New arrival

  • william_of_crioch_branach
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 30, 2004
      My lords and ladies of this realm, greetings.

      I am a new arrival to the modern Middle Ages and hope to partake of
      your wisdom to learn more of this intriguing land. I seek to learn
      sone of the lore here before committing myself to joining SCA.

      I believe I would use a persona from my own family history. The
      family actually has a heraldic coat of arms -- would that be
      allowable in SCA?

      It would seem that if I join SCA, I would be living in the Middle
      Realm in the The Shire of Wurm Wald. Unfortunately the closest group
      appears to be located on a university campus at Champaign, Il.
      roughly 75 miles south and several decades removed from my abode.

      I will be reading the messages here with the greatest of interest.

      --- William of Crioch Branach, an exile of Erin
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 31, 2004
        On Monday 30 August 2004 23:15, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
        > I believe I would use a persona from my own family history.

        The catch here is that you can't portray someone who *actually* lived --
        you need to pick the persona of someone who *could* have lived during your
        chosen time period and locality of study. If you want to use your own
        family tree as a basis, that's fine, but you need to invent a fictional
        leaf on that tree.

        I'm envious if you can trace your ancestry enough to be able to do this.
        My own family tree isn't known very far back. I am told that I have French,
        English, Irish, Dutch, German, and a tiny bit of Polish blood -- not enough
        of any one country to be able to consider myself to have any real ethnic
        background. I've always been rather saddened by that.

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • william_of_crioch_branach
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
          My Lord Tekton;
          My thanks to thee for thy gracious enlightenment.
          Indeed my persona of William of Crioch Branach is a blend of actual
          ancestors and a bit of fiction on my part.

          In ancient Ireland (Erin), Crioch Branach was the mountain regin
          stronghold of the Clan O'Byrne occupying modern day County Wicklow,
          south of Dublin.

          william is a scribe which corresponds to my modern-day occupation of
          journalist in Kankakee, Illinois. His character also reflects the
          colorful period of Crioch Branach in the 15th Century.

          In service to a newfound friend.

          --william
        • Tina
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
            <justin@4...> wrote:

            > My own family tree isn't known very far back. I am told that I have
            French, English, Irish, Dutch, German, and a tiny bit of Polish
            blood -- not enough of any one country to be able to consider myself
            to have any real ethnic background. I've always been rather saddened
            by that.

            Justin, throw in a little Native American and we might be related!

            I know what you mean. My family tree is more of a briar patch with so
            many loose ends there's no hope of tracing it back to anything other
            than a grandmother who was definitely Cherokee. Which is a bit sad
            but at the same time gives me a wide range of cultures to chose from
            and still be authentic to my heritage (muddy though it is).

            Tina
          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
              On Thursday 02 September 2004 21:01, Tina wrote:
              > I know what you mean. My family tree is more of a briar patch with so
              > many loose ends there's no hope of tracing it back to anything other
              > than a grandmother who was definitely Cherokee.

              I have been known to jest that "My ancestors were kicked out of every
              civilized country in Europe!"

              > Which is a bit sad
              > but at the same time gives me a wide range of cultures to chose from
              > and still be authentic to my heritage (muddy though it is).

              Or you can do what I did -- pick "none of the above" as a culture. I've
              got all those different flavors of heritage in my background, but chose
              to do Byzantine persona in the SCA just because I find it interesting.

              Go figure. :-)

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
                <justin@4...> wrote:

                > I have been known to jest that "My ancestors were kicked out of
                every civilized country in Europe!"

                LOL! Now I'm really wondering if we're related. Your family isn't
                from Kentucky are they? ;)

                > Or you can do what I did -- pick "none of the above" as a culture.
                I've got all those different flavors of heritage in my background,
                but chose to do Byzantine persona in the SCA just because I find it
                interesting.

                True and Byzantine would be interesting. I've been studying Egypt for
                some writing that I'm doing and had considered creating a persona
                from that part of the world...though I'm still trying to learn more
                about everyday life.

                Just found a great site you might have visited:
                http://members.tripod.com/BlackTauna/byzantine.html

                I've bookmarked it, it's going to take some time to go through all
                the different links she has listed.

                Tina
              • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
                  On Wednesday 01 September 2004 18:52, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
                  > My Lord Tekton;

                  Actually, I'm "Justin". Tekton is my surname. (No offense taken.)

                  > My thanks to thee for thy gracious enlightenment.

                  It is my pleasure to help newcomers, hence my reason for being on the
                  list. This is one of my very favorite things to do in the SCA! :-)

                  > Indeed my persona of William of Crioch Branach is a blend of actual
                  > ancestors and a bit of fiction on my part.
                  >
                  > In ancient Ireland (Erin), Crioch Branach was the mountain regin
                  > stronghold of the Clan O'Byrne occupying modern day County Wicklow,
                  > south of Dublin.
                  >
                  > william is a scribe which corresponds to my modern-day occupation of
                  > journalist in Kankakee, Illinois. His character also reflects the
                  > colorful period of Crioch Branach in the 15th Century.

                  Excellent! You have a WONDERFUL beginning of a persona, and many people
                  who have been in the SCA for a year or even more don't have that much
                  detail yet. You have a fine starting point for your research. Have fun!

                  > In service to a newfound friend.

                  I'm honored that you feel that way. Pray tell, where is your homeland in
                  the modern world?

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
                    On Wednesday 01 September 2004 18:52, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
                    > william is a scribe which corresponds to my modern-day occupation of
                    > journalist in Kankakee, Illinois.

                    [SHAMELESS_PLUG]
                    Journalist, eh? Hmmmm...... (evil grin spreads across Justin's face...)

                    At some point, you might want to go have a look at http://scatoday.net/ .
                    This is a non-commercial, volunteer-run news portal for medievalists,
                    most especially the SCA. We're always looking for volunteer reporters and
                    editors to contribute news about the Current Middle Ages as well as notes
                    of historical interest, such as major museum special exhibits or significant
                    archaeological discoveries. Should you ever get bored, please consider
                    sending an email to editor@... or publisher@... and let
                    us find you something to do. {BIG GRIN}

                    SCAtoday.net is completely unofficial and is not an SCA corporate publication.
                    [/SHAMELESS_PLUG]

                    And while I was typing this, my wife Milica, who is the Editor-In-Chief of
                    SCAtoday.net (I am the Publisher and Webmaster) just walked into the room.
                    She also happens to be the Chronicler of the Middle Kingdom (the office of
                    Chronicler is the person who produces local, baronial, or Kingdom newsletters).
                    Her beady little eyes lit up when I mentioned what I was writing, and she
                    said, "Hmmm....maybe he'd like to be a Chronicler!"

                    But Milica is on this list also, so I will let her issue her own shameless
                    plug for that office. ;-) Hey Milica, here's your segue: "Gee, Milica, I
                    wonder how many newcomers aren't aware of what a Chronicler does? Perhaps
                    you should explain the office's role." Bwahahahaha! (Pssst....Milica
                    got zapped with the Order of the Dragon's Heart, a service award, at Pennsic
                    this year.)

                    My good lord William, I suspect you will find your skills to be in great
                    demand in the SCA, should you wish to apply them. Welcome indeed!

                    keys fesswise reversed sable.

                  • Milica of Varna
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
                      Justin is shameless! But, yes, I would encourage anyone who enjoys writing to
                      consider either serving as your group's chronicler or contributing articles
                      to the group's newsletter. Far too few people take on this valuable work.

                      What does a chonicler do? The office of Chronicler produces a group's
                      newsletter, the purpose of which is to keep members informaed about the
                      activities of the group, educated on issues of interest to the membership and
                      entertained. A newsletter can be one sheet of paper or it can be many pages.
                      It all depends on the needs of the group - and quite frankly the group's
                      ability to pay for printing and postage. This is an extremely valuable
                      service since it bears the responsibility of keeping members informed. I
                      would highly recommend that anyone with an interest in writing to get
                      involved in this way. It's useful, it's appreciated, and most important, it's
                      fun!

