Re: [SCA Newcomers] intro

  • Susan Farmer
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
      > I'm a sort-of newcomer - I just got back from Pennsic, my first event
      > in 30 years <g>. I'm getting back into SCA because my children (my son
      > particularly) is very interested, and some of our best friends are
      > very deeply involved. Even though technically we're on the northern
      > edge of Cynnabar in the Middle Kingdom (Ann Arbor, Michigan area)
      > we'll probably be playing with the newly forming Canton of Weald Lake
      > because that's where our friends are.

      Welcome back! My hiatus wasn't as long (only 10 years) but one of the
      reasons that I came back was my son -- it's proved to be a very good
      "carrot" in terms of Good Grades. :-)

      > Now, I understand, there is a great fighting household called
      > Morningstar, and after 30+ years the joke is a bit thin - am I stuck
      > with that name or can I change it? And does the award of arms travel
      > with that name, or can I still use it as a different personna?

      I'm given to understand that we have several cases like that in Meridies.
      The award belongs to you. You may have to submit documentation that
      you're you (I don't know that for a fact, I'm guessing .....), but the
      award travels with you.

      > I used Elen (an archaic Welsh form of Ellen) ap Rhys (the Welsh form
      > of my last name, Price) at Pennsic, and was told that just about
      > everybody and his brother with a Welsh personna uses ap Rhys as a last
      > name, and apparently there are some famous fighters that use ap Rhys.
      > Does this mean I can't (or shouldn't) use 'ap Rhys'?

      Heavens no. All that means was your father was named Rhys -- ap is the
      patronymic in Wales. If you register the name, the college of heralds
      may change it to "ferch" which I *think* is the Welch "daughter of"
      I'm sure someone here will know and correct me if I'm wrong.

      > Also - at Pennsic, there was a Newcommer's workshop given on "The Well
      > Dressed Newcomer" by Mistress Arianna Morgan - I wanted to attend,
      > but couldn't make it due to other committments. Does anyone know how I
      > can reach Mistress Arianna to get the handouts from the workshop?

      Have no clue there, but there are lots of good Newcomer Garb sites on
      the web. Do you have a time period of interest or is Elen going to
      be the Garbed Time Traveler (tm) like many of us. There's a lady on
      one of my groups who's sig like is "I'm a child of the '60s -- 1160, 1260,
      1360 ....."

      > lastly, I've been thinking about approaching an old friend who is a
      > Laurel about apprenticing with her. I don't think I have the talent or
      > the skills to become a Laurel, but it seems to me that such an
      > apprenticeship would give me a structure and something to work on at
      > events, since I'm not a fighter. Does this seem like a good idea, or
      > are there implications of such an apprenticeship that I don't know
      > about that could cause problems?

      I have no clue there either. there's a Laurel Household in my area that
      I'd love to be a part of. On the one hand, I don't feel qualified for
      that membership; on the other hand -- what better way to learn!

      Jerusha in Meridies
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
        On Wednesday 01 September 2004 09:26, Susan Farmer wrote:
        > > lastly, I've been thinking about approaching an old friend who is a
        > > Laurel about apprenticing with her. I don't think I have the talent or
        > > the skills to become a Laurel, but it seems to me that such an
        > > apprenticeship would give me a structure and something to work on at
        > > events, since I'm not a fighter. Does this seem like a good idea, or
        > > are there implications of such an apprenticeship that I don't know
        > > about that could cause problems?
        >
        > I have no clue there either.  there's a Laurel Household in my area that
        > I'd love to be a part of.  On the one hand, I don't feel qualified for
        > that membership; on the other hand -- what better way to learn!

        The specifics of a peer/dependent relationship (Laurel/Apprentice, Knight/
        Squire, or Pelican/Protege) are defined by the two individuals on a case-by-
        case basis, within *extremely* broad guidelines set by the kingdom and SCA.
        So the implications of the relationship are basically "whatever the two of
        you agree they should be."

        Bear in mind that you don't have to be in any kind of formal relationship
        in order to learn from an expert in a field. I am a Pelican, and I do not
        currently have any Proteges. But there are a couple of individuals whom I
        am mentoring on an informal basis -- mostly within the Chirurgeonate, where
        I am very active -- without any kind of formal contract. I haven't seen
        any reason why asking someone to be my Protege would increase my ability
        to mentor or their ability to learn. :-)

        If you do decide to enter into a formal apprenticeship with someone, be
        sure that both of you have a clear understanding of your expectations for
        the relationship. I've seen plenty of cases where one party or the other
        ended up disappointed and/or hurt because the relationship wasn't what
        they thought they were agreeing to do. If the Laurel in question is an
        old friend of yours, then you have the advantage of knowing him/her as
        a human being first -- and I would advise anyone thinking of a peer/
        dependent relationship to take that step first.

        My advice to you is to spend some time in introspection, so that you can
        clearly articulate your own goals and what you hope to learn from this
        person. Then sit down one-on-one, in a relaxed and unhurried setting, and
        explain to the Laurel what you are seeking. Be honest about what you want
        in terms of the formality of the relationship -- if you really just want
        informal mentoring, then it's perfectly okay (indeed, advisable) to say
        that right up front. That is exactly what happened with one person who
        approached me -- he specifically said, "I'm not looking to be a protege,
        but I think you could teach me a lot about (topic), and I was wondering
        if you would be willing to be a sounding board when I need advice in that
        area." It was a lot easier for me to agree to this informal arrangement
        than to formally accept a protege, when I really wasn't looking for that
        kind of relationship yet (as a relatively new Pelican).

        There are some peers who prefer to be the inviter rather than the invitee
        for apprentices/squires/proteges. Don't be hurt if the person you approach
        says that they prefer to observe your work/prowess/service over time. I
        don't know anyone in the peerage orders who would be angry that you
        asked, though. At worst, they might simply explain this isn't the way they
        prefer to recruit. And there are quite a few peers who simply choose not
        to take dependents -- it's not a requirement, after all. Or they may feel
        that they already have enough dependents and can't realistically accept
        any more students at the current time. If this turns out to be the case,
        don't take it personally, because it just means the peer is smart enough
        not to over-commit their time and thereby do a bad job of teaching. :-)

        As in so many other situations, honest introspection of your own goals, needs,
        and level of long-term commitment, followed by open and honest communication
        with the other person in the proposed relationship, will serve you well.

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • becca_price
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Susan Farmer <sfarmer@s...> wrote:

          > Do you have a time period of interest or is Elen going to
          > be the Garbed Time Traveler (tm) like many of us. There's a lady on
          > one of my groups who's sig like is "I'm a child of the '60s -- 1160,
          1260,
          > 1360 ....."

          I love that! (my husband says we're both '70s liberals, but I'm a
          1970s liberal and he's a 1770 liberal... <g>)

          The original personna was 9th century Wales, but some fast historical
          research dates the spelling 'Elen' back only to 1561 - to go earlier
          I'd have to go with Elena. I do like early Italian Ren. clothing, but
          the 9th century stuff is easier to make <g>. I'm not sure how a Welsh
          woman would have gotten into Italian styles, but I'm sure I can think
          of something if I decide to go with the 1561 date.

          one advantage to 9th cent. Wales is that I took a course on Celtic
          embroidery at Pennsic, and am now all excited about some of the
          designs and techniques I learned.

          so my answer in brief is... I don't know. I'm still playing with
          ideas, but have a ton of research to do before making any decisions.

          > there's a Laurel Household in my area that
          > I'd love to be a part of. On the one hand, I don't feel qualified for
          > that membership; on the other hand -- what better way to learn!

          which is exactly why I'd consider doing it - it gives a structure for
          learning.

          -becca
          Elen ap Rhys, once also called Morningstar
        • Rick B
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 27 4:57 AM
            hey everyone, just thought i would introduce myself. My name is Rick Baker and Im member of the SCA (Blue card) in the Shire of Sterlyn Vale in New York.
          • Alison Choyce
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 27 11:03 AM
              Hi Rick!

              Welcome! Are new to the SCA, or have you been playing a while?

              Alison Wodehalle
              East Kingdom

              --
              ~Alison

            • Maryelizabeth Hancock
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 27 3:22 PM
                 Welcome to the SCA and to this group - it is a fantastic place to learn the basics and then some.

                Apollonia

                Maryelizabeth Hancock