Re: [SCA Newcomers] Armoring joints ?

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4 7:51 AM
      On Tuesday 03 August 2004 20:39, laxbaron@... wrote:
      > i am trying to put together my first suit of armor, and as a college
      > kid i dont have a lot to spend. i was wondering if just chainmail over
      > padding would be considerd enough protection to fit the standard for
      > elbow and knee protection?

      Elbow and knee joints must be "hard over soft", that is, they must have a
      rigid outer surface to block blows over a soft padding that cushions the
      bones and absorbs the energy of the impact.

      [EMT_MODE]
      Elbows are an area you want to protect carefully. The thing people call the
      "funny bone", which hurts so badly when you bump it against a table, is really
      a bundle of nerves that handle mobility of the hand, wrist, and fingers. If
      the elbow is fractured, you run the risk of severing that nerve bundle and
      permanently losing the use of the hand. This is a Very Bad Thing. Suitable
      elbow armor provides excellent protection against this type of injury.
      [/EMT_MODE]

      Aside from the SCA rules, and the EMT lecture on the danger.....just imagine
      the level of pain if someone whacked you in the "funny bone" with a four foot
      piece of rattan. "Mommmmmyyyyyyy!!!!!"

      Elbow cops are not difficult to make. Our local armoring guildmaster showed
      me a plan to make minimal SCA-acceptable elbows -- non-articulated -- from a
      piece of metal cut into, believe it or not, a "Y" shape. If you bend it just
      right, you get a wonderful lightweight elbow cop in about an hour, and you
      can buy the materials at the hardware store for about $10. This design doesn't
      protect the arms at all, just the elbow joint itself, so it's not ideal for
      a serious melee fighter -- but it's adequate to get started. (I've been
      using mine for five years now. They've been inspected by many Marshals and
      never once questioned or failed.) You can also combine something like this
      over the elbow with leather "bracers" to protect the forearms.

      Check with your local Knights Marshal. Chances are someone in your group will
      be willing to teach you to make some armor, and lend you tools and workspace.
      Here in Alderford, we have a (non-chartered, unofficial) guild where every
      member chips in for the cost of shared materials, and a pool of funds pays for
      some expensive specialty tools such as a Beverly shear (wonderful thing, that!).
      The Beverly shear was $600, but the cost was shared by over 20 people. You may
      also find that someone in your group has used armor that they will sell or
      trade.

      Armor is one of those crafts where the raw materials are generally dirt cheap,
      but the finished goods are incredibly expensive. That makes it a good candidate
      for a skill to learn, because you can save yourself some serious money. And the
      armouring itself is fun...I daresay I enjoy that more than the fighting, truly!

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • Shshonee
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5 2:37 PM
        There are pdf files with the specific criteria on the sca.org website. I was just reading thru some of them, cuz I need to make my armor as well and have no idea how to do it! lol.

        Patricia

      • Shshonee
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5 2:41 PM
          http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/armored/index.html

          Sorry, I should have put that first.

          Patricia
          You're only young once & never old twice.
          http://alleypat.home.comcast.net
          http://www.dfwrite.org

        • chemistbb3
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 9 12:27 PM
            Also remember that these are the SCA minimums. Be sure to check with
            your Kingdom Marshallate as most Kingdoms have stricter standards.

            William