Re: [SCA Newcomers] Husband and Wife Personas

  • Marcus Dooley
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 12, 2004
      Kevin
      I have been out of the sca for some time now but unless things really
      changed drasticly the two of you can have totaly diffrent personas. Its
      all what you want to do.

      CleKHD@... wrote:

      > Do most spouses have persona's from the same country and time period
      > or do
      > many people mix them up. My wife wants to do a Swedish persona post
      > viking
      > (because she can speak Swedish) whereas I am more interested in
      > English/Scottish
      > 1000-1300 time period. We are just getting started and have yet to go
      > to our
      > first event, just thought maybe we should at least come up with
      > names. Any
      > thoughts would be appreciated.
      >
      > Thank You
      >
      > Kevin

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1290dgi32/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1092423049/A=2164331/R=0/SIG=11eaelai9/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183351>

    • Tirloch O'Riordain
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2004
        CleKHD@... wrote:

        > Do most spouses have persona's from the same country and time period
        > or do
        > many people mix them up. My wife wants to do a Swedish persona post
        > viking
        > (because she can speak Swedish) whereas I am more interested in
        > English/Scottish
        > 1000-1300 time period. We are just getting started and have yet to go
        > to our
        > first event, just thought maybe we should at least come up with
        > names. Any
        > thoughts would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thank You
        >
        > Kevin

        Greetings,

        This type of thing is completely up to the people involved. There are
        many married couples, who met in the SCA, and therefore had established
        personas long before they were married. For instance my wife's persona
        and my persona are not only separated geographically, but also by about
        400 years. Some people work very hard to come up with adapted personas
        that would "be together" in period, and others just sort of ignore the
        cognitive dissonance and each studies that area that appeals to them.

        So the short answer is, do what ever makes you feel comfortable and
        inspired. If you do not share the same interest in late period Sweden as
        your wife, find that which does interest you and pursue that.

        Tirloch
      • captainrhys
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 12, 2004
          Officially my persona is 15th century Welsh, and my wife is 16th
          century French. But our story is I am a pirate and I captured her
          fathers merchant ship, we fell in love, etc. We pretty much ignore
          the 100 years in between.

          I know a lot of people who go out of their way to match their
          personas, and I know a lot, who just kind of ignore the issue and make
          no excuses. I suggest you do what you like, and she does what she
          likes, and see you there is anyway to draw a connection betwwen them,
          but don't overly worry about it if there is not.

          I would also suggest you have the occasional very dressy matching
          outfit so you can both look really cool in court together. Maybe do a
          set of matching outfits on your persona, and a set matching hers and
          wear them to court every other time.

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, CleKHD@a... wrote:
          > Do most spouses have persona's from the same country and time period
          or do
          > many people mix them up. My wife wants to do a Swedish persona post
          viking

        • Isabella La Red
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 12, 2004
            Hi guys I would just like to say my husband and I
            have different time periods and persona's and we still
            love each other..

            He does his thing and I do mine but we help each other
            out in creating our garb and armour.

            good luck
            Isabella La Red

            http://au.movies.yahoo.com