Re: [SCA Newcomers] Husband and Wife Personas

  • Tirloch O'Riordain
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 12, 2004
      CleKHD@... wrote:

      > Do most spouses have persona's from the same country and time period
      > or do
      > many people mix them up. My wife wants to do a Swedish persona post
      > viking
      > (because she can speak Swedish) whereas I am more interested in
      > English/Scottish
      > 1000-1300 time period. We are just getting started and have yet to go
      > to our
      > first event, just thought maybe we should at least come up with
      > names. Any
      > thoughts would be appreciated.
      >
      > Thank You
      >
      > Kevin

      Greetings,

      This type of thing is completely up to the people involved. There are
      many married couples, who met in the SCA, and therefore had established
      personas long before they were married. For instance my wife's persona
      and my persona are not only separated geographically, but also by about
      400 years. Some people work very hard to come up with adapted personas
      that would "be together" in period, and others just sort of ignore the
      cognitive dissonance and each studies that area that appeals to them.

      So the short answer is, do what ever makes you feel comfortable and
      inspired. If you do not share the same interest in late period Sweden as
      your wife, find that which does interest you and pursue that.

      Tirloch
    • captainrhys
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2004
        Officially my persona is 15th century Welsh, and my wife is 16th
        century French. But our story is I am a pirate and I captured her
        fathers merchant ship, we fell in love, etc. We pretty much ignore
        the 100 years in between.

        I know a lot of people who go out of their way to match their
        personas, and I know a lot, who just kind of ignore the issue and make
        no excuses. I suggest you do what you like, and she does what she
        likes, and see you there is anyway to draw a connection betwwen them,
        but don't overly worry about it if there is not.

        I would also suggest you have the occasional very dressy matching
        outfit so you can both look really cool in court together. Maybe do a
        set of matching outfits on your persona, and a set matching hers and
        wear them to court every other time.

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, CleKHD@a... wrote:
        > Do most spouses have persona's from the same country and time period
        or do
        > many people mix them up. My wife wants to do a Swedish persona post
        viking

      • Isabella La Red
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 12, 2004
          Hi guys I would just like to say my husband and I
          have different time periods and persona's and we still
          love each other..

          He does his thing and I do mine but we help each other
          out in creating our garb and armour.

          good luck
          Isabella La Red

          http://au.movies.yahoo.com