latin/ roman names

  • J and D
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 9, 2004
      ok so i think i have the perfect first name a variation on my middle
      name of Ralph but using the latin Radalfus would it be possible to
      use this name if i was say from wales or england?
    • Tirloch O'Riordain
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 9, 2004
        If you look at very early period, 400ce. to 800ce., most of England was
        controlled by the Romans, and later the Romano-Bitons. So there are
        Latin names in England at this time, but they were either occupying
        Romans or decedents of Romans. After the fall of Rome, many Roman
        Warriors who had married locals tried to re-establish much of the Roman
        culture and government. It would be very likely that their children
        would have carried Latin, and not Celtic names. The names of some of
        these warriors that have been recorded were Ambrosious Aurelianus, and
        Arturus.

      • costumesbycrys@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 9, 2004
          In expectation of camping at events next summer, I am looking at the
          tents on sale right now. Don't know if Pennsic will be in the budget
          but local events certainly will be. What are some of the things I
          would need to look for in a tent (ie size, height, vents, etc.) Are
          there rules on size? The one at Walmart I looked at was and Ozark
          something. Size was 6 people. Height was 6 feet in middle. Had tie
          downs and that extra roof thing.

          Thanks in advance for input,
          Topaz Teadottir Meyer
        • starie_ize
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 9, 2004
            Is it a big deal to have a fairly large (14x10) tent that isn't
            period? I want one with a screen area (bugs love me) and am semi
            worried about taking it to an event. The local ones I have gone to it
            wouldn't be a big deal to tent since the area is rather large and
            flat. Anything else I should know?
          • chemistbb3
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 9, 2004
              Check the sleeping diagram on the package the tent comes in. I'll
              bet that it would show sleeping bags crammed in all sorts of ways to
              sleep 6, with no space for anything else. Sleeps "X" people is
              possible, but they didn't say comfortably.

              Some of it depends on you, how much stuff you want to carry, and how
              long of a camping trip you want to take. The tent I use now is 15X10
              and 75" tall at the middle and designed based on a dome tent. I use
              it whenever I camp and it has gone through the week of Gulf Wars
              twice. It is OK for me alone, but it would be a little crowded for
              2. If I wanted to keep the same footprint but for more people, I
              would go with a cabin type tent. Actually, for a weekend for one,
              a "Sleeps Six" tent would probably work OK.

              All this assumes you don't want to go with a period pavillion as a
              tent at this time.

              William

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, costumesbycrys@e... wrote:

              > In expectation of camping at events next summer, I am looking
              at the
              > tents on sale right now. Don't know if Pennsic will be in the
              budget
              > but local events certainly will be. What are some of the things I
              > would need to look for in a tent (ie size, height, vents, etc.)
              Are
              > there rules on size? The one at Walmart I looked at was and Ozark
              > something. Size was 6 people. Height was 6 feet in middle. Had
              tie
              > downs and that extra roof thing.
              >
              > Thanks in advance for input,
              > Topaz Teadottir Meyer
            • Brangwyne
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 9, 2004
                My tent is 10 X 20 and most of the time its just me and my daughter.
                Never had a problem with it.

                Is it a big deal to have a fairly large (14x10) tent that isn't period?
                I want one with a screen area (bugs love me) and am semi worried about
                taking it to an event. The local ones I have gone to it wouldn't be a
                big deal to tent since the area is rather large and flat. Anything else
                I should know?

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                ---
                Virus Database (VPS): 0433-1, 08/09/2004
                Tested on: 8/9/2004 4:21:16 PM
              • Susan Farmer
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 9, 2004
                  > In expectation of camping at events next summer, I am looking at the
                  > tents on sale right now. Don't know if Pennsic will be in the budget
                  > but local events certainly will be. What are some of the things I
                  > would need to look for in a tent (ie size, height, vents, etc.) Are
                  > there rules on size? The one at Walmart I looked at was and Ozark
                  > something. Size was 6 people. Height was 6 feet in middle. Had tie
                  > downs and that extra roof thing.

                  If you've got the money -- and they are High Dollar get a period one
                  from Panther Primitaves. I bought mine at Sears. My son and I had
                  borrowed a Civil War Tent to take to Gulf War last year. (think small
                  Viking wedge.) Allegedly it held 6 men. *ROTFL*

                  I picked the tent that I did because it had 2 rooms and a tall ceiling.
                  Trying to dress in a tent that's only 6' tall in the exact center is
                  *not* a fun thing to do even if you are only 5'7" The one thing that
                  I would point out is that the "Size was 6 people" is literally that --
                  6 people. No gear. No garb. No coolers, no ... You get the idea.
                  There was room for 2 cots and a small aisle separating them in our
                  6 man tent .... There *might* have been room for a cooler at the foot
                  of each cot.

                  Jerusha in Meridies
                • costumesbycrys@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 9, 2004
                    Oops, didn't think to say that it would be myself and my son (6 yrs
                    old) using it. Also, I am 5' 4" tall so 6" seems tall to me.

                    Thanks,
                    Topaz Teadottir Meyer
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 23, 2004
                      In a message dated 8/10/2004 4:13:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

                      <<Is it a big deal to have a fairly large (14x10) tent that isn't
                      period? I want one with a screen area (bugs love me) and am semi
                      worried about taking it to an event. The local ones I have gone to it
                      wouldn't be a big deal to tent since the area is rather large and
                      flat. Anything else I should know?>>

                      I'm sure your question has been answered satisfactorily days ago, but I just
                      got home from Pennsic :-)
                      Pennsic is the only place that I know of where there are size limitations on
                      tents - specifically, each person who preregisters for Pennsic gets 250 square
                      feet of space. A 10 X 14 would fall well within that limit, being about 140
                      sq. ft. Incidently, the reason for the size limitation at Pennsic is because
                      we are trying to cram upwards of 11,000 people into one campground and make
                      sure everyone gets a equal amount of space. If you have, say, two adults and
                      two kids, all pre-registered, camping together at Pennsic, then their total
                      space allotment would be 1000 sq. ft. In practice, when camping with a group,
                      some of "your" space allotment needs to go to things like pathways between tents,
                      common areas, kitchen areas, firepits, etc. There may be other campsites
                      with similar issues, but it should be publicized in advance. In most cases, in
                      the SCA a 10 x 14 tent simply isn't that big :-) My husband and I use one that
                      is 15 X 24.
                      Modern tents simply aren't an issue. There's no requirement to have a period
                      tent for any event, although some groups camping together may prefer or
                      require it - but these are private issues rather than SCA ones.
                      That said, if the screen area of your tent is a separate "porch" type room
                      with a floor in it and nothing to close over the screens if it rains, cut the
                      floor out of that section. Otherwise you will have a swimming pool if it rains.
                      If you are just talking about screen "windows", they will be provided with
                      covers and you won't have to worry about it.

                      Lancaster, PA
                      (Been there, bailed out the porch on more than one occasion...)

                    • yorstarlet
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 23, 2004
                        Thank you so much for your information Brangwayna Morgan. I am so
                        glad to have a forum to ask questions and get the help that I need.

                        Dawn