Re: Introduction and some questions (Irish persona/garb/names/da

  • KingArthursPiano@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 21, 2004
      Thank you to everyone that welcomed me and replied to my email!

      recreatinghistory.com - I did get the opportunity to just kind of scan this
      website--it does indeed look to be a necessary resource and is particularly
      easy to navigate and understand for beginners. There's another website out
      there (Eachna's?) that details Irish garb centuries earlier than what I was going
      for, but it provided such excellent background that now the new resources
      are coming together to make sense. The site also mentions some primary texts
      that should be very easily obtainable.

      Alison-- I did indeed go to Hartshorn-dale's newcomers meeting!:) I spoke
      at length with Cateline about beginner's garb and also about names. Prior to
      the meeting, I gave her a last name to check out (a family name from my
      mother's side) and she tracked it back to the exact county and area of the county
      in Ireland that my family is from.

      Thanks for your suggestion on how to approach the timeline. Right now, I
      think I am doing a nice combination of deciding what I would and would not wear
      and what things interest me. I've even located some county-specific
      historians online that may prove to be resourceful as well.

      I would absolutely love to borrow that "Dress in Ireland" book if I can't
      find a copy. I'm going to check in the library and Amazon this week to see
      what I can find.
      ________
      Brangwayna-

      Thanks for your suggestions. Finding info about Irish settlements in
      Britain would indeed be helpful. I'm still pretty open as to the exact time frame
      as I need to do more research on the clothing and history. It seems as
      though information about Irish garb and history comes in clumps (whenever there
      was a key figure to document it) so I am probably going to find which 'clump'
      interests me most!

      I am probably going to make an attempt at sticking to the British Isles when
      it comes to garb and accessories. The various approaches to the subject are
      definitely noted.
      _________
      Justin-
      Thanks for your take on garb. Your Byzantine persona sounds quite
      interesting! You also bring up a good point--the consideration of actually wearing
      garb to events. I really hadn't thought about the practicality of clothing
      beyond using all natural fabrics for the heat, etc.

      Thanks again, everyone... looks like I've got some more researching to get
      to :)

      Tara

    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 21, 2004
        On Wednesday 21 July 2004 06:19, KingArthursPiano@... wrote:
        > Justin-
        > Thanks for your take on garb.  Your Byzantine persona sounds quite
        > interesting!  You also bring up a good point--the consideration of actually
        >  wearing garb to events.  I really hadn't thought about the practicality of
        >  clothing beyond using all natural fabrics for the heat, etc.

        I'm glad you found it helpful.

        The point you mention here, about practicality in various types of weather,
        is one reason why we call what we wear "garb" instead of "costume." The
        clothing worn by SCA members is actually meant to be used in (simulated)
        real life, reather than just shown at a performance.

        Brangwayna has recently posted some very useful comments on how certain
        very authentic fabrics, such as linen, are also extremely practical in the
        re-creation environment. You may want to have a look at the list archives.
        Although the topic of authenticity can be a little contentious, with each
        person having his or her own tradeoff point between authenticity and
        convenience/cost, sometimes there are good compromises that achieve both.
        Read up on the subject, then decide what approach is best for you, and
        remember that you can evolve your wardrobe over time, as you gain
        experience and knowledge.

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Aksham
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 21, 2004
          My best piece of advice to new people has always been "Choose a persona
          whose clothing you would like to afford, make and wear all day". Seriously.
          And it's a big reason why I went with a Middle Eastern persona. I can wear
          pants and loose dresses and can sew these things at my intermediate sewing
          level. I can also dress myself. Elizabethan is beautiful, but I've heard
          horror stories about how many layers are under the dress and it taking a
          half hour and an extra pair of hands to get dressed - not to mention how
          many yards of fabric must be purchased to make such an outfit. Some people
          love it. I know that I would go mad. ;)

          So yes, actually wearing your garb is a big deal.
          Kate

          > > Thanks for your take on garb. Your Byzantine persona sounds quite
          > > interesting! You also bring up a good point--the consideration of
          actually
          > > wearing garb to events. I really hadn't thought about the practicality
          of
          > > clothing beyond using all natural fabrics for the heat, etc.
          >
          > I'm glad you found it helpful.
          >
          > The point you mention here, about practicality in various types of
          weather,
          > is one reason why we call what we wear "garb" instead of "costume." The
          > clothing worn by SCA members is actually meant to be used in (simulated)
          > real life, reather than just shown at a performance.
          >
          > Brangwayna has recently posted some very useful comments on how certain
          > very authentic fabrics, such as linen, are also extremely practical in the
          > re-creation environment. You may want to have a look at the list archives.
          > Although the topic of authenticity can be a little contentious, with each
          > person having his or her own tradeoff point between authenticity and
          > convenience/cost, sometimes there are good compromises that achieve both.
          > Read up on the subject, then decide what approach is best for you, and
          > remember that you can evolve your wardrobe over time, as you gain
          > experience and knowledge.
          >
          > Justin
          >
          > --
          > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
          > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two
          > keys fesswise reversed sable.
          >
          > Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio) http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          > justin@... PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • chemistbb3
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 21, 2004
            One of the groups around here recently held a frugal garb contest.
            They set a limit of $25 to cover all the materials used. The winner
            was a pretty nice Elizabethan gown without synthetic fiber fabric at
            just under the limit. I have also seen a couple of Elizabethan gowns
            that were made of fabric from curtians they got from garage sales.

            William

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Aksham" <chatelaine@c...> wrote:
            >....Elizabethan is beautiful, but I've heard
            > horror stories about how many layers are under the dress and it
            taking a
            > half hour and an extra pair of hands to get dressed - not to
            mention how
            > many yards of fabric must be purchased to make such an outfit...

            > Kate
          • Aksham
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 21, 2004
              Hehe.. I've heard the curtains stories. Apparently, they work really well!
              I meant the gown with the corset and the bustle and all the under skirts.
              The whole works.

              Kate