Patterns

  • chemistbb3
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 12, 2004
      OK, I've looked around and can not find what I'm looking for.

      Anyone know where I can find a reasonably simple pattern for a man's
      coathardie (sp?).

      I got this great bolt of red wool on sale and it speaks to me...

      Thanks
      William
    • Larah Tanner
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 16, 2004
        If you have a Johanns around, I would go in and ask to see the simplicitys pattern costume book from 2000 through 2003. I seem to remember a mans Coathardie pattern from about that time. Also check out the african culture patterns availible. I made josh his coathardie last year using a culture pattern. Look through and find one you can adjust to fit to your own taste. If you use your imagination to see seams you can put in & trims you'll end up with a uniquely beautiful piece of clothing. Thanks ----lorie

        chemistbb3 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:OK, I've looked around and can not find what I'm looking for.

        Anyone know where I can find a reasonably simple pattern for a man's
        coathardie (sp?).

        I got this great bolt of red wool on sale and it speaks to me...

        Thanks
        William

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • lizalizfuller
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 10, 2008
          Where can I find sewing patterns for SCA costumes
        • Callahan Patrick
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 10, 2008
            once you know what you want the costume to look like - we can make the wal-mart or fabric store patten work to accomplish that - are you busy today I could come over and help you

            Kreyze Padreyk

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 10, 2008
              Sorry Personal Reply To Public Email :(

            • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 10, 2008
                > Where can I find sewing patterns for SCA costumes

                I'm going to assume that by "costumes" you mean "clothing to wear at
                S.C.A. events" and not "costumes that someone living before 1600 might
                have worn to a masquerade, carnival, etc." If that assumption is
                incorrect (and with the number of branches that have costumed
                12th-night parties coming up, it certainly might be) let us know. For
                future reference, most SCAdians refer to clothing for events as "garb".

                Reconstructing History
                <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?c=22&w=24&r=Y> offers
                well-researched patterns from the 15th and 16th centuries.

                Margo Anderson's Historic Costume Patterns
                <http://www.margospatterns.com/> offers well-documented patterns for
                Elizabethan upper class men and women and lower class women.

                Burda has a reasonably accurate pattern for a sideless surcoat with a
                matching underdress for women (number 7977)
                <http://www.burdafashion.com/en/Patterns/Main_Collection/
                7977_Historic_Dress/1270778-1128998-1003047-1392667.html>.

                It is also quite possible to make beautiful and accurate clothing
                without a printed pattern. Newcomers are often encouraged to begin
                with simple tunics, made using rectangular construction methods
                <http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/tunics.html>. They
                were worn from the beginning of the core SCA millennium almost to the
                end, all over Europe (with some variations in details like the shapes
                of sleeves and necklines and the placement and type of trim). They're
                appropriate to gentles of both sexes and all ages. (Anyone can wear
                one floor-length. Male personae may also wear shorter ones.) They're
                economical of fabric and easy to make and to dress up or down.

                Tunics based on the finds classed as "Type 1" by Nockert are the sort
                most commonly made in the S.C.A. There are online several good
                articles on these, each with its own strengths. Jane Stockton's
                "Getting Started with Tunics"
                <http://needleprayse.webcon.net.au/research/index.html> is a good
                overview of how one is put together, with information on plausible
                colors and details you can vary to get a look you like. Reconstructing
                History's "Your First Garb"
                <https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?d=141> takes a
                slightly different approach to assembly, and has more information on
                fabric choice. And Cynthia du Pré Argent has an interactive worksheet
                <http://www.virtue.to/articles/tunic_worksheet.html> into which you can
                put your measurements to get fabric measurements automatically
                calculated for you. (Click "feed them into this form".)

                There are fewer articles around with details on other types of tunics.
                Barbara L.M. Handley's "The Making of a Greenland Gown"
                <http://www.briaca.com/mygarb/greengown1.html> is based on a Nockert
                Type 4 garment, and Hefdharfru Vigdís Vestfirzka's "Viking/Norse
                Underdress" <http://www.silverdor.org/viking/underdress.html> on
                Nockert Type 5 finds. Sarah Thursfield's articles on early medieval
                dresses and tunics
                <http://www.insulaedraconis.org/documents/FlamePeace/AOP_new/
                stcostume1.htm> and shirts and smocks
                <http://www.insulaedraconis.org/documents/FlamePeace/AOP_new/
                stcostume2.htm> include cutting diagrams for a few different types.

                Just the tunic is enough (for males or females of all ages) for a first
                outfit. If you want a more "complete" look, you might add a hood
                <http://www.virtue.to/articles/hoodlum.html>, or (for a male persona) a
                coif <http://www.virtue.to/articles/coif.html> or (for a female
                persona) a veil <http://www.virtue.to/articles/veils.html>, to keep the
                sun off your head and for that extra dash of authenticity. A plain
                leather belt with a simple buckle, a pouch or satchel (or both) to keep
                your "stuff" in
                <http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?
                action=displaycat&catid=288>, and some unobtrusive shoes (or period
                ones <http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/SHOEHOM3.HTM>)
                will round out the look. Those with male personae who are
                uncomfortable in skirts alone may wear hosen or, as early-period
                alternative, trews <http://www.regia.org/members/basclot5d.htm>. (I
                suppose those with female personae could do likewise, but as their
                skirts will fall to the floor, trews or hosen won't show.)

                If you want something more fitted, you can by adding laces to the basic
                tunic make a bliaut
                <http://www.geocities.com/louise_de_la_mare/12th_Century_Bliaut.htm>
                <http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/~lwittie/sca/garb/bliaut.html>.

                Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                Kingdom of Ansteorra
                <mailto:Coblaith@...>
              • svanarose
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 11, 2008
                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "lizalizfuller"
                  <lizalizfuller@...> wrote:

                  > Where can I find sewing patterns for SCA costumes

                  One of the responses you recieved is correct. Your basic sewing
                  patterns have costumes and you can modify them to your needs or someone
                  that sews can, if you dont. It got to the point that i started buying
                  every day clothing patterns that were not costumes and modified them.
                  There are also some great companies that i have found online that
                  feature historical costumes.

                  Some vendors at Faires and Events sell them.

                  A little later i can go through my backlog of research and websites and
                  post a few here for you and anyone else that could use the info.

                  Respectfully
                  Svana
                • Kristen Praiswater
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 11, 2008
                    There are a lot of commercial patterns that can be altered for SCA use.  I've used several McCall's patterns and Simplicity patterns.  A web site that I found to have good patterns is www.sewingcentral.com.  I hope this helps.

                    Kristen

                    Where can I find sewing patterns for SCA costumes

                  • Maria Buchanan
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 11, 2008
                      Ok.  I was going to keep quiet on this one.  But I'll weigh in too.
                      First of all, if you are a good seemstress and can read a pattern without instructions, go for the Period Patterns.
                      That said, I can't read the darn things.  I'm not that good a seemstress.
                      So, I use the McCalls, Simplicity and Butterick patterns.  They have instructions that are relatively easy to read.
                      Some of those patterns need to be majorly overhauled.  Others are pretty close.  If it says to put in a zipper, either just sew it up the seem and don't put the zipper in, or put a facing in and make button holes that you can then use to lace the dress.  Easy.  Some of them the sleeves are all wrong.
                      But here we go again with the one thing I tell ALL newcomers.
                      You don't have to have Period Correct clothing to go to an event.  A lot of us older people who have been around and can't sew well don't have really period correct clothing.  I have a friend who made me my Italian Ren cause I couldn't figure out the pattern.  She's also going to give me a copy of the pattern (which it turns out is pretty easy) and now I can make my own Italian Ren from that pattern.
                      So ...
                      Make an ATTEMPT at something from the Medieval/Renaissance period, and don't worry about it.
                      Just remember not to wear a white, yellow, red or green belt, a white or red scarf, a heavy unadorned gold chain or spurs and you should be ok.
                      Maria

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 11, 2008
                        You made a fantastic point. Garb doesnt have to be period correct. Im
                        glad you stress that to newcomers. When i first got started in all
                        this, i had a few people stress the hell out of me about that. I
                        learned through meeting even more people that functional garb is all
                        you need. And if you DO want garb that is period correct, wearing
                        functional garb at events gives you time and space to research and
                        take your time on the period garb.
                        My (as much as possible)period correct garb is my persona garb. The
                        rest, purely functional. And i love it. And at Pennsic, my first
                        event, i recieved a lot of positive feedback, curiousities and
                        queries as to my functional garb. Not once did i ever receive grief
                        from anyone as to my garb not being period.

