Armoring joints ?

  • laxbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2004
      i am trying to put together my first suit of armor, and as a college
      kid i dont have a lot to spend. i was wondering if just chainmail over
      padding would be considerd enough protection to fit the standard for
      elbow and knee protection?

      thanks for your help
      Laxbaron
    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2004
        NO!!!!

        I'm not sure of the exact wording, but something about them having
        to be a rigid naterial. There are plenty of choices that are
        inexpensive. Aluminium, plastic, heavy leather and steel are all
        fairly easy to come by. Go to who ever mailtains the roads in your
        area and ask for damaged stree signs. Head to a sheet metal shop
        and ask about their "drops" or scraps. Use heavy plastic and dress
        it up with a maille covering. Heck, see you local Knight Marshal
        and see what he has for suggestions. Some times the local armorers
        might go for a bit of bartering. (Do their yard work for a set of
        cops).

        William

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "laxbaron@a..." <laxbaron@a...>
        wrote:
        > i am trying to put together my first suit of armor, and as a
        college
        > kid i dont have a lot to spend. i was wondering if just chainmail
        over
        > padding would be considerd enough protection to fit the standard
        for
        > elbow and knee protection?
        >

        > thanks for your
        help
        > Laxbaron
      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2004
          On Tuesday 03 August 2004 20:39, laxbaron@... wrote:
          > i am trying to put together my first suit of armor, and as a college
          > kid i dont have a lot to spend. i was wondering if just chainmail over
          > padding would be considerd enough protection to fit the standard for
          > elbow and knee protection?

          Elbow and knee joints must be "hard over soft", that is, they must have a
          rigid outer surface to block blows over a soft padding that cushions the
          bones and absorbs the energy of the impact.

          [EMT_MODE]
          Elbows are an area you want to protect carefully. The thing people call the
          "funny bone", which hurts so badly when you bump it against a table, is really
          a bundle of nerves that handle mobility of the hand, wrist, and fingers. If
          the elbow is fractured, you run the risk of severing that nerve bundle and
          permanently losing the use of the hand. This is a Very Bad Thing. Suitable
          elbow armor provides excellent protection against this type of injury.
          [/EMT_MODE]

          Aside from the SCA rules, and the EMT lecture on the danger.....just imagine
          the level of pain if someone whacked you in the "funny bone" with a four foot
          piece of rattan. "Mommmmmyyyyyyy!!!!!"

          Elbow cops are not difficult to make. Our local armoring guildmaster showed
          me a plan to make minimal SCA-acceptable elbows -- non-articulated -- from a
          piece of metal cut into, believe it or not, a "Y" shape. If you bend it just
          right, you get a wonderful lightweight elbow cop in about an hour, and you
          can buy the materials at the hardware store for about $10. This design doesn't
          protect the arms at all, just the elbow joint itself, so it's not ideal for
          a serious melee fighter -- but it's adequate to get started. (I've been
          using mine for five years now. They've been inspected by many Marshals and
          never once questioned or failed.) You can also combine something like this
          over the elbow with leather "bracers" to protect the forearms.

          Check with your local Knights Marshal. Chances are someone in your group will
          be willing to teach you to make some armor, and lend you tools and workspace.
          Here in Alderford, we have a (non-chartered, unofficial) guild where every
          member chips in for the cost of shared materials, and a pool of funds pays for
          some expensive specialty tools such as a Beverly shear (wonderful thing, that!).
          The Beverly shear was $600, but the cost was shared by over 20 people. You may
          also find that someone in your group has used armor that they will sell or
          trade.

          Armor is one of those crafts where the raw materials are generally dirt cheap,
          but the finished goods are incredibly expensive. That makes it a good candidate
          for a skill to learn, because you can save yourself some serious money. And the
          armouring itself is fun...I daresay I enjoy that more than the fighting, truly!

          keys fesswise reversed sable.

        • Shshonee
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
            There are pdf files with the specific criteria on the sca.org website. I was just reading thru some of them, cuz I need to make my armor as well and have no idea how to do it! lol.

            Patricia

          • Shshonee
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
              http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/armored/index.html

              Sorry, I should have put that first.

              Patricia
              You're only young once & never old twice.
              http://alleypat.home.comcast.net
              http://www.dfwrite.org

            • chemistbb3
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 9, 2004
                Also remember that these are the SCA minimums. Be sure to check with
                your Kingdom Marshallate as most Kingdoms have stricter standards.

                William