Re: [SCA Newcomers] Introduction and some questions (Irish persona/garb/names/da

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19, 2004
      On Monday 19 July 2004 07:52, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
      > Some people also do something known as "time travelling", where they have a
      > variety of outfits from different cultures and time frames and wear
      > whichever they feel like wearing at the moment.

      Well said. Another variant on this strategy:

      My persona is Byzantine. The noble classes in Byzantium in my time period wore
      garments that are really not practical for outdoor events and camping. So I
      have garb that is documentable Byzantine court garb, which I wear for formal
      occasions. At other times, I wear "generically SCA medieval" garb. My persona
      explains this as, "When I travel among people who live in western Europe, it
      is sensible to dress as the local people do so that I do not attract undue
      attention from robbers or highwaymen." Instead of presuming that I travel in
      time, I presume that I travel in space.

      If you think about it, there is a certain amount of local adaptation that one
      would have *had* to do in period. Garb appropriate to southern Italy or the
      Middle East would not have allowed survival in the mountainous Slavic or Norse
      lands' icy winters. People in the Middle Ages who travelled would have adapted
      to local climate just as modern people do --- think of a family from Maine
      taking a vacation in Florida. No way will they wear their goose-down parkas!

      In period, a person from 15th century Italy who encountered someone dressed in
      11th century Byzantine garb probably would *not* think, "How odd! That person
      is out of period!" Rather, they would think, "Interesting. That man is obviously
      from some very distant foreign country." Most people in the Middle Ages lived
      and died within a few miles of where they were born; long-distance travel was
      for the merchant class and nobility, mostly. So the average person didn't know
      the difference between current foreign fashion versus earlier or later period
      fashion in the same foreign country. In the SCA, we can take advantage
      of that fact to give us a little "free hand-waving" to hide our differences in
      time period and culture in a way that makes sense in the in-game world.
      It's not strictly accurate, but it is accurate enough for our purposes.

      We study the Middle Ages as they actually were, but re-create them with some
      editorial license to make it more fun, safe, and practical in our modern
      real-world society.

      keys fesswise reversed sable.