Re: [SCA Newcomers] Tents for events

  • starie_ize
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 9, 2004
      Is it a big deal to have a fairly large (14x10) tent that isn't
      period? I want one with a screen area (bugs love me) and am semi
      worried about taking it to an event. The local ones I have gone to it
      wouldn't be a big deal to tent since the area is rather large and
      flat. Anything else I should know?
    • Brangwyne
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 9, 2004
        My tent is 10 X 20 and most of the time its just me and my daughter.
        Never had a problem with it.

        Is it a big deal to have a fairly large (14x10) tent that isn't period?
        I want one with a screen area (bugs love me) and am semi worried about
        taking it to an event. The local ones I have gone to it wouldn't be a
        big deal to tent since the area is rather large and flat. Anything else
        I should know?

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        ---
        Virus Database (VPS): 0433-1, 08/09/2004
        Tested on: 8/9/2004 4:21:16 PM
      • costumesbycrys@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 9, 2004
          Oops, didn't think to say that it would be myself and my son (6 yrs
          old) using it. Also, I am 5' 4" tall so 6" seems tall to me.

          Thanks,
          Topaz Teadottir Meyer
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 23, 2004
            In a message dated 8/10/2004 4:13:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

            <<Is it a big deal to have a fairly large (14x10) tent that isn't
            period? I want one with a screen area (bugs love me) and am semi
            worried about taking it to an event. The local ones I have gone to it
            wouldn't be a big deal to tent since the area is rather large and
            flat. Anything else I should know?>>

            I'm sure your question has been answered satisfactorily days ago, but I just
            got home from Pennsic :-)
            Pennsic is the only place that I know of where there are size limitations on
            tents - specifically, each person who preregisters for Pennsic gets 250 square
            feet of space. A 10 X 14 would fall well within that limit, being about 140
            sq. ft. Incidently, the reason for the size limitation at Pennsic is because
            we are trying to cram upwards of 11,000 people into one campground and make
            sure everyone gets a equal amount of space. If you have, say, two adults and
            two kids, all pre-registered, camping together at Pennsic, then their total
            space allotment would be 1000 sq. ft. In practice, when camping with a group,
            some of "your" space allotment needs to go to things like pathways between tents,
            common areas, kitchen areas, firepits, etc. There may be other campsites
            with similar issues, but it should be publicized in advance. In most cases, in
            the SCA a 10 x 14 tent simply isn't that big :-) My husband and I use one that
            is 15 X 24.
            Modern tents simply aren't an issue. There's no requirement to have a period
            tent for any event, although some groups camping together may prefer or
            require it - but these are private issues rather than SCA ones.
            That said, if the screen area of your tent is a separate "porch" type room
            with a floor in it and nothing to close over the screens if it rains, cut the
            floor out of that section. Otherwise you will have a swimming pool if it rains.
            If you are just talking about screen "windows", they will be provided with
            covers and you won't have to worry about it.

            Lancaster, PA
            (Been there, bailed out the porch on more than one occasion...)

          • yorstarlet
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 23, 2004
              Thank you so much for your information Brangwayna Morgan. I am so
              glad to have a forum to ask questions and get the help that I need.

              Dawn