                        The most comfortable garb is peasant style blouses or chemise and T-
                        tunics and basic skirts. And its easiest to function in when your
                        camping.

                        Respectfully
                        Svana

                        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Maria Buchanan <scarlettmb@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Ok.  I was going to keep quiet on this one.  But I'll weigh in too.
                        > First of all, if you are a good seemstress and can read a pattern
                        without instructions, go for the Period Patterns.
                        > That said, I can't read the darn things.  I'm not that good a
                        seemstress.
                        > So, I use the McCalls, Simplicity and Butterick patterns.  They
                        have instructions that are relatively easy to read.
                        > Some of those patterns need to be majorly overhauled.  Others are
                        pretty close.  If it says to put in a zipper, either just sew it up
                        the seem and don't put the zipper in, or put a facing in and make
                        button holes that you can then use to lace the dress.  Easy.  Some of
                        them the sleeves are all wrong.
                        > But here we go again with the one thing I tell ALL newcomers.
                        > You don't have to have Period Correct clothing to go to an event.
                        A lot of us older people who have been around and can't sew well
                        don't have really period correct clothing.  I have a friend who made
                        me my Italian Ren cause I couldn't figure out the pattern.  She's
                        also going to give me a copy of the pattern (which it turns out is
                        pretty easy) and now I can make my own Italian Ren from that
                        pattern.
                        > So ...
                        > Make an ATTEMPT at something from the Medieval/Renaissance period,
                        and don't worry about it.
                        > Just remember not to wear a white, yellow, red or green belt, a
                        white or red scarf, a heavy unadorned gold chain or spurs and you
                        should be ok.
                        > Maria

                      • Kyla
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 12, 2008
                          This raises some very good questions for me, as well.
                          Things like which time and region are important for deciding which pattern.
                          If you want a more specific discussion of exactly which patterns, you'll
                          need to state your choice of same.

                          Also, I have my own idea of the difference between costume and garb; mainly
                          that costume may pass the 10' rule - looks OK from 10' away, but that garb
                          is clothing, just from a different time and region, but I would very much
                          like to hear what other people think is important about the difference
                          between costume and garb.

                          Tabitha Pennywarden
                          Ravenslake, Midlands
                          Middle Kingdom

                          Where can I find sewing patterns for SCA costumes

                        • Linda hightower
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 12, 2008
                            I tend to aggree with you garb is somthing i would love to wear everyday.. a costume is just something that is worn for say a party . I have found a costume that i am going to turn to garb once i get done with it... lots of things im going to change but i like the way it fits me and i cant sew very well so im taking a zipper out of the back and putting buttons on it ..

                            Siobhan

                            scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: skycat@...: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 07:15:07 -0600Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Costume Vs. Garb, was RE: Patterns

                            This raises some very good questions for me, as well.Things like which time and region are important for deciding which pattern.If you want a more specific discussion of exactly which patterns, you'llneed to state your choice of same.Also, I have my own idea of the difference between costume and garb; mainlythat costume may pass the 10' rule - looks OK from 10' away, but that garbis clothing, just from a different time and region, but I would very muchlike to hear what other people think is important about the differencebetween costume and garb.Tabitha PennywardenRavenslake, MidlandsMiddle Kingdom-----Original Message-----From: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com]OnBehalf Of lizalizfullerSent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:13 AMTo: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comSubject: [SCA Newcomers] PatternsWhere can I find sewing patterns for SCA costumes[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                            ou
                          • svanarose
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 23, 2008
                              Greetings Coblaith,

                              Tremendous list. Ive been making my own garb for over a year now and
                              some sites you listed, i had not found in my research.

                              I meant to post much of my research and findings here, but relized
                              later, all that was on my computer when it crashed. I lost it all. I
                              am restocking my research.

                              Thank you for the information you have shared.

                              Svana
                              Kingdom of Trimaris