Re: [SCA Newcomers] Tents for events

  • costumesbycrys@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 9, 2004
      Oops, didn't think to say that it would be myself and my son (6 yrs
      old) using it. Also, I am 5' 4" tall so 6" seems tall to me.

      Thanks,
      Topaz Teadottir Meyer
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 23, 2004
        In a message dated 8/10/2004 4:13:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

        <<Is it a big deal to have a fairly large (14x10) tent that isn't
        period? I want one with a screen area (bugs love me) and am semi
        worried about taking it to an event. The local ones I have gone to it
        wouldn't be a big deal to tent since the area is rather large and
        flat. Anything else I should know?>>

        I'm sure your question has been answered satisfactorily days ago, but I just
        got home from Pennsic :-)
        Pennsic is the only place that I know of where there are size limitations on
        tents - specifically, each person who preregisters for Pennsic gets 250 square
        feet of space. A 10 X 14 would fall well within that limit, being about 140
        sq. ft. Incidently, the reason for the size limitation at Pennsic is because
        we are trying to cram upwards of 11,000 people into one campground and make
        sure everyone gets a equal amount of space. If you have, say, two adults and
        two kids, all pre-registered, camping together at Pennsic, then their total
        space allotment would be 1000 sq. ft. In practice, when camping with a group,
        some of "your" space allotment needs to go to things like pathways between tents,
        common areas, kitchen areas, firepits, etc. There may be other campsites
        with similar issues, but it should be publicized in advance. In most cases, in
        the SCA a 10 x 14 tent simply isn't that big :-) My husband and I use one that
        is 15 X 24.
        Modern tents simply aren't an issue. There's no requirement to have a period
        tent for any event, although some groups camping together may prefer or
        require it - but these are private issues rather than SCA ones.
        That said, if the screen area of your tent is a separate "porch" type room
        with a floor in it and nothing to close over the screens if it rains, cut the
        floor out of that section. Otherwise you will have a swimming pool if it rains.
        If you are just talking about screen "windows", they will be provided with
        covers and you won't have to worry about it.

        Lancaster, PA
        (Been there, bailed out the porch on more than one occasion...)

      • yorstarlet
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 23, 2004
          Thank you so much for your information Brangwayna Morgan. I am so
          glad to have a forum to ask questions and get the help that I need.

          Dawn