Myth Or Truth?

  • Kate Jamerson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2004
      Hello Everyone, I'm trying to come back into the SCA. I was getting
      into it out in CAlifornia where I lived, but when I moved out here to
      Virgina to marry, I fell out lol. I miss it though! Great people! :)
      I am now in two groups and I will ask you both. My husband and I are
      getting into it together, I saw a post "Husband and wife personas"
      that was helpful :) So, our personas, will probably be 900-1200, as
      for names, we have no clue. We have our nicknames, but mine, Eriu, I
      go by, by the way. (I know I cannot use that name in SCA.) What I
      want to know what is Myth or truth, is bodices/corsests? I mean I see
      them on the sites, but are they really period? Or only on
      ahem, "servicing ladies"? My husband and I want to be sort of
      erm...middle class. I know Rennisance Faires, almost anything goes,
      SCA is more historically correct. Okay, until I can learn to sew, I
      may have to buy my garb. I really am having trouble finding what garb
      is "Appropriate" to a middle-class woman in that era I mentioned. My
      husband, will be a piece of cake for me. I dont' want Elizabethan, or
      Tudor, or big bulky dresses. I like simple anyway. At the website, By
      the Sword, I look at a dress called "The Pleasant Peasant" that would
      not be middle-class but I'm thinking it may do for my "first" garb.
      Any hints, helpful advice, websites, ideas, would be appreciated. Man
      I feel stupid. Any links that look good to help me, are dead links!
      AHH! May the Sun Sine on Your Path Under The Sky...

      -Eriu, The Confused One. O.o
    • Susan Farmer
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 25, 2004
        > Hello Everyone, I'm trying to come back into the SCA. I was getting
        > into it out in CAlifornia where I lived, but when I moved out here to
        > Virgina to marry, I fell out lol. I miss it though! Great people! :)
        > I am now in two groups and I will ask you both. My husband and I are
        > getting into it together, I saw a post "Husband and wife personas"
        > that was helpful :) So, our personas, will probably be 900-1200, as
        > for names, we have no clue. We have our nicknames, but mine, Eriu, I
        > go by, by the way. (I know I cannot use that name in SCA.) What I
        > want to know what is Myth or truth, is bodices/corsests? I mean I see
        > them on the sites, but are they really period?

        Ren Wench bodices aren't "period" for any of the SCA periods. It's
        strictly RenFaire Wear. At the time period that you indicate,
        there isn't even a waist seam -- it's all tunics.

        Corsets are period for later period garb -- ~1500 and on -- but not
        the RenWench TOAP bodice -- at least that's my understanding.

        Jerusha