Too old to get started?

  • CleKHD
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 21 8:33 PM
      I had a question regarding age. I've looked at several SCA sites and
      message boards and find it very interesting as I like medieval
      history. However it seems from the photos and the posts that most of
      the people are in their teens, 20's and 30's. As I am in my 40's I
      was wondering if I would be a bit too old to start out as a rookie ?
    • Susan Farmer
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 23 4:17 PM

        > I had a question regarding age. I've looked at several SCA sites and
        > message boards and find it very interesting as I like medieval
        > history. However it seems from the photos and the posts that most of
        > the people are in their teens, 20's and 30's. As I am in my 40's I
        > was wondering if I would be a bit too old to start out as a rookie ?

        Oh, heavens no! A great many of the "Old Folks" (me included) are "Old
        Folks," but we have newbie "Old Folks" too. Come on in! Learning keeps
        your brain young -- and what better way to learn!

        Mind you, I'm not putting *you* in the "Old Folks" cagegory -- I"ll be
        51 next week and am coming back after a 10 year hiatus for Grad School.

        Jerusha, the Old Lady Grad Student
      • Wolfgang von Eiffel
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 23 5:13 PM
          I must humbly give credit to where credit is due, that quote was passed to me Alfredo, Centurian of Ansteorra, and squire to a Knight whose name i cannot recall at the moment, and a man who has throughly trounced me many a time.

        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 23 8:04 PM
            Someone wrote:
            >  As I am in my 40's I was wondering if I would be a bit too
            > old to start out as a rookie ?

            Ya know, I have to admit that I paid no attention whatsoever to this
            thread until now, but this caught my eye.

            My good lady wife started in the SCA at approximately age 40, maybe just
            a year or so before that. She's done all right for herself:

            * Active at lots of demos and events, teaching classes, helping with
            Troll and list table, etc., and having a great time doing it

            * Volunteers lots of hours at Chirurgeons' Point at Pennsic every year,
            as a non-medical administrative volunteer

            * Has served as a Chronicler at local, regional, and now Kingdom levels

            * Currently the local Seneschal for our shire

            We have active members in our shire who are young children, active members
            who are in their fifties, and everything in between.

            Incidentally, my favorite "age" story is this one: About two years ago I
            was serving as Chirurgeon-In-Charge at a local event. A landed Baroness
            from one of the areas near us is in her late 40s or early to mid 50s.
            But she had been practicing combat. She put on her armor, walked onto the
            list field, and successfully passed the fighter authorization test.

            By all means, my good lady, age is no boundary to having fun! WELCOME!

            keys fesswise reversed sable.

          • chemistbb3
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 25 10:48 AM
              Well, I started at 44. Starting the Chiv fighting is pretty hard
              going, the old dogs and new tricks stuff and all. Is a little less
              than 5 years later and I can truely say I have never had a better
              time or found better friends than I have here. I would not trade it
              for the world.

              My advice is come on in, the water is great!

              William

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "CleKHD" <CleKHD@a...> wrote:
              > I had a question regarding age. I've looked at several SCA sites
              and
              > message boards and find it very interesting as I like medieval
              > history. However it seems from the photos and the posts that most
              of
              > the people are in their teens, 20's and 30's. As I am in my 40's I
              > was wondering if I would be a bit too old to start out as a rookie ?
            • Milica of Varna
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 26 7:26 AM
                Never too old! Plenty of people in the SCA are over 40 and never seem to lack
                something to do.

                Milica (who is older than you!) :-)

                On Wednesday 21 July 2004 23:33, CleKHD wrote:
                > I had a question regarding age. I've looked at several SCA sites and
                > message boards and find it very interesting as I like medieval
                > history. However it seems from the photos and the posts that most of
                > the people are in their teens, 20's and 30's. As I am in my 40's I
                > was wondering if I would be a bit too old to start out as a rookie ?

                THL Milica of Varna
                Middle Kingdom Chronicler
                chronicler@...

              • ayban_aksakal
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2004
                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "CleKHD" <CleKHD@a...> wrote:
                  > I had a question regarding age. I've looked at several SCA sites
                  and
                  > message boards and find it very interesting as I like medieval
                  > history. However it seems from the photos and the posts that most
                  of
                  > the people are in their teens, 20's and 30's. As I am in my 40's I
                  > was wondering if I would be a bit too old to start out as a rookie ?

                  I'm 46 and just attended my first event in June. I loved every minute
                  of it!

                  -Ayban Aksakal of the Barony of Madrone, An Tir
                • Larah Tanner
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 2, 2004
                    There's a quote(I can;t remenber by who.) that I love, it goes " You're only young once & never old twice." So you're not 46 years old, you're 46 years young, (plus it does us green teens good to know that there's life after Twenty) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------from a welcoming newbie Lorie

                    ayban_aksakal <ayban_aksakal@...> wrote:--- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "CleKHD" <CleKHD@a...> wrote:
                    > I had a question regarding age. I've looked at several SCA sites
                    and
                    > message boards and find it very interesting as I like medieval
                    > history. However it seems from the photos and the posts that most
                    of
                    > the people are in their teens, 20's and 30's. As I am in my 40's I
                    > was wondering if I would be a bit too old to start out as a rookie ?

                    I'm 46 and just attended my first event in June. I loved every minute
                    of it!

                    -Ayban Aksakal of the Barony of Madrone, An Tir

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  • purpletigerarcher
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 3, 2004
                      i am 55 yrs old.. and have been to WW twice now camping and also
                      have taken up archery.. even making my own arrows.*smile*.. its been
                      great !! also.. making my own garb... learning more all the time...
                      have a few friends also.. that are not so young . being involved in
                      this has brought me new friends.. both young and old.. so join in..
                      and be happy.. ..........
                      Lady Katrynia of Jararvellir

                      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "ayban_aksakal"
                      <ayban_aksakal@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "CleKHD" <CleKHD@a...> wrote:
                      > > I had a question regarding age. I've looked at several SCA
                      sites
                      > and
                      > > message boards and find it very interesting as I like medieval
                      > > history. However it seems from the photos and the posts that
                      most
                      > of
                      > > the people are in their teens, 20's and 30's. As I am in my
                      40's I
                      > > was wondering if I would be a bit too old to start out as a
                      rookie ?

                      > I'm 46 and just attended my first event in June. I loved every
                      minute
                      > of it!
                      >
                      > -Ayban Aksakal of the Barony of Madrone, An Tir
                    • tonia ewell-thomas
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 5, 2004
                        HI,
                        My husbandandI areboth in ourfourtiesandjust attenedourfirtevent togetherwith our children. We hadthe best time of our livesand madelotsof newfriendsyoung and old.Don't let age stop you from doing what you want to do.
                        Zakiyya