Your family isn't
        from Kentucky are they? ;)

        > Or you can do what I did -- pick "none of the above" as a culture.
        I've got all those different flavors of heritage in my background,
        but chose to do Byzantine persona in the SCA just because I find it
        interesting.

        True and Byzantine would be interesting. I've been studying Egypt for
        some writing that I'm doing and had considered creating a persona
        from that part of the world...though I'm still trying to learn more
        about everyday life.

        Just found a great site you might have visited:
        http://members.tripod.com/BlackTauna/byzantine.html

        I've bookmarked it, it's going to take some time to go through all
        the different links she has listed.

        Tina
      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
          On Wednesday 01 September 2004 18:52, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
          > My Lord Tekton;

          Actually, I'm "Justin". Tekton is my surname. (No offense taken.)

          > My thanks to thee for thy gracious enlightenment.

          It is my pleasure to help newcomers, hence my reason for being on the
          list. This is one of my very favorite things to do in the SCA! :-)

          > Indeed my persona of William of Crioch Branach is a blend of actual
          > ancestors and a bit of fiction on my part.
          >
          > In ancient Ireland (Erin), Crioch Branach was the mountain regin
          > stronghold of the Clan O'Byrne occupying modern day County Wicklow,
          > south of Dublin.
          >
          > william is a scribe which corresponds to my modern-day occupation of
          > journalist in Kankakee, Illinois. His character also reflects the
          > colorful period of Crioch Branach in the 15th Century.

          Excellent! You have a WONDERFUL beginning of a persona, and many people
          who have been in the SCA for a year or even more don't have that much
          detail yet. You have a fine starting point for your research. Have fun!

          > In service to a newfound friend.

          I'm honored that you feel that way. Pray tell, where is your homeland in
          the modern world?

          keys fesswise reversed sable.

        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
            On Wednesday 01 September 2004 18:52, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
            > william is a scribe which corresponds to my modern-day occupation of
            > journalist in Kankakee, Illinois.

            [SHAMELESS_PLUG]
            Journalist, eh? Hmmmm...... (evil grin spreads across Justin's face...)

            At some point, you might want to go have a look at http://scatoday.net/ .
            This is a non-commercial, volunteer-run news portal for medievalists,
            most especially the SCA. We're always looking for volunteer reporters and
            editors to contribute news about the Current Middle Ages as well as notes
            of historical interest, such as major museum special exhibits or significant
            archaeological discoveries. Should you ever get bored, please consider
            sending an email to editor@... or publisher@... and let
            us find you something to do. {BIG GRIN}

            SCAtoday.net is completely unofficial and is not an SCA corporate publication.
            [/SHAMELESS_PLUG]

            And while I was typing this, my wife Milica, who is the Editor-In-Chief of
            SCAtoday.net (I am the Publisher and Webmaster) just walked into the room.
            She also happens to be the Chronicler of the Middle Kingdom (the office of
            Chronicler is the person who produces local, baronial, or Kingdom newsletters).
            Her beady little eyes lit up when I mentioned what I was writing, and she
            said, "Hmmm....maybe he'd like to be a Chronicler!"

            But Milica is on this list also, so I will let her issue her own shameless
            plug for that office. ;-) Hey Milica, here's your segue: "Gee, Milica, I
            wonder how many newcomers aren't aware of what a Chronicler does? Perhaps
            you should explain the office's role." Bwahahahaha! (Pssst....Milica
            got zapped with the Order of the Dragon's Heart, a service award, at Pennsic
            this year.)

            My good lord William, I suspect you will find your skills to be in great
            demand in the SCA, should you wish to apply them. Welcome indeed!

            keys fesswise reversed sable.

          • Milica of Varna
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
              Justin is shameless! But, yes, I would encourage anyone who enjoys writing to
              consider either serving as your group's chronicler or contributing articles
              to the group's newsletter. Far too few people take on this valuable work.

              What does a chonicler do? The office of Chronicler produces a group's
              newsletter, the purpose of which is to keep members informaed about the
              activities of the group, educated on issues of interest to the membership and
              entertained. A newsletter can be one sheet of paper or it can be many pages.
              It all depends on the needs of the group - and quite frankly the group's
              ability to pay for printing and postage. This is an extremely valuable
              service since it bears the responsibility of keeping members informed. I
              would highly recommend that anyone with an interest in writing to get
              involved in this way. It's useful, it's appreciated, and most important, it's
              fun!

              Milica

              On Friday 03 September 2004 08:44, Iustinos Tekton called Justin wrote:
              > But Milica is on this list also, so I will let her issue her own shameless
              > plug for that office. ;-)  Hey Milica, here's your segue:  "Gee, Milica, I
              > wonder how many newcomers aren't aware of what a Chronicler does?

              THL Milica of Varna
              Middle Kingdom Chronicler
              chronicler@...

            • william_of_crioch_branach
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 4, 2004
                Noble Friend Justin:
                Forsake thy "evil grin" for a kind thought can ne'er be deemed
                sinister.
                My knowledge of the SCA and Midrealm is at this time slight and
                therefore I would doubt being of my use in any "official" role.
                I would however be interested in helping and learning more about
                the role of Chronicler and in what why I might assist SCAtoday.net.
                At some point when my knowledge of this realm suffices, I would be
                willing to consider a Chronicler role.
                Never fear Lady Milica, I would not seek to usurp your interest
                in the Chronicler post. I've been a journalist for 35 years and am
                not looking for a new job, just to learn more of this mythic realm.
                Good cheer to all.
                -- william of crioch branach

                <justin@4...> wrote:
                > On Wednesday 01 September 2004 18:52, william_of_crioch_branach
                wrote:
                > > william is a scribe which corresponds to my modern-day
                occupation of
                > > journalist in Kankakee, Illinois.
                >
                > [SHAMELESS_PLUG]
                > Journalist, eh? Hmmmm...... (evil grin spreads across Justin's
                face...)

              • Milica of Varna
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 7, 2004
                  Ha! Good m'lord,

                  Usurp away. My tenure will be over in January and I can go back to being a
                  simple seneschal and newswire editor. ;-)

                  Seriously, if you have any interest in chroncling, please contact me and I'll
                  answer what questions I can.

                  Milica

                  On Saturday 04 September 2004 19:36, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
                  > Never fear Lady Milica, I would not seek to usurp your interest
                  > in the Chronicler post. I've been a journalist for 35 years and am
                  > not looking for a new job, just to learn more of this mythic realm.
                  >    Good cheer to all.
                  >  -- william of crioch branach

                  THL Milica of Varna
                  Middle Kingdom Chronicler
                  chronicler@...

                • william_of_crioch_branach
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 7, 2004
                    Salutations Lady Milica;
                    Your kind offer does honor to one such as I, so unlearned in the
                    ways of the Dream.
                    Methinks in the months remaining in your tenure my knowledge of
                    SCA ways and wit will grow sufficient to ask the questions you
                    propose.
                    For now I will treasure your kind thoughts on my behalf.
                    -- william of crioch branach

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Milica of Varna <milica@4...>

                    *****************

                    > THL Milica of Varna
                    > Middle Kingdom Chronicler
                    > chronicler@m...

                    *****************
                  • Milica of Varna
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 9, 2004
                      Good m'lord, and know that if I can answer them I gladly will!

                      Hope to meet you soon.

                      Milica

                      On Tuesday 07 September 2004 23:33, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
                      > Salutations Lady Milica;
                      >    Your kind offer does honor to one such as I, so unlearned in the
                      > ways of the Dream.
                      >    Methinks in the months remaining in your tenure my knowledge of
                      > SCA ways and wit will grow sufficient to ask the questions you
                      > propose.
                      >    For now I will treasure your kind thoughts on my behalf.
                      >    -- william of crioch branach

                      THL Milica of Varna
                      Middle Kingdom Chronicler
                      chronicler@...