Newbie questions

  • HARKINS
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 19, 2004
      This question is about persona.... If I have a name
      that I like that is not exactly historical, but sounds
      historical, is that alright, or should I go with a
      purely historical name.
      thanks
    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 19, 2004
        That's a depends...

        IF you want to register your name with the SCA, the name has to be
        documentable. In other words it has to ba a plausable name in it's
        construction and with the name elements.

        If you just want a name, then you can use what you like. I know a
        guy that goes with "the slightly Demented" as a surname. Definetly
        not historically accurate... Just remember that if in the future you
        want a registied name and want to use it, it may be hard to break
        your friend from using the old name.

        William

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, HARKINS <shark75080@s...> wrote:
        > This question is about persona.... If I have a name
        > that I like that is not exactly historical, but sounds
        > historical, is that alright, or should I go with a
        > purely historical name.
        > thanks
      • Her Scientistness, Research Goddess
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 20, 2004
          > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, HARKINS <shark75080@s...>
          wrote:
          > > This question is about persona.... If I have a name
          > > that I like that is not exactly historical, but sounds
          > > historical, is that alright, or should I go with a
          > > purely historical name.
          > > thanks

          I'd recommend talking to the heralds. Often, they can help you find
          something that's similar to what you really like (in meaning, sound,
          or language, depending on what's important to you) that is plausible
          and can be documented, so you can use something now that's
          historical, and then you don't have to worry if you want to register
          it later (and, don't forget, you have to have a registerable name to
          register any devices or badges or other heraldry)

          --Beatrice
          An Tir
        • amazonalys
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 25, 2004
            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Her Scientistness, Research
            Goddess" <signorabeatrice@y...> wrote:

            > > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, HARKINS <shark75080@s...>
            > wrote:
            > > > This question is about persona.... If I have a name
            > > > that I like that is not exactly historical, but sounds
            > > > historical, is that alright, or should I go with a
            > > > purely historical name.
            > > > thanks

            If you never want to register the name, call yourself whatever you
            wish. If, however, you want to register your name, it needs to be
            documentable. There are many fine name sources on-line. Just do a
            yahoo search for "medieval names" and you should find some. You can
            also browse thru the Academy of St. Gabriel records. You might even
            search their records to see if they have researched the name you
            like. You might get lucky. I did!

            Lilion atta Sartes
          • ElleD
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
              Good Morn to All,

              I am new to the SCA and jumping right into the pool with plans to attend my first Pennsic War this summer. A few first-timer questions:

              1. Does one normally show up in garb, or do people usually unpack, set up tent, etc. in mundane wear and then change?

              2. If Land Grab is the first Saturday, then I shouldn't show up before Sunday, right?

              3. My persona is late period Scottish Tudor. I'm working on my garb now. I'd like to use lightweight wool for the dress and linen for the chemise, but I'm worried that will be too hot. On the other hand, I've heard the nights can be chilly. Can anyone who has attended regularly tell me what range of temperatures to expect, what temperature is most prevalent, and whether he or she would wear lightweight wool at Pennsic? I could have the entire outfit made out of linen and use a wool shawl in the evenings, though that won't look as Scottish.

              4. I haven't registered my name yet. Is that a necessity?

              5. My husband uses a CPAP machine at night for sleep apnea. I assume we would need to buy a marine battery to run it. He also likes a small fan running at night as white noise. Will these sounds bother our neighbors?

              6. I live in a quiet part of the KIngdom of Meridies, not close to even a shire. Is it OK to call myself a subject of the closest barony (South Downs, in my case)?

              7. What is the procedure for the Opening Ceremonies? Does one have to be invited to participate?

              Thank you for your patience with all these questions. As I mentioned, I don't live close to any active group in the SCA to attend meetings regularly, and so feel somewhat isolated.

              Liz/Elspeth Elphinstone of DunRobin
            • Justinos Tekton
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
                On Apr 11, 2013, at 11:04 , "ElleD" <elledreaming@...> wrote:

                > 5. My husband uses a CPAP machine at night for sleep apnea. I assume we would need to buy a marine battery to run it. He also likes a small fan running at night as white noise. Will these sounds bother our neighbors?