                      Milica

                      On Friday 03 September 2004 08:44, Iustinos Tekton called Justin wrote:
                      > But Milica is on this list also, so I will let her issue her own shameless
                      > plug for that office. ;-)  Hey Milica, here's your segue:  "Gee, Milica, I
                      > wonder how many newcomers aren't aware of what a Chronicler does?

                      THL Milica of Varna
                      Middle Kingdom Chronicler
                      chronicler@...

                    • william_of_crioch_branach
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 4, 2004
                        Noble Friend Justin:
                        Forsake thy "evil grin" for a kind thought can ne'er be deemed
                        sinister.
                        My knowledge of the SCA and Midrealm is at this time slight and
                        therefore I would doubt being of my use in any "official" role.
                        I would however be interested in helping and learning more about
                        the role of Chronicler and in what why I might assist SCAtoday.net.
                        At some point when my knowledge of this realm suffices, I would be
                        willing to consider a Chronicler role.
                        Never fear Lady Milica, I would not seek to usurp your interest
                        in the Chronicler post. I've been a journalist for 35 years and am
                        not looking for a new job, just to learn more of this mythic realm.
                        Good cheer to all.
                        -- william of crioch branach

                        <justin@4...> wrote:
                        > On Wednesday 01 September 2004 18:52, william_of_crioch_branach
                        wrote:
                        > > william is a scribe which corresponds to my modern-day
                        occupation of
                        > > journalist in Kankakee, Illinois.
                        >
                        > [SHAMELESS_PLUG]
                        > Journalist, eh? Hmmmm...... (evil grin spreads across Justin's
                        face...)

                      • Milica of Varna
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 7, 2004
                          Ha! Good m'lord,

                          Usurp away. My tenure will be over in January and I can go back to being a
                          simple seneschal and newswire editor. ;-)

                          Seriously, if you have any interest in chroncling, please contact me and I'll
                          answer what questions I can.

                          Milica

                          On Saturday 04 September 2004 19:36, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
                          > Never fear Lady Milica, I would not seek to usurp your interest
                          > in the Chronicler post. I've been a journalist for 35 years and am
                          > not looking for a new job, just to learn more of this mythic realm.
                          >    Good cheer to all.
                          >  -- william of crioch branach

                          THL Milica of Varna
                          Middle Kingdom Chronicler
                          chronicler@...

                        • william_of_crioch_branach
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 7, 2004
                            Salutations Lady Milica;
                            Your kind offer does honor to one such as I, so unlearned in the
                            ways of the Dream.
                            Methinks in the months remaining in your tenure my knowledge of
                            SCA ways and wit will grow sufficient to ask the questions you
                            propose.
                            For now I will treasure your kind thoughts on my behalf.
                            -- william of crioch branach

                            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Milica of Varna <milica@4...>

                            *****************

                            > THL Milica of Varna
                            > Middle Kingdom Chronicler
                            > chronicler@m...

                            *****************
                          • Milica of Varna
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 9, 2004
                              Good m'lord, and know that if I can answer them I gladly will!

                              Hope to meet you soon.

                              Milica

                              On Tuesday 07 September 2004 23:33, william_of_crioch_branach wrote:
                              > Salutations Lady Milica;
                              >    Your kind offer does honor to one such as I, so unlearned in the
                              > ways of the Dream.
                              >    Methinks in the months remaining in your tenure my knowledge of
                              > SCA ways and wit will grow sufficient to ask the questions you
                              > propose.
                              >    For now I will treasure your kind thoughts on my behalf.
                              >    -- william of crioch branach

                              THL Milica of Varna
                              Middle Kingdom Chronicler
                              chronicler@...