Re: [SCA Newcomers] Tents for events

  • starie_ize
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 9, 2004
      Is it a big deal to have a fairly large (14x10) tent that isn't
      period? I want one with a screen area (bugs love me) and am semi
      worried about taking it to an event. The local ones I have gone to it
      wouldn't be a big deal to tent since the area is rather large and
      flat. Anything else I should know?
    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 9, 2004
        Check the sleeping diagram on the package the tent comes in. I'll
        bet that it would show sleeping bags crammed in all sorts of ways to
        sleep 6, with no space for anything else. Sleeps "X" people is
        possible, but they didn't say comfortably.

        Some of it depends on you, how much stuff you want to carry, and how
        long of a camping trip you want to take. The tent I use now is 15X10
        and 75" tall at the middle and designed based on a dome tent. I use
        it whenever I camp and it has gone through the week of Gulf Wars
        twice. It is OK for me alone, but it would be a little crowded for
        2. If I wanted to keep the same footprint but for more people, I
        would go with a cabin type tent. Actually, for a weekend for one,
        a "Sleeps Six" tent would probably work OK.

        All this assumes you don't want to go with a period pavillion as a
        tent at this time.

        William

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, costumesbycrys@e... wrote:

        > In expectation of camping at events next summer, I am looking
        at the
        > tents on sale right now. Don't know if Pennsic will be in the
        budget
        > but local events certainly will be. What are some of the things I
        > would need to look for in a tent (ie size, height, vents, etc.)
        Are
        > there rules on size? The one at Walmart I looked at was and Ozark
        > something. Size was 6 people. Height was 6 feet in middle. Had
        tie
        > downs and that extra roof thing.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for input,
        > Topaz Teadottir Meyer
      • Brangwyne
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 9, 2004
          My tent is 10 X 20 and most of the time its just me and my daughter.
          Never had a problem with it.

          Is it a big deal to have a fairly large (14x10) tent that isn't period?
          I want one with a screen area (bugs love me) and am semi worried about
          taking it to an event. The local ones I have gone to it wouldn't be a
          big deal to tent since the area is rather large and flat. Anything else
          I should know?

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          ---
          Virus Database (VPS): 0433-1, 08/09/2004
          Tested on: 8/9/2004 4:21:16 PM
        • costumesbycrys@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 9, 2004
            Oops, didn't think to say that it would be myself and my son (6 yrs
            old) using it. Also, I am 5' 4" tall so 6" seems tall to me.

            Thanks,
            Topaz Teadottir Meyer
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 23, 2004
              In a message dated 8/10/2004 4:13:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

              <<Is it a big deal to have a fairly large (14x10) tent that isn't
              period? I want one with a screen area (bugs love me) and am semi
              worried about taking it to an event. The local ones I have gone to it
              wouldn't be a big deal to tent since the area is rather large and
              flat. Anything else I should know?>>

              I'm sure your question has been answered satisfactorily days ago, but I just
              got home from Pennsic :-)
              Pennsic is the only place that I know of where there are size limitations on
              tents - specifically, each person who preregisters for Pennsic gets 250 square
              feet of space. A 10 X 14 would fall well within that limit, being about 140
              sq. ft. Incidently, the reason for the size limitation at Pennsic is because
              we are trying to cram upwards of 11,000 people into one campground and make
              sure everyone gets a equal amount of space. If you have, say, two adults and
              two kids, all pre-registered, camping together at Pennsic, then their total
              space allotment would be 1000 sq. ft. In practice, when camping with a group,
              some of "your" space allotment needs to go to things like pathways between tents,
              common areas, kitchen areas, firepits, etc. There may be other campsites
              with similar issues, but it should be publicized in advance. In most cases, in
              the SCA a 10 x 14 tent simply isn't that big :-) My husband and I use one that
              is 15 X 24.
              Modern tents simply aren't an issue. There's no requirement to have a period
              tent for any event, although some groups camping together may prefer or
              require it - but these are private issues rather than SCA ones.
              That said, if the screen area of your tent is a separate "porch" type room
              with a floor in it and nothing to close over the screens if it rains, cut the
              floor out of that section. Otherwise you will have a swimming pool if it rains.
              If you are just talking about screen "windows", they will be provided with
              covers and you won't have to worry about it.

              Lancaster, PA
              (Been there, bailed out the porch on more than one occasion...)

            • yorstarlet
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 23, 2004
                Thank you so much for your information Brangwayna Morgan. I am so
                glad to have a forum to ask questions and get the help that I need.

                Dawn