Thank you and Personna name question

  • costumesbycrys@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 24, 2004
      First thank you to all that posted info on tents. I am still looking
      I am doing research on my personna name for Norwegian either 11th
      Century or 16th Cenutury. Original choice was Topaz Teadottir Meyer.
      After researching this week, I discovered that Teadottir translation
      means "Daughter of Tea" which was fine until I discovered the
      underlying meaning was that the father not only wasn't present but
      wasn't known. Didn't really want that in my personna's history so
      dropped it.
      So on to topaz. Found it could be Greek and/or Italian surname.
      That doesn't work except that I found a reference to a Runes stone in
      Norway with the surname of grikkfara which translates to "traveler to
      Greece" So it would work as possibly with Topaz Larsgrikkfaradottir.
      quite a mouthful. Oops discover there is no "z" in the Norwegian
      alphabet so topaz becomes topas. So I keep searching and discover
      that Chaucer's Cantebury Tales has "The Tale of Sir Topas" . Hmm now
      how do I get the jump from 13th Century England to Norway? And get the
      surname to a given name? Can anyone point me in the directions of some
      good name sources for documentation?

      Thanks in advance,
      Topas