Re: Armoring joints ?

  • chemistbb3
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2004
      NO!!!!

      I'm not sure of the exact wording, but something about them having
      to be a rigid naterial. There are plenty of choices that are
      inexpensive. Aluminium, plastic, heavy leather and steel are all
      fairly easy to come by. Go to who ever mailtains the roads in your
      area and ask for damaged stree signs. Head to a sheet metal shop
      and ask about their "drops" or scraps. Use heavy plastic and dress
      it up with a maille covering. Heck, see you local Knight Marshal
      and see what he has for suggestions. Some times the local armorers
      might go for a bit of bartering. (Do their yard work for a set of
      cops).

      William

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "laxbaron@a..." <laxbaron@a...>
      wrote:
      > i am trying to put together my first suit of armor, and as a
      college
      > kid i dont have a lot to spend. i was wondering if just chainmail
      over
      > padding would be considerd enough protection to fit the standard
      for
      > elbow and knee protection?
      >

      > thanks for your
      help
      > Laxbaron
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2004
        On Tuesday 03 August 2004 20:39, laxbaron@... wrote:
        > i am trying to put together my first suit of armor, and as a college
        > kid i dont have a lot to spend. i was wondering if just chainmail over
        > padding would be considerd enough protection to fit the standard for
        > elbow and knee protection?

        Elbow and knee joints must be "hard over soft", that is, they must have a
        rigid outer surface to block blows over a soft padding that cushions the
        bones and absorbs the energy of the impact.

        [EMT_MODE]
        Elbows are an area you want to protect carefully. The thing people call the
        "funny bone", which hurts so badly when you bump it against a table, is really
        a bundle of nerves that handle mobility of the hand, wrist, and fingers. If
        the elbow is fractured, you run the risk of severing that nerve bundle and
        permanently losing the use of the hand. This is a Very Bad Thing. Suitable
        elbow armor provides excellent protection against this type of injury.
        [/EMT_MODE]

        Aside from the SCA rules, and the EMT lecture on the danger.....just imagine
        the level of pain if someone whacked you in the "funny bone" with a four foot
        piece of rattan. "Mommmmmyyyyyyy!!!!!"

        Elbow cops are not difficult to make. Our local armoring guildmaster showed
        me a plan to make minimal SCA-acceptable elbows -- non-articulated -- from a
        piece of metal cut into, believe it or not, a "Y" shape. If you bend it just
        right, you get a wonderful lightweight elbow cop in about an hour, and you
        can buy the materials at the hardware store for about $10. This design doesn't
        protect the arms at all, just the elbow joint itself, so it's not ideal for
        a serious melee fighter -- but it's adequate to get started. (I've been
        using mine for five years now. They've been inspected by many Marshals and
        never once questioned or failed.) You can also combine something like this
        over the elbow with leather "bracers" to protect the forearms.

        Check with your local Knights Marshal. Chances are someone in your group will
        be willing to teach you to make some armor, and lend you tools and workspace.
        Here in Alderford, we have a (non-chartered, unofficial) guild where every
        member chips in for the cost of shared materials, and a pool of funds pays for
        some expensive specialty tools such as a Beverly shear (wonderful thing, that!).
        The Beverly shear was $600, but the cost was shared by over 20 people. You may
        also find that someone in your group has used armor that they will sell or
        trade.

        Armor is one of those crafts where the raw materials are generally dirt cheap,
        but the finished goods are incredibly expensive. That makes it a good candidate
        for a skill to learn, because you can save yourself some serious money. And the
        armouring itself is fun...I daresay I enjoy that more than the fighting, truly!

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Shshonee
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
          There are pdf files with the specific criteria on the sca.org website. I was just reading thru some of them, cuz I need to make my armor as well and have no idea how to do it! lol.

          Patricia

        • Shshonee
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
            http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/armored/index.html

            Sorry, I should have put that first.

            Patricia
            You're only young once & never old twice.
            http://alleypat.home.comcast.net
            http://www.dfwrite.org

          • chemistbb3
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 9, 2004
              Also remember that these are the SCA minimums. Be sure to check with
              your Kingdom Marshallate as most Kingdoms have stricter standards.

              William