                Taking off my SCA hat and temporarily putting on my modern-world electrical engineer hat... :-)

                Get a "deep cycle discharge" battery (marine or otherwise). These are specially designed to be run all the way down and then recharged, something that can shorten the life of an ordinary lead-acid battery. If you think about your car, for example, the alternator keeps your battery fully charged almost all the time. The stored energy is used only for starting the car or for when running accessories and lights with the ignition off, usually briefly.

                As for the noise, most of the time this sort of thing won't bother anyone, but I have two suggestion:

                1. As you are picking a spot to set up at a camping event, ask your prospective neighbors about this situation. Very likely, they will say it's no problem at all and they'll be appreciative of your extra courtesy. In the rare case, for example someone who is an extremely light sleeper, you'll avert a possible situation when there is still plenty of time to pick another spot for your tent.

                2. Simply don't put your tent too close to someone else's tent, if there is enough room to do otherwise. Pick a spot where you are at the edge of the camping area, so that you're bordered on one side by trees or similar boundaries. Pennsic camping is much more crowded than most other events.

                All of this being said, you really are not likely to have a problem with the CPAP. Lots of people need them and bring them to events.

                Kind regards and welcome,

                Justin
              • brangwayna
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
                  1. Show up in mundanes, with a sun hat and sunscreen and plenty of water. Get a shower and tehn change.

                  2. Technically I believe you can show up any time after noon on Land Grab Saturday. But it's busy, noisy, and hectic as hell, and depending on how big/organized your camp is, they may not have everything marked out and know where to set you up yet. Waiting for Sunday is a good idea.

                  3. Pennsic temperatures. Hah ha ha. No kidding. It can be anywhere from the low 40's at night to well over 100 during the day. In the same week. Occasionally in the same day. If we get some days of cool and rain (say 60 degrees and raining for 3 days) you are going to want heavy wool, not just light wool. There is no inside to go to to warm up. One year when my husband was on staff I didn't take anything other than shorts and t-shirts for the days before Land Grab. I ended up putting on one of my wool gowns over them - and it wasn't even raining, just cool and windy. LAYERS. Bring the linen, bring the light wool, bring the heavy wool. Chances are you'll need all of it at least once. My husband routinely wears light wool during Pennsic. Most of the time I can't and I stick to two layers of linen, or ditch the chemise and wear one layer of linen if it's really hot.

                  4. Not with the SCA, Inc. You never have to register a name with them if you don't want to.

                  5. Justin already gave you a better answer than I could.

                  6. Nah, not really, unless you play with them on a regular basis. Baronies and shires and stuff have specific land (designated by zip codes) that belong to them. Just tell people you are from a very rural part of Meridies.

                  7. Anybody can go to watch opening ceremonies. Specific people have roles in opening ceremonies and those are set up well in advance.

                  Lancaster, PA

[...]

                • Roary Aka Alric Berard
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 12, 2013
                    1. I have never known anyone to arrive at Pennsic dressed but once checked in and on site it is you personal preference. I know people the 1st thing they once they get to camp is change into grab. I personal don't change into garb while I am setting up camp its a comfort thing for me (easier to work in a t-shirt and shorts) and I don't want to damage any on my garb.

                    5. Don't forget to register with disability services so that you can have a plug reserved to recharged your battery for your CPAP machine. Its a free service you just need to register with disability services.

                    Roary

                    "Sell a country! Why not sell the air, the great sea, as well as the earth? Didn't the Great Spirit make them all for the use of his children?"
                    Tecumseh (Shawnee)

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 13, 2013
                      Liz/Elspeth Elphinstone of DunRobin asked various questions. Since most have been answered, I thought I'd add just a bit more to a few of them.
                      <<< 3. My persona is late period Scottish Tudor. I'm working on my garb now. I'd like to use lightweight wool for the dress and linen for the chemise, but I'm worried that will be too hot. On the other hand, I've heard the nights can be chilly. Can anyone who has attended regularly tell me what range of temperatures to expect, what temperature is most prevalent, and whether he or she would wear lightweight wool at Pennsic? I could have the entire outfit made out of linen and use a wool shawl in the evenings, though that won't look as Scottish. >>>

                      You might wish to check various files in the PENNSIC section of my Florilegium files. You can find the address in my signature line below.

                      There are some files on Scottish clothing in the CLOTHING section. If you are staying for more than a few days, count on multiple changes of clothes. As others have mentioned, working with layers lets you add more or less layers as needed. You have enough time, so I would highly recommend looking into a cloak. You will want it if Pennsic turns out as cool at night as it sometimes is.
                      cloaks-msg (64K) 5/ 6/12 Cloaks, cloak pins and clasps.
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/cloaks-msg.html

                      If you have the money, you can also buy more clothing from the Pennsic venders once you get there. There is a huge market place of SCA and medieval items. You want to have some money just for that. There has been a running joke for years about how well you could outfit yourself if you simply showed up with money.

                      Perhaps getting a little dated now, but a good general guide:
                      BPThingie-art (38K) 9/30/94 Bart's Pennsic guidebook w. Estrella addm.
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/BPThingie-art.html

                      What-s-Pensic-art (8K) 11/13/11 "What is Pennsic?" by THLady Hrefna
                      Ulfvarinnsdottir.
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/What-s-Pensic-art.html

                      Pennsic-101-art (8K) 8/17/03 An article for those new to Pennsic
                      by Culaan.
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Pennsic-101-art.html

                      P-Thngs-To-Do-art (8K) 11/20/11 “Things To Do At Pennsic” by Lady Katharine
                      of Caithness.
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/P-Thngs-To-Do-art.html

                      New-2-Pennsic-msg (56K) 7/15/11 Information for those new to Pennsic.
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/New-2-Pennsic-msg.html

                      Pennsic-Prep-art (12K) 8/22/02 "A Newcomer's Guide for Pre-Pennsic Prep"
                      by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Pennsic-Prep-art.html

                      Pennsic-water-msg (16K) 2/25/12 Dealing with the Pennsic drinking water.
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Pennsic-water-msg.html

                      5. My husband uses a CPAP machine at night for sleep apnea. I assume we would need to buy a marine battery to run it. He also likes a small fan running at night as white noise. Will these sounds bother our neighbors?

                      See this file, also in the PENNSIC section. The author has updated it, but I don't have it online yet. In the meantime this will give you a start.
                      CPAP-a-Pensic-art (12K) 7/13/11 "CPAP at Pennsic" by Master Philip the Pilgrim
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/CPAP-a-Pensic-art.html

                      6. I live in a quiet part of the KIngdom of Meridies, not close to even a shire. Is it OK to call myself a subject of the closest barony (South Downs, in my case)?

                      You can call yourself anything you want, except a title reserved for someone with a particular award. :-)

                      You don't have to camp with the group that is closest to you. Many people, including myself, tend to camp with their household which might not even be associated with your home kingdom. It really is best to camp with a group, but there are a few areas set aside for individuals who attend Pennsic and don't have a group to camp with. When you register for Pennsic, particularly if you are camping with a specific group, you will want to indicate that on your registration. Space is tight at Pennsic and each group is only allowed approximately 225(?) feet per person. So a group you are camping with will want you registered to get that land.

                      Perhaps this file might be of interest, although it is more about how kingdoms handle spread out groups rather than being about Pennsic.
                      sprd-out-grps-msg (12K) 5/ 3/10 Handling SCA groups spread over a large area
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/sprd-out-grps-msg.html

                      <<< Thank you for your patience with all these questions. As I mentioned, I don't live close to any active group in the SCA to attend meetings regularly, and so feel somewhat isolated. >>>

                      You might also wish to look through the NEWCOMERS section. I'd be happy to suggest some other files or areas if I knew a bit more about what you are interested in. Please feel to email me for some suggestions.

                      Also, even if you've been camping before, you might want to look through the SCA-CAMPING section.

                      Stefan
                      (Some folks' idea of camping involves a backpack. Mine involves a U-haul Truck)

                      'cause mine involves a 17 x 17 ft pavilion, a four-poster bed, a table, chairs...

                      --------
                      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris