Re: [SCA Newcomers] Introductions

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14, 2004
      In a message dated 7/14/2004 2:24:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<With me comes a troop of living Beings...my mare, in persona is a
      gypsy cob and a 190 lb dog named Joseph. (I understand there is a
      debate about animals being allowed on the grounds? Indeed? Can
      someone inform me?)>>

      It's not so much a debate as a matter of mundane (non-SCA) rules regarding
      site use. The SCA in the vast majority of cases holds its events at rented
      sites such as campgrounds, church halls, etc. Whether or not animals are allowed,
      and which animals, is largely a function of the site owner's feelings on the
      subject, and sometimes of mundane law Some site owners allow only certified
      assistance animals such as guide dogs, which they are required to do by law;
      others allow most animals, but sites that allow horses (or have proper
      provisions for stabling and caring for them) are fairly rare, at least in my part of
      the world (East Kingdom, specifically Pennsylvania). Then there are the various
      issues of transporting animals to different areas of the country; as a horse
      owner, you are no doubt aware that to travel to certain places with your
      horse, you need to carry proof of certain vaccinations and test results. Some
      areas are the same about dogs, and there might even be a few areas which require
      dogs to be quarentined for a certain period of time when they arrive. Besides
      checking with the autocrat (person running the event) about the site rules
      regarding animals, you may also want to check with the local mundane government.

      <<I would like some practical advise about costuming, especially in
      regard to genders. In my time period (1200's or earlier, I havent
      decided..it depends upon the foreced migration)the genders wore the
      same clothing. But try as I might, i have not found any reference to
      what kind of clothing. Its as though, the People didnt exist until
      Christianity came in to their lives. Or maybe I am just not finding
      the right sights. >>

      As some one else posted, there is little to no written evidence regarding the
      Rom until the 15th century, but I have heard others say that for the most
      part they wore whatever the poorer class in the area they lived in wore, with
      some cultural markers. If that is the case, I would find it hard to believe that
      both genders wore the same clothing, as that is not a feature of any medieval
      culture that I am aware of (quite the opposite, in fact), and I'd be
      surprised to find it a feature of Indian culture of the time period either - although
      since I know mostly of more modern Indian culture, I could well be wrong.
      Unfortunately, folk memory and custom are not always the accurate sources that
      one might think. The Irish, for instance, are greatly associated with potatos
      in their modern culture, and one might well assume that the early medieval
      Irish were also. However, potatos are a new world foodstuff; they didn't grow
      naturally in Europe and so weren't used by anyone there until well after the
      discovery of the new world in the late 1400s. The association of the Irish and
      potatos actually comes from the 18th and 19th century. Most "traditional
      costume" is also much less old than one might suspect, the association of the Scots
      with both plaid and kilts being the most famous example. Contrary to popular
      belief and movies, the Scots weren't wearing either plaid or kilts as a
      national costume in the Middle Ages - in fact, the concept of a "national costume"
      hardly exists, although you will see minor stylistic differences between, say
      the English and the French or the German styles at a certain time period.

      <<And I would like some advice on how to know where to land. So many
      groups! >>

      The best place to land first is your local group, so you can meet people and
      get involved. Over time, you will learn of other non-geographic groups which
      suit your interests and can get involved with those as well. I do happen to
      know that there are some people with Rom personas, one of whom seems to have
      done a great deal of research in the area, on the www.pennsic.net site; go to
      the message boards and ask your question on the Newbie Advice board, and I'll
      bet Dulcy will get in touch with you straightaway.

      Lancaster, PA