Re: [SCA Newcomers] New arrival

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2004
      On Monday 30 August 2004 23:15, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
      > I believe I would use a persona from my own family history.

      The catch here is that you can't portray someone who *actually* lived --
      you need to pick the persona of someone who *could* have lived during your
      chosen time period and locality of study. If you want to use your own
      family tree as a basis, that's fine, but you need to invent a fictional
      leaf on that tree.

      I'm envious if you can trace your ancestry enough to be able to do this.
      My own family tree isn't known very far back. I am told that I have French,
      English, Irish, Dutch, German, and a tiny bit of Polish blood -- not enough
      of any one country to be able to consider myself to have any real ethnic
      background. I've always been rather saddened by that.

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • william_of_crioch_branach
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1 3:52 PM
        My Lord Tekton;
        My thanks to thee for thy gracious enlightenment.
        Indeed my persona of William of Crioch Branach is a blend of actual
        ancestors and a bit of fiction on my part.

        In ancient Ireland (Erin), Crioch Branach was the mountain regin
        stronghold of the Clan O'Byrne occupying modern day County Wicklow,
        south of Dublin.

        william is a scribe which corresponds to my modern-day occupation of
        journalist in Kankakee, Illinois. His character also reflects the
        colorful period of Crioch Branach in the 15th Century.

        In service to a newfound friend.

        --william
      • Tina
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2 6:01 PM
          <justin@4...> wrote:

          > My own family tree isn't known very far back. I am told that I have
          French, English, Irish, Dutch, German, and a tiny bit of Polish
          blood -- not enough of any one country to be able to consider myself
          to have any real ethnic background. I've always been rather saddened
          by that.

          Justin, throw in a little Native American and we might be related!

          I know what you mean. My family tree is more of a briar patch with so
          many loose ends there's no hope of tracing it back to anything other
          than a grandmother who was definitely Cherokee. Which is a bit sad
          but at the same time gives me a wide range of cultures to chose from
          and still be authentic to my heritage (muddy though it is).

          Tina
        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2 6:40 PM
            On Thursday 02 September 2004 21:01, Tina wrote:
            > I know what you mean. My family tree is more of a briar patch with so
            > many loose ends there's no hope of tracing it back to anything other
            > than a grandmother who was definitely Cherokee.

            I have been known to jest that "My ancestors were kicked out of every
            civilized country in Europe!"

            > Which is a bit sad
            > but at the same time gives me a wide range of cultures to chose from
            > and still be authentic to my heritage (muddy though it is).

            Or you can do what I did -- pick "none of the above" as a culture. I've
            got all those different flavors of heritage in my background, but chose
            to do Byzantine persona in the SCA just because I find it interesting.

            Go figure. :-)

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2 7:39 PM
              <justin@4...> wrote:

              > I have been known to jest that "My ancestors were kicked out of
              every civilized country in Europe!"

              LOL! Now I'm really wondering if we're related. Your family isn't
              from Kentucky are they? ;)

              > Or you can do what I did -- pick "none of the above" as a culture.
              I've got all those different flavors of heritage in my background,
              but chose to do Byzantine persona in the SCA just because I find it
              interesting.

              True and Byzantine would be interesting. I've been studying Egypt for
              some writing that I'm doing and had considered creating a persona
              from that part of the world...though I'm still trying to learn more
              about everyday life.

              Just found a great site you might have visited:
              http://members.tripod.com/BlackTauna/byzantine.html

              I've bookmarked it, it's going to take some time to go through all
              the different links she has listed.

              Tina
            • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 3 5:35 AM
                On Wednesday 01 September 2004 18:52, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
                > My Lord Tekton;

                Actually, I'm "Justin". Tekton is my surname. (No offense taken.)

                > My thanks to thee for thy gracious enlightenment.

                It is my pleasure to help newcomers, hence my reason for being on the
                list. This is one of my very favorite things to do in the SCA! :-)

                > Indeed my persona of William of Crioch Branach is a blend of actual
                > ancestors and a bit of fiction on my part.
                >
                > In ancient Ireland (Erin), Crioch Branach was the mountain regin
                > stronghold of the Clan O'Byrne occupying modern day County Wicklow,
                > south of Dublin.
                >
                > william is a scribe which corresponds to my modern-day occupation of
                > journalist in Kankakee, Illinois. His character also reflects the
                > colorful period of Crioch Branach in the 15th Century.

                Excellent! You have a WONDERFUL beginning of a persona, and many people
                who have been in the SCA for a year or even more don't have that much
                detail yet. You have a fine starting point for your research. Have fun!

                > In service to a newfound friend.

                I'm honored that you feel that way. Pray tell, where is your homeland in
                the modern world?

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 3 5:44 AM
                  On Wednesday 01 September 2004 18:52, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
                  > william is a scribe which corresponds to my modern-day occupation of
                  > journalist in Kankakee, Illinois.

                  [SHAMELESS_PLUG]
                  Journalist, eh? Hmmmm...... (evil grin spreads across Justin's face...)

                  At some point, you might want to go have a look at http://scatoday.net/ .
                  This is a non-commercial, volunteer-run news portal for medievalists,
                  most especially the SCA. We're always looking for volunteer reporters and
                  editors to contribute news about the Current Middle Ages as well as notes
                  of historical interest, such as major museum special exhibits or significant
                  archaeological discoveries. Should you ever get bored, please consider
                  sending an email to editor@... or publisher@... and let
                  us find you something to do. {BIG GRIN}

                  SCAtoday.net is completely unofficial and is not an SCA corporate publication.
                  [/SHAMELESS_PLUG]

                  And while I was typing this, my wife Milica, who is the Editor-In-Chief of
                  SCAtoday.net (I am the Publisher and Webmaster) just walked into the room.
                  She also happens to be the Chronicler of the Middle Kingdom (the office of
                  Chronicler is the person who produces local, baronial, or Kingdom newsletters).
                  Her beady little eyes lit up when I mentioned what I was writing, and she
                  said, "Hmmm....maybe he'd like to be a Chronicler!"

                  But Milica is on this list also, so I will let her issue her own shameless
                  plug for that office. ;-) Hey Milica, here's your segue: "Gee, Milica, I
                  wonder how many newcomers aren't aware of what a Chronicler does? Perhaps
                  you should explain the office's role." Bwahahahaha! (Pssst....Milica
                  got zapped with the Order of the Dragon's Heart, a service award, at Pennsic
                  this year.)

                  My good lord William, I suspect you will find your skills to be in great
                  demand in the SCA, should you wish to apply them. Welcome indeed!

                  keys fesswise reversed sable.

                • Milica of Varna
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 3 7:39 AM
                    Justin is shameless! But, yes, I would encourage anyone who enjoys writing to
                    consider either serving as your group's chronicler or contributing articles
                    to the group's newsletter. Far too few people take on this valuable work.

                    What does a chonicler do? The office of Chronicler produces a group's
                    newsletter, the purpose of which is to keep members informaed about the
                    activities of the group, educated on issues of interest to the membership and
                    entertained. A newsletter can be one sheet of paper or it can be many pages.
                    It all depends on the needs of the group - and quite frankly the group's
                    ability to pay for printing and postage. This is an extremely valuable
                    service since it bears the responsibility of keeping members informed. I
                    would highly recommend that anyone with an interest in writing to get
                    involved in this way. It's useful, it's appreciated, and most important, it's
                    fun!

                    Milica

                    On Friday 03 September 2004 08:44, Iustinos Tekton called Justin wrote:
                    > But Milica is on this list also, so I will let her issue her own shameless
                    > plug for that office. ;-)  Hey Milica, here's your segue:  "Gee, Milica, I
                    > wonder how many newcomers aren't aware of what a Chronicler does?

                    THL Milica of Varna
                    Middle Kingdom Chronicler
                    chronicler@...

                  • william_of_crioch_branach
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 4 4:36 PM
                      Noble Friend Justin:
                      Forsake thy "evil grin" for a kind thought can ne'er be deemed
                      sinister.
                      My knowledge of the SCA and Midrealm is at this time slight and
                      therefore I would doubt being of my use in any "official" role.
                      I would however be interested in helping and learning more about
                      the role of Chronicler and in what why I might assist SCAtoday.net.
                      At some point when my knowledge of this realm suffices, I would be
                      willing to consider a Chronicler role.
                      Never fear Lady Milica, I would not seek to usurp your interest
                      in the Chronicler post. I've been a journalist for 35 years and am
                      not looking for a new job, just to learn more of this mythic realm.
                      Good cheer to all.
                      -- william of crioch branach

                      <justin@4...> wrote:
                      > On Wednesday 01 September 2004 18:52, william_of_crioch_branach
                      wrote:
                      > > william is a scribe which corresponds to my modern-day
                      occupation of
                      > > journalist in Kankakee, Illinois.
                      >
                      > [SHAMELESS_PLUG]
                      > Journalist, eh? Hmmmm...... (evil grin spreads across Justin's
                      face...)

                    • Milica of Varna
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 7 7:06 AM
                        Ha! Good m'lord,

                        Usurp away. My tenure will be over in January and I can go back to being a
                        simple seneschal and newswire editor. ;-)

                        Seriously, if you have any interest in chroncling, please contact me and I'll
                        answer what questions I can.

                        Milica

                        On Saturday 04 September 2004 19:36, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
                        > Never fear Lady Milica, I would not seek to usurp your interest
                        > in the Chronicler post. I've been a journalist for 35 years and am
                        > not looking for a new job, just to learn more of this mythic realm.
                        >    Good cheer to all.
                        >  -- william of crioch branach

                        THL Milica of Varna
                        Middle Kingdom Chronicler
                        chronicler@...

                      • william_of_crioch_branach
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 7 8:33 PM
                          Salutations Lady Milica;
                          Your kind offer does honor to one such as I, so unlearned in the
                          ways of the Dream.
                          Methinks in the months remaining in your tenure my knowledge of
                          SCA ways and wit will grow sufficient to ask the questions you
                          propose.
                          For now I will treasure your kind thoughts on my behalf.
                          -- william of crioch branach

                          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Milica of Varna <milica@4...>

                          *****************

                          > THL Milica of Varna
                          > Middle Kingdom Chronicler
                          > chronicler@m...

                          *****************
                        • Milica of Varna
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 9 4:57 PM
                            Good m'lord, and know that if I can answer them I gladly will!

                            Hope to meet you soon.

                            Milica

                            On Tuesday 07 September 2004 23:33, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
                            > Salutations Lady Milica;
                            >    Your kind offer does honor to one such as I, so unlearned in the
                            > ways of the Dream.
                            >    Methinks in the months remaining in your tenure my knowledge of
                            > SCA ways and wit will grow sufficient to ask the questions you
                            > propose.
                            >    For now I will treasure your kind thoughts on my behalf.
                            >    -- william of crioch branach

                            THL Milica of Varna
                            Middle Kingdom Chronicler
                            chronicler